Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A real puddle fest on the canal path this morning but my Spatx GravelR overshoes kept me dry and toastie. ( Expensive but worth it to me)
for the the 3rd commute in a row some right Karen has told me to slow down, the Thursday one I would give the benefit of the doubt as she was coming towards me and I was doing over 15 but still plenty of room, Fridays the same woman, I saw her and slowed down to 9mph and she still waved and shouted. Today was a real pee take as I was on a wide open part of the path doing 15mph and the woman in question wasnt on the canal path but on a boat.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
First, commute in 2.5 weeks this morning and it is Half Term so the roads were empty.

It was one of those pleasant autumn commutes we dream about, treated myself to a MacDonalds breakfast muffin when I got in too.
Going to take a wander to Evans at lunch to try and find a light I can mount to the rear mudguard.

IMG_20221024_075940.jpg

On the way home I came across some Orthodox Jews Canoeing , all in normal Orthodox Jew clothes no neoprene in sight. One guy was on the bank pulling a circa 10 yr year old in a canoe. The bloke was very,very wet. I presume good old Dad had,had to leap in to rescue his son from some mishap. Luckily its quite warm for this time of year, I hope he had a change of clothes as travelling home wet through will be no fun.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Still in shorts and shot sleeves. 12° When I left home for the rise to work this morning. At this rate it's going to be into November by the time I have to wear warmer clothing. :wacko: Not that I'm complaining of course.

Had a bit of drizzle for about 10 minutes so will class it as a rainy commute
Rainy commute #29 for the year
Last year in the same period, 30 rainy commutes.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Still in shorts and shot sleeves. 12° When I left home for the rise to work this morning. At this rate it's going to be into November by the time I have to wear warmer clothing. :wacko: Not that I'm complaining of course.

Had a bit of drizzle for about 10 minutes so will class it as a rainy commute
Rainy commute #29 for the year
Last year in the same period, 30 rainy commutes.

I wore long sleeves and long bibs this morning, I was probably a ouch warm when I arrived at work.
Lovely empty roads again and plenty of fellow riders.

Alex321

Veteran
I haven't gone in yet this week (I usually Do Wednesday & Friday), but have been wearing arm warmers for the ride in (leaving at 7AM) for the last couple of weeks, not using them on the ride home. No leg warmers or longs on the legs yet though.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
16° this morning at 7.30am which is ridiculous for the time of year. Jackets, arm warmers and longs are a long forgotten memory at the moment. But hey, I'm not complaining. Along with the nice and clear school run roads, it made for a very nice, normal route, extended by an extra 4 miles, cycle commute.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It was warm this morning - bit of a fair old breeze too. There has been a drop in cyclist numbers on the Fallowfield Loop in the dark though, numbers OK in evening. Impressed with the new lights with the 'cut off' - really do keep the light down on the ground with no spill upwards.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It was warm this morning - bit of a fair old breeze too. There has been a drop in cyclist numbers on the Fallowfield Loop in the dark though, numbers OK in evening. Impressed with the new lights with the 'cut off' - really do keep the light down on the ground with no spill upwards.

What new lights have you got Fossy?

fossyant

What new lights have you got Fossy?

Ali Express - took two weeks (£20 each when you add VAT, no customs).

Newboler lights, where the LED is tucked in the top of the lamp, so it's mainly reflector. 1000 lumens max, but all on the road, and nothing above waist height. RockBros do similar.

It's the LIG520 at about £15, but then add on at checkout for VAT etc.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003745985767.html?pdp_npi=2@dis!GBP!£20.53!£10.47!!!!!@0b0a0ac216667746229168941e0565!12000028575287590!sh01&spm=a2g0o.store_pc_home.productList_6001924728423.pic_0

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Ali Express - took two weeks (£20 each when you add VAT, no customs).

Newboler lights, where the LED is tucked in the top of the lamp, so it's mainly reflector. 1000 lumens max, but all on the road, and nothing above waist height. RockBros do similar.

It's the LIG520 at about £15, but then add on at checkout for VAT etc.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003745985767.html?pdp_npi=2@dis!GBP!£20.53!£10.47!!!!!@0b0a0ac216667746229168941e0565!12000028575287590!sh01&spm=a2g0o.store_pc_home.productList_6001924728423.pic_0

How long do they last on a charge?
I'm still using my Hope Vision 1's. Great lights and last a weeks worth of dark commute with 4 rechargeable AAA batteries.
But looking for a back up.

fossyant

How long do they last on a charge?
I'm still using my Hope Vision 1's. Great lights and last a weeks worth of dark commute with 4 rechargeable AAA batteries.
But looking for a back up.

Not sure yet. I'm charging every day as just plug it into the work laptop. I charge once a day, and the lights are on low-high for two hours a day.

Top Bottom