Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I'm afraid with 40 knot winds and heavy rain I bailed and took the car. Shame on me:sad: On the plus side, found my spare rack and ordered mudguards for the new commuter, so maybe next week that'll get some action...

Reactions: C R

Alex321

Veteran
I'm afraid with 40 knot winds and heavy rain I bailed and took the car. Shame on me:sad: On the plus side, found my spare rack and ordered mudguards for the new commuter, so maybe next week that'll get some action...

Me too :sad:

Then the winds actually died down enough during the day that I could have coped.

Well that was the first commute in the dark and I had forgotten how dark the country lanes were. My lights didn't seem to cut it tonight but I think I must've had their angles right last year as the same lights seemed better then. I could have done with those guards I was looking at too on the way home. It started to rain pretty heavy at circa 8 miles and a few minutes later the sky was lit up followed quickly by a bang. I spent the rest of the commute in a near primary position to avoid the flooding. I think it was so bad that none of the drivers seemed to mind, even though the roads were busy. On the positive the morning had been completely dry, the roads were quiet and the threatened head wind all the way wasn't half as strong as forecasted.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Really pissed down on the way home yesterday- ducked down a footpath to shelter under a tree! the really heavy rain didn't last long. Happier than I would normally be with the rain because I have a new jacket and I got to use it.

Also I prefered it dark in the morning.

Alex321

Veteran
Decided to risk the wind today. Not bad at all on the way in, but there was a tree down over the road just outside Welsh St Donats. I was just about able to scramble through the branches, carrying my bike. Would have been a fairly significant detour otherwise.

Half term here, so roads nice & quiet once I reached the city, though being a few minutes late due to the tree meant I came across several rubbish trucks.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Really pissed down on the way home yesterday- ducked down a footpath to shelter under a tree! the really heavy rain didn't last long. Happier than I would normally be with the rain because I have a new jacket and I got to use it.

Also I prefered it dark in the morning.

2 nights in a row I've had the same. Very heavy rain.
Rainy commutes # 31 & # 32
Finally over taken last years to date at 31.
Mainly due to the rains over the past month.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
MOT Day yesterday so I went to our office up the road on my Brompton, but car was not ready :-(

Today back in the City Center and the roads where very busy, but it was dry and a nice temp. 47 mins door to door even going a quieter route still makes for probably the quickest way for me to get to the office.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Shoes and lid still wet,n+1 counts for more than bikes 👍

Alex321

Veteran
Wind increased considerably during the day, to the point where I wimped out and took the train for most of my journey home. Meant about a mile from the office to Cardiff central, then almost 3 miles from Pontyclun home. Much better than the 15 miles with a strong headwind if I'd cycled all the way home.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oh my word it was so horrible. Luckily not cold, but just like you I took it steady.

First half of my commute was horrible, but it eased off the last bit. I was about 6 minutes slower but in full waterproofs. Shoes lovely and dry when I got home. Just oiled the chain and squirted WD40 on both mechs. I'll wash the bike tonight. Chain looks like an oil bath though. That will get 'mickled' later.

Totally different weather this morning, dry and no wind. Leaf mulch is building up on the paths, some places quite deep.

Top Bottom