Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Heavy slushy snow this morning, b roads getting a bit dodgy so zwift it is

simongt

Guru
On the way home a couple of days ago, for a short while, I followed a cyclist whose back lamp was flashing alternately red the white for about two seconds per flash. As it's illegal to have a white rear lamp on a bike, what's going on here - ? :whistle:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
On the way home a couple of days ago, for a short while, I followed a cyclist whose back lamp was flashing alternately red the white for about two seconds per flash. As it's illegal to have a white rear lamp on a bike, what's going on here - ? :whistle:
I have seen the same a few times here in London. It's mainly food delivery cyclists.

Flashing lights are annoying in any colour.
As long as they are 1: Not strobe (should be banned) 2: Not overly bright 3: Not at eye level
Then flashing lights are ok. I have both static and flashing, front and rear on my commute bike.
Come the lighter mornings and evenings, the lights come off the bike anyway.

Mike_P

Guru
When driving a flashing light is plainly obvious whereas a static on a bike on its own is often of incidental visibility to the bike and the cyclist themselves.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Looks out window, horizontal sleety headwind all the way home. :sad:

Alex321

Veteran
What is going on is that they are breaking the law.

It is not illegal to sell such lights, and it isn't illegal to use them when off-road.

But it is illegal to use them in that mode when on-road.

Flashing lights are annoying in any colour.

Good. That means they are more likely to be seen.

I always have my rear light on flash mode, and my front light in dull conditions until it gets so dim that I need it ion steady to see with.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Regrettably, had to abandon the scenic route home once the snowdrifts got over a metre deep.

20230309_172603.jpg

Top Bottom