Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Proper soggy this morning, left about 30 mins later than my ideal set off time due to a rubbish sleep as my youngest was having growing pains in the night.

I also noticed this morning my new front light had arrived yesterday but noone had told me, so I faffed with the mount a bit too. Only a cheap one but I saw a nice review and tool a punt.

Actual ride was fine but busy, plenty of traffic beating and not too many knobbers.

Ride home should have been dry but my bottoms and gloves where still wet.

View attachment 668158

My socks & gloves had just dried out fortunately before I left the office my over shoes were still slightly damp. The overshoes did a good job in keeping the feet drier and warmer though. My softshell jacket had dried out earlier in the day (it doesn't take too long). Lol, a colleague wanted to go to the town at lunch when it was torrential, my jacket had just dried out then and had to explain to him it wasn't worth getting it soaked again and cycling home in a damp jacket.

I perhaps could have done with the new front light I picked up on a black Friday deal. A Garmin Varia UT800. It got successfully delivered when there was no one there to collect it :-/ Although my existing lights seemed to do better through the dark country lanes last night so I am a little underwhelmed by the purchase now :-/

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Three soggy days in a row.

It hurts my bike more than it does me I suppose.
Good trick when commuting is always have a dry pair of gloves for the ride home. That and dry socks.

Spare socks, spare shorts and anti-commando pants in my locker.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Good trick when commuting is always have a dry pair of gloves for the ride home. That and dry socks.
I'm lucky and have a decent drying room, as long as I put the boots on the heater I normally end up with dry kit after a 12hr shift.

I may as well have swum into work last night, windy and only a little rai to start but 4 miles in and it was proper wet rain. Arrived far too early so added an extra 6 miles, after all, once you're wet you're wet, and skin's waterproof.
Chilly ride home in light rain but the wind was against me, the new bike helped:laugh:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Absolutely awful this morning , chucking it down and lots of leaves on the country lane i use,Managed to get the kit dry at work even though its been raining all day and was prepared for another soaking :sad:
Pulled my shoulder at work ,the one i broke last year and i coulndt manage the job at the end so someone i work with who lives close gave me a lift home .I dont normally wimp out but today with the weather, my shoulder and the fact i have a puncture from this morning i would have had to fix before i set off i accepted the offer .

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yep, like others, the whole of this week has been a horrid wash out. This mornings commute was vile. Dark, cold, windy and very wet. Not nice.
Not helped by a cockwomble BMW driver with a stupid matt grey paint job and darkened windows passing so close that his wing mirror near brushed my elbow. It was a good thing he/she got away otherwise they would have had a nice cleat scratch mark down their crappy paintwork. I haven't been that close passed in a long time.

So, rainy commute number 38 for the year (a new yearly record)
Same period of time last year, 34 rainy commutes.

Tomorrow's commute looks dry thankfully.

Last edited:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Wet and wetter today.

Much improved outlook for tomorrow though...

Screenshot_20221117-215123_Met Office.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: C R

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Pretty much avoided the rain yesterday. Just a few light showers on the way in and the first 5 mins of the ride home.

The roads where quiet too.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Lovely but one the edge of chilly ride in this morning. Stopping to wait for my mate for a coffee got me cold.

Ride home was the opposite, cold, wet and miserable. Probably shouldn't have gone in bib shorts.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
made the right decision yesterday as the lanes were starting to flood and the rain didnt stop all night , coming home just after midnight the weather was still dire and the road in places had places where the water was ll the way across .
Shoulder a lot better today so i should be back at it later

Top Bottom