Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Cold one. Lost a few lower gears due to frozen cable within first mile (bike stored in detatched garage) but a few shifts up and down soon had the ice cleared. Hit freezing fog as I got nearer Manchester (from Levenshulme in). Glasses started to freeze over, as did the bike. Frosty frame.
20231129_080501.jpg

fossyant

Hard frost, sheet ice all over the back roads.

Thick leggings, heated gloves, double buff, goretex shoes and thick waterproof socks, MTB with ice spiker tyres.

Toasty warm and very happy!

View attachment 714845

Ice Spikers or the Pro's ? Got the Pro's for the FS and they are bonkers. I commute on Snow Studs, so 104 spikes per tyre rather than 400 on the Ice Spiker Pro. Slippy back roads, but everyone here complaining how cold and horrible it is - they drove in. Lovely morning for a ride though.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It wasn't as cold as I thought it would be this morning. Only a very slight frost here in the sunny south east of Englandshire. The temps are currently showing 4° but feels warmer. The roads are nice and dry though which made for a less stressful commute worrying about frost/ice/black ice.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Ice Spikers or the Pro's ? Got the Pro's for the FS and they are bonkers. I commute on Snow Studs, so 104 spikes per tyre rather than 400 on the Ice Spiker Pro. Slippy back roads, but everyone here complaining how cold and horrible it is - they drove in. Lovely morning for a ride though.

Not sure the exact tyre, I remember they were called Ice Spikers. I'd guess looking at them they're 400 per tyre. Incredibly grippy, you wouldn't know you were on ice at all, but noisier than a chieftan tank!

Was beautiful this morning.

biking_fox

Guru
Yeah cold and patchy fog - although half the time it was just my glasses and not actually foggy. Stayed off the normally untreated cycle paths and kept to the road route in - the school kids were enjoyed sliding on the pavement outside my house, which I took as sign enough to take it carefully! Roads all fine.

Warmth tip - those pit zips you have open all summer: now is the time to close them! Made quite a difference compared to yesterday.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
It wasn't as cold as I thought it would be this morning. Only a very slight frost here in the sunny south east of Englandshire. The temps are currently showing 4° but feels warmer. The roads are nice and dry though which made for a less stressful commute worrying about frost/ice/black ice.

thats my worry too, as mentioned there is a lot of standing water around here from constant flooding and i dont have anything that will run spiked tyres .

Alex321

Veteran
thats my worry too, as mentioned there is a lot of standing water around here from constant flooding and i dont have anything that will run spiked tyres .

No, they don't seem to come in anything under 700x30C, and my bike won't run anything wider than 28C.

I could get spiked tyres for the hybrid I suppose (currently has 38c on it), and use that in these conditions.

fossyant

No, they don't seem to come in anything under 700x30C, and my bike won't run anything wider than 28C.

I could get spiked tyres for the hybrid I suppose (currently has 38c on it), and use that in these conditions.

Do I get some for the cross bike, that would be my third set of spiked tyres, or am I being greedy ? Currently going cheap on Wiggle !

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Full winter wear today. Better than yesterday though, drier sort of cold. Yesterday morning was a sort of damp, penetrating, cold and felt worse. Stuck to trusted routes today- after 30+ years of commuting in the same area I know which areas tend to get icy when the temp is close to freezing, where the frost hollows are. Most of the way gets gritted too.

Dadam

A chilly one, about -1.5. I considered taking the emtb with knobbly tyres but the ground seemed dry. Bits of white frost on the pavements but my commute is all urban and roads are gritted. I was being extra vigilant for potential patches on the cycle paths though, and quite careful on the shared flyover especially its spiral down ramp which had a white frost.

Top Bottom