Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The mild temperatures took me by suprise when I left work for the commute home. Couldn't be buggered to take off outer layers so sweated one out on the ride.
Also got home without any rain in contrast to this mornings damp squib.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Rain held off for the ride in. Upon locking the bike, saw some rusty coloured gunk on the top of the mudguards. Headset lower bearing needs a regrease. Fortunately it's slathered in Marine grease already.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Last night's ride home was a welcome antidote to the journey in - a few pints with good friends then an extended, meandering waft back through the city in the dry and uncharacteristically warm night air.

The ride in this morning was so much more pleasant too; a bit grey out with a little light drizzle, however a million miles away from yesterday's bleakness both inside and outside of my head. Had a good chat with the butcher which went a long way towards addressing yesterday's "your bike's p*ssed on my floor" awkwardness, had a few nice interactions with others and was just generally content to be floating around the city rather than sat in its orbit in the car, destroying my environment and biting chunks out of the steering wheel..

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I still had the legwarmers on for the ride in this morning, but spent most of the ride thinking I could have managed without. Won't put them on for the ride home.
Quite a pleasant ride in altogether. Not nearly as windy as forecast, no rain, temperature never got below 9C

im in thin lycra legwarmers atm, that wind is still bitter !

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
A brilliant ride home today. Left work in a good mood thanks to the still-novel light and relative warmth. Stopped on the only significant descent to see if an old woman apparently struggling up the hill with some baggage wanted a hand; she declined but asking made me feel better than the default total scumbag-b*stard.

Took a non-standard route onto the tow path and into town; stopping at the lights just off folly bridge along with some students on road bikes. One was clearly hyper-competitive, his mate less-so but still trying. Competitive mate hit it hard from the off and I lagged behind from a leisurely start. I caught up with less-competitive-lad maybe halfway up the hill; to be greeted by a double-take and incredulous "what!?" as I slowly hauled my fat, ancient corpse past him on the Brompton; bolt upright at a fairly low cadence.

As the hill steepened I made my intent more obvious and gave it full gas out of the saddle to chase competitive-mate; but unsurprisingly his 20-years-younger frame got his road bike to the top of the hill faster than I could manage. Got a tip of the hat when the other lad caught up at the lights at the top of the hill, which was nice and it was all good fun :smile:

On to the Woodstock road where I encountered an older, epically-grey-bearded chap riding a nice looking Genesis CdF; and complimented him on his choice as I passed him further on.

Had a few other nice interactions with decent folk along the way, and again it was great and so very welcome to be reminded of how nice simply existing can be when in the right mindset and amongst decent people :smile:

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Windy ride home, and the same this morning, but, I avoided the rain. Yesterday was funny with a few staff complaining how bad the traffic was - took someone 90 minutes to drive less than 10 miles.

it was indeed windy last night , even against that headwind which at one point blew me to a standstill i still did 10 in 45 mins

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Very mild this morning. No need for longs or a jacket. The sun even made a very brief appearance.
Bothered by niggly headwinds for yesterday evenings commute, made me work for it. A breeze coming into work though with a nice helping hand on the back.

Top Bottom