Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
@cyberknight It takes all sorts. Just one of lifes angry people.

So, last nights commute was horrendous for rain and win. The only saving grace was that it wasn't cold. In stark contrast, todays commutes was in bright sunshine blue skies. The roads are still wet and there's a good few huge puddles to negotiate due to the sheer amount of rain we have had recently.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
@cyberknight It takes all sorts. Just one of lifes angry people.

So, last nights commute was horrendous for rain and win. The only saving grace was that it wasn't cold. In stark contrast, todays commutes was in bright sunshine blue skies. The roads are still wet and there's a good few huge puddles to negotiate due to the sheer amount of rain we have had recently.

In other news I managed to get to work today in one piece and it's the first day it hasn't been raining 😂

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Really decent weather today, both ways, one of those days you dream about. I did an extra 4km this morning as my mate was late so I went and met him.

Also, my bottom bracket replacement tested well, it is so quiet and smooth, compared to the original.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Really decent weather today, both ways, one of those days you dream about. I did an extra 4km this morning as my mate was late so I went and met him.

Also, my bottom bracket replacement tested well, it is so quiet and smooth, compared to the original.

cold and foggy for me 1st thing, forecast is 4c for tomorrow morning so i have the bib tights ready just in case

rivers

How far can I go?
I needed to bring my personal laptop into work today as I needed to do some work with a program not available on my work PC. When I bought this laptop a couple of years back, I decided to go for a beefy gaming laptop as I didn't need it for work so it could stay home. Man is it heavy. It was just this massive lump on my back, which I'm not used to. Normally, I commute with a 6 litre saddle bag and a hip pack, so no weight on my back whatsoever. I won't be doing that again in a hurry.

C R

Guru
I needed to bring my personal laptop into work today as I needed to do some work with a program not available on my work PC. When I bought this laptop a couple of years back, I decided to go for a beefy gaming laptop as I didn't need it for work so it could stay home. Man is it heavy. It was just this massive lump on my back, which I'm not used to. Normally, I commute with a 6 litre saddle bag and a hip pack, so no weight on my back whatsoever. I won't be doing that again in a hurry.

My work laptop weighs a ton, despite being pretty slim. I have a short commute, so I cope with a backpack, but I would be getting panniers if it was a longer trip. The worst bit is when standing on the pedals and the backpack starts bouncing.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
OK I finally caved in. I got the leg warmers out of the drawer for the first time since earlier this year. I was pretty cold riding home last night so thought this morning I should go a little toaster, and toastier I was. Still a few cyclists out this morning bare legged. Braver then me, but then again, looking at them, I'm a fair bit older. So need to keep the old knees warm.

Alex321

Veteran
OK I finally caved in. I got the leg warmers out of the drawer for the first time since earlier this year. I was pretty cold riding home last night so thought this morning I should go a little toaster, and toastier I was. Still a few cyclists out this morning bare legged. Braver then me, but then again, looking at them, I'm a fair bit older. So need to keep the old knees warm.

I've had the leg warmers on for the last week now. Did see a cyclist in shorts on the way in yesterday - at 2C.

Last night's ride home was "interesting", with vary variable mist/fog. At some points I could hardly see the side of the road. It was completely clear this morning though. And a degree or two warmer.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I have a pain in my shoulder, my subscapular muscle aches, when it's at its worst it feels like there's a marble stuck between my shoulder blade and my ribs. I think it happened when I was lifting boxes into the loft ten days ago. So I had to cut my commute to 6 miles today. All was well until a Nissan Juke (@ianrauk !!) driver chose to overtake me on the approach to a left turn and then turned side-by-side with me, all within 1.5m.

Although the rear camera was suffering some SD card issues (resolved by reformatting the card in a PC) the helmet camera recorded it successfully so that's another Juke driver getting reported.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
This morning's wet commute has finally done for my shoes. Walking to the bike shed ready to go home, the left one sounded a little 'flappy' so I had a look and found this...
IMG_20221130_162731737.jpg
(picture taken when I got home)
I don't think I've unclipped less on any commute when using SPDs just incase the rest of the sole came away from the body of the shoe. I then had a look at the right shoe before salvaging the cleats from both to transfer to the next pair of shoes (yes I am that tight!) and at least the toe & heel were still attached...

IMG_20221130_163312383.jpg

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Nice to be back on the bike today, not as cold as I dressed for and felt too warm with trousers and long sleeves on the way in, but it was just right for the way home.

Top Bottom