Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Slight obstacle this morning. Had to remove panniers, climb up bank with bike, hoist over two tree trunks, slide back down, then crawl under tree to get my panniers. I'll have to repeat tonight unless I get google maps out now.
View attachment 629164
If you're lucky, somebody will have been out with a chainsaw before you go home. Is that canal actually used by boats? They will want to keep the towpath clear if it is (even though canal boats aren't generally towed by horses nowadays).

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Can't believe it's taken until February, but first wet commute of the year this morning.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If you're lucky, somebody will have been out with a chainsaw before you go home. Is that canal actually used by boats? They will want to keep the towpath clear if it is (even though canal boats aren't generally towed by horses nowadays).

Quite a few boats moored a few hundred yards away. Would make good timber for their log burners. Going via the back roads tonight as not trying that again in the pitch black.

It was forecast to be a bit damp, cloudy ad a little blowy today but thankfully it was nothing like that. I was glad I had decided to wear overshoes as there might have been a slight rainfall over night but nothing major. By the evening it was totally clear and I managed to dash out of the office in enough time to have twighlight for the unlit twisty roads (except for a hollow in a heavily wooded bit) and it didn't go pitch black untill I was on the partially lit main road and cycle paths. Lol, I forgot that it brings out the ninja's :ph34r: and I made a wrong turning up a short sharp hill realised by mistake turned round and descended. I never clocked the ninja :ph34r: until I was at the cycle path giveway and slammed on the brakes but with the bend and sharpness of the hill combined with my momentum I had a clipless moment :laugh: I probably would have modulated it better on one of my other bikes but the cheap commuter (a Btwin 500) whilst good value doesn't quite have as good brakes and I'm not using them regularly, so it caught me out :shy:

rivers

How far can I go?
It was dry and warm-ish this morning, so I thought "F*ck it, I'll take the summer bike today". I love riding my Sublime. It's such a fun bike on the roads. The only downside is the pedals (for commuting). They're Look Keo compatible power meter pedals, so not great for walking. It wasn't an issue when I lived in Bristol and cycled straight to work, but now I have the added fun of the train and meandering through stations. Looks like I'll be ordering some shoe covers so I don't eat through my cleats.

Alex321

Veteran
Back into the office today for the first time since the week before Christmas.
Nice easy ride in. Not much wind, but what there was, was a tailwind :smile:
Temperature 7C, which is very warm for 7-8AM at the start of February.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Flat this morning, sounded like a gun shot when it went bang, I think the woods valve went pop, I have had this before and it sounded the same.

Did not bother to repair as I was only a 15 minute walk from work and changing a tube on this Gazelle is a real process. I have some Marathon Plus incoming for these and new tubes so will get them fitted when they arrive. Fortunately direct route home is only 30 min walk so I will walk home tonight and pop up with the car later and bring it home. Luckily with a decent stable of bikes I can just ride an alternative to work tomorrow.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
The HC changes made me feel more empowered taking primary through a pinch point this morning.

Had a reportable close pass from a bus further up the road, punishment for not using the shared pavement perhaps.

The shared pavement is coned off with a missing manhole cover a little further up the road though, so I have very good reasons not to use it. Either way it doesn't justify a bus driver skimming me.

Reported to the police and to the bus company. The latter will say "sorry you have complained" to me, and that's about it.

Not a commute story but it is related. For some time I have been trying to get the IT dept to agrea that me bringing in my laptop by bike over rough ground over 40 miles is likely going to end up with me breaking it at some time, I used to have a Tower PC at work as well as my laptop but that got taken off me durring lockdown. ( my part of the company got sold off and my tower PC was put on the old companies inventory) Today they have agread to give me a Tower PC to leave at work, result! hopefully soon no more lugging that around.
Next job is to get the new owners to build me a shower room.......

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
The dry spell ended and I rode to work in light rain. Sitting at my desk and I was lucky with the timing today because it's hammering down now (there's a big metal roof above me and it get's noisy when it rains)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Like you @palinurus light drizzle for half the commute, the first half being quite mild and dry. Buggerations, got a puncture about half mile from work. Couldn't be arsed to fix roadside so walked rest of the way. Walked through the door then all hell broke loose with a mad windy cloudburst.
Looking at the forecast it's clearing eastwards and away, so looking like a dry commute home this afternoon.

So that's rainy commute #2 for the year, #2 over all
Same period last year 4 rainy commutes.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I got lucky with the weather - the rain started just as I switched on the PC in the office. It was a bit of a cold & breezy ride in though. The sun has just come out.

Alex321

Veteran
Light rain when I left home this morning, but had stopped by about 15 minutes in. Roads still pretty wet thougfh, so must have been heavier overnight.

Dry for the ride home, but quite windy and several degrees colder.

Top Bottom