Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Bib tights and my Galibier jacket today, but I managed to miss the rain both ways.

Was busy this morning, I noticed I was whizzing past lots more cars than usual, the chaps I was sat with today said it took them an extra 45 drive this morning, so 1.5 hours, i am 45 mins door to door including locking up, they all live pretty close to me.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
That pesky, large full moon trying to jump through my bike frame on the commute home tonight.
20221108_174223.jpg

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I've managed to avoid most of the bad weather of the past couple of weeks - up untill this afternoon. I knew there was a bit of rain coming thanks to the rain radar online so the waterproofs went on as I left work, but I don't know why I bothered as nothing would have stopped the 15 minutes of heavy rain followed by another 10 minutes of torrential downpour that followed. The only bit that stayed dry was my feet thanks to a pair of Sugoi overshoes.

I stupidly thought with the rail strike being called off last Friday, the rail network would be sorted by today and the rail web site saying only 1-2 trains per hour into London was wrong. It was right and I could of had an extra 1/2 in bed. The only benefit with being early I missed the rain when cycling to the station. The other benefit I got first into the bike space (it usually empty but another 3 bikes got in after me). Then as we progressed down the line the train got rammed. But if by magic the cyclists one by one got off in the right order and most of the standing people were nice and polite.
The cycling bit of the AM commute with me being a bit later saw the main school chaos near the start and when I got to town it was mostly over. However the dual carriageway was a complete standstill except the free flow left turn onto it which I was in. Mr Audi driver decided that he wanted to drift over the hatching into it. I found out a second later why he was so oblivious of nearly wiping me out. He was on the mobile; where's Cycling Mikey when you need him 😉
The PM commute started with a flat and it was pitch dark through the rural lanes so I didn't go flat out. That meant I got a later train than usual. Which turned out to be a blessing it was a faster slow train (only stopping every third station) and it was relatively quiet and I got on and got a seat with the bike straight away (First time that has ever happened).😎

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Checked the rain radar before leaving home this morning with nothing showing, got a few yards up the road and there were a few drops of rain, followed up by continual rain for the whole ride to work. I'd missed the warning on the Netweather site that they weren't getting updates from the Met Office due to a technical problem.
Everything is now dry thanks to the air dryer we have in the locker room and it looks like it may be a dry & sunny ride home.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Checked the rain radar before leaving home this morning with nothing showing, got a few yards up the road and there were a few drops of rain, followed up by continual rain for the whole ride to work. I'd missed the warning on the Netweather site that they weren't getting updates from the Met Office due to a technical problem.
Everything is now dry thanks to the air dryer we have in the locker room and it looks like it may be a dry & sunny ride home.

Download an app called weather&radar. A great app with live rain radar.
I also checked this morning. It told me it would rain for the first half hour of my commute. It was pretty much spot on.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Training day at work rather than WFH, so thought I'd try the new commuter. Only finished getting the rack and lights on this week. A good day tp test with a proper headwind all the way home which would have been hard work to do 10mph, on the new bike a little E assist and it was around 15mph with a decent bit of effort. Anyone who thinks electric takes all the work out is mistaken, it just makes you try harder!

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Training day at work rather than WFH, so thought I'd try the new commuter. Only finished getting the rack and lights on this week. A good day tp test with a proper headwind all the way home which would have been hard work to do 10mph, on the new bike a little E assist and it was around 15mph with a decent bit of effort. Anyone who thinks electric takes all the work out is mistaken, it just makes you try harder!
I've left mine in minimum assist and find myself trying to keep above the assist cut off speed as much as possible as a challenge - to the extent that I got 195 miles of commuting out of the first charge when the battery dropped below 25% about a mile from home. You don't half get a bit of a work out on a 15kg bike (Ribble Hybrid ALe) doing this, but the light boost is wonderful around town and I've not used any other bike on the commute since I got it.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I've left mine in minimum assist and find myself trying to keep above the assist cut off speed as much as possible as a challenge - to the extent that I got 195 miles of commuting out of the first charge when the battery dropped below 25% about a mile from home. You don't half get a bit of a work out on a 15kg bike (Ribble Hybrid ALe) doing this, but the light boost is wonderful around town and I've not used any other bike on the commute since I got it.

Similar here, 105 miles so far on the fully charged battery it came with, 42% left and predicted 71 miles on the app. Agree, you get a decent workout pulling all the weight around, Cannondale Topstone Neo SL2, same drive system and weight I would imagine.

biking_fox

Guru
Really blowy in manchester last couple of days, unseasonably warm. Between two buildings had a channelled gust headwind and could barely move forwards at all fortunately eased off again. Nice not to have the rain .

Top Bottom