Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
last commute of the week on lates thank gawd , had a block headwind all the way home all week .
Friday nights mean less traffic but there are people wandering around after midnight who i try to give a wide berth as you never know how drunk/stupid/ violent they could be at that time of the day and had one stagger into the road as i went past .
At least my knee has been getting better since i got rid of the shoes that were wrong for me and im starting to enjoy riding again .
In another week it will be a year since i twatted my collar bone and i have really bounced back cycling wise as im as strong as i ever was and my mileage is higher than some full years already

Last edited:

biking_fox

Guru
Soggy this morning. And will continue sogging all day - hopefully letting up enough for the ride home.

Innovative ways to beat the rain - saw a gentleman carrying his child in one arm, steering with the other, and the child bravely holding an umbrella. Rather them than me.

First commute in over 2 weeks ( missus with Covid, then on holiday) .
A misty rain but I was enjoying being back on a bike.
I was catching a middle aged guy on the canal path on his 26 inch wheel MTB, we were coming to a gate that then led onto tarmac. The transition from canal path to tarmac had quite a big step to it so I hung back to let him negotiate it. He realised I was behind him and he waved me past, I picked the smallest step, lifted my front wheel and lightened the load on the rear and was away . He however probably due to letting me past managed to pick the biggest step, got his front wheel up it, but his rear smacked into the ledge and I heard the sound of rim on something hard., then the sound of air escaping and a bit of swearing.
I felt a little bit reponsible for it so stopped to see if I could help. He was in a snotty mood and said it was the last time he would try to help someone and was a bit aggressive. My feeling of guilt evaporated and left him to it.

cyberknight

Soggy this morning. And will continue sogging all day - hopefully letting up enough for the ride home.

Innovative ways to beat the rain - saw a gentleman carrying his child in one arm, steering with the other, and the child bravely holding an umbrella. Rather them than me.

I Dodged a bullet today as it's awful ,off work today so no commuting.I had ideas about a quick spin but I don't think I will bother ☔

cyberknight

I Dodged a bullet today as it's awful ,off work today so no commuting.I had ideas about a quick spin but I don't think I will bother ☔

Lol, I had tried to stop my front mudguard from skiffing the tyre under braking. Found out on the way to the station I had made it worse. It's only just over a mile to the station so I decided to fettle it on the train. It worked, which was a good thing as it was rather wet for the 11miles at the other end. Not much really to report except in a lot of places I was the only person who had a moving vehicle 😂

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Proper soggy this morning, left about 30 mins later than my ideal set off time due to a rubbish sleep as my youngest was having growing pains in the night.

I also noticed this morning my new front light had arrived yesterday but noone had told me, so I faffed with the mount a bit too. Only a cheap one but I saw a nice review and tool a punt.

Actual ride was fine but busy, plenty of traffic beating and not too many knobbers.

Ride home should have been dry but my bottoms and gloves where still wet.

IMG_20221115_173853.jpg

si_c

Guru
Proper soggy this morning, left about 30 mins later than my ideal set off time due to a rubbish sleep as my youngest was having growing pains in the night.

I also noticed this morning my new front light had arrived yesterday but noone had told me, so I faffed with the mount a bit too. Only a cheap one but I saw a nice review and tool a punt.

Actual ride was fine but busy, plenty of traffic beating and not too many knobbers.

Ride home should have been dry but my bottoms and gloves where still wet.

View attachment 668158

Good trick when commuting is always have a dry pair of gloves for the ride home. That and dry socks.

Alex321

Veteran
Oooh Posh. Find a radiator for the shoes :okay: Or keep a spare pair in the office and rotate them.

It has to be very wet for them to be significantly wet 8 hours after wearing them, unless I was caught by surprise and didn't have the overshoes on.

I do like our office though. Shower and tumble drier for the cyclist (or runners etc.), two well equipped kitchens, a "breakout"/games area with table tennis, darts, pool, various board games & a beer fridge (with free beer and soft drinks available).

Top Bottom