Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This morning's commute was a bliss with it being half term. It was extra quiet due to the road closure half way. I managed to get by on the verge but the barriers were rather firm and covered most of the verge too. There was no works but when I got to work I found out it was closed for works on a gas main, so I decided to take a different way home. The only other thing this morning's commute was notable for was that I beat the rain. About 30mins after I got to work it turned torrential and rained for about 5 hours.

My different route was via a small little rain not much wider than 2.5m and flooded in places particularly at the end where it was flooded for 20m or more. I am not too familiar with the lane so I decided to cautiously climb the verge again. At least it was in the twilight, a few weeks ago it would have been pitched black.

The commuter is out of the way so I have room to move in my tiny flat but I'll have to remember to dig it out and give it a good clean at the weekend.

It felt like riding through treacle into the headwind on the way to work. And the tailwind was not as strong as I hoped on the way home.
Ditto. After all that effort this morning I was expecting something bigger tonight :scratch:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I am not enjoying the wind so far this week - according to the readings from my Garmin Venu & Garmin Connect I have done the equivalent of 122 minutes of "Intensity" in just 53 miles of commuting. in a normal week I dont get anything at all! Add in today's heavy rain and the predicted high winds for Wednesday & Friday (I have Thursday off) and it looks like being one of the worst weeks for quite some time.

Alex321

Veteran
I am not enjoying the wind so far this week - according to the readings from my Garmin Venu & Garmin Connect I have done the equivalent of 122 minutes of "Intensity" in just 53 miles of commuting. in a normal week I dont get anything at all! Add in today's heavy rain and the predicted high winds for Wednesday & Friday (I have Thursday off) and it looks like being one of the worst weeks for quite some time.
Friday is the only other day I'm due to go in, and that is when the storm is supposed to hit down here (Northern parts of the UK get it much earlier).

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Last nights commute.. yuk. Dark, cold and wet, very wet. Not at all pleasant. Got home doing a very good impression of a drowned rat. The commute was made even worse by a bus deciding to overtake then pull in immediately, leaving me kno room. Tosser. He got the finger alright.

So that was rainy commute #4 for the year
Same period last year 5 rainy commutes

This mornings commute, a whole world of difference. Mildly warm with temperatures in double figures. Meant I had to change my jacket for a windcheater and long finger gloves for mits. Nice and sunny out but boy it was a bit blowy. Going to be even windier apparently for the ride home.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Fair old headwind on the way in, looks promising for the way home though:crazy:

Except the last 4 miles are a bit of a dog leg, so I'll have a cross to headwind, better not end up in the canal with a 55 mph gust. :laugh:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
If the wind here is going to be worse on Friday than it is today, there is no way I'll be on the bike.
Its not often I bail out of a windy ride as here in London it's rarely that bad. But there's predicted 66mph winds.. so think will be working from home that day.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The Boss has just phoned saying if it's bad later, I could cycle over to her in Salford for a lift home - I said the bike is covered in mud, so I'll cycle :laugh:

I'll probably beat her home. I'm more likely to get hurt cycling over to Salford than from a little bit of wind.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Boss texted me yesterday evening and she asked if I would prefer to work from home as it would be windy. Replied I wasn't sure and that I was planning to be onsite as planned to use mixing machinery in the pilot plant. Then replied again 30 minutes later saying that it could wait until Monday. There's only a couple of us so the department is closed today.

Not actually that windy at the time I would have left but forecast to strengthen. Nice because my cat would have been at home alone a long time today as Ms P will be out all day.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Boss texted me yesterday evening and she asked if I would prefer to work from home as it would be windy. Replied I wasn't sure and that I was planning to be onsite as planned to use mixing machinery in the pilot plant. Then replied again 30 minutes later saying that it could wait until Monday. There's only a couple of us so the department is closed today.

Not actually that windy at the time I would have left but forecast to strengthen. Nice because my cat would have been at home alone a long time today as Ms P will be out all day.

Shite, an engineer turned up to fix the X-ray machine and I was sitting on my arse at home.

It is actually windy now though.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Very little wind when I got up this morning, but a quick line of rain showers heralded a big pick-up in the wind strength. Nothing too bad and still cyclable, but I decided to use one of the bikes fitted with flat pedals so that I can get off & walk comfortably if it does get really bad/unsafe on the way home. Also cut the mileage back from the usual 10-12 miles in to just under 6 keeping to the mostly sheltered areas, and the seafront stretch into the wind was 'interesting'

Top Bottom