Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Very mild this morning, although stifled initially by fog and light drizzle.

Chanced my new long-sleeved 200-weight DHB merino base layer; was going to wear a jacket over the top on account of the moisture but it didn't seem necessary upon leaving the car. Cold to start but quite manageable by the time I warmed up; I suspect these will be too much for the summer so perhaps not as versatile as I'd hoped!

Followed an apparently quite inexperienced bloke on an ebike; it was interesting to see the areas where he gained and lost ground on me - typically pulling away on uphills / downhills and slowly being reeled in again on the straights. Narrowly avoided a four-bike pileup at one of the bridges as none of the parties involved saw fit to use / had a bell. I was still following the other bloke at this point so not really in a position to use mine.. I eventually grew tired of his dithering so made a concerted effort to get by on a wide, well; sighted stretch.

Quite a few people about as one might expect; nice meander through the city in good time so did the last leg on the tow path as well. Very much feels like a corner has been turned :smile:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Well that's more like it. Lovely, milder sunshiny day for this mornings cycle commute. Made even better by running a brand new chain and cassette on the bike.
Hugely enjoyable run in.
Looking even warmer this afternoon. 16° apparently. That's short sleeve jersey weather right there.

Still about 5-6 c when I set off this morning,plus a rubbing noise which I thought was brake rub but turned out the clip holding the rear brake cable had fallen off letting it catch the tyre.turned around and sorted it out with a cable tie

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
New chain day. Went for Shimano because my perception is they last longer than KMC, but the fitting nearly stumped me. Last night I put the guide pin in, and applied the chain tool - when the guide pin promptly snapped.

After a little thought, I drove the pins partially out of a link from the links I had removed, and was able to use those to connect the chain. Plus my local bike mechanic fixed the front derailleur for me on Friday, which had gone out of adjustment.

All good on the way in aside from three close passes to report, one with a bike rack on the roof of the car.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm still in full leggings and long sleeve jersey but was wondering this morning weather (geddit?) it was time to switch to summer gear. I suspect it will be a few weeks of one day this, next day the other.

I'm thinking of shorts tomorrow, and maybe the lightweight long sleeve top. Was sweating profusely on yesterday's ride, but I was going up some monster hills - looks nice out ! (WFH today)

fossyant

New chain day. Went for Shimano because my perception is they last longer than KMC, but the fitting nearly stumped me. Last night I put the guide pin in, and applied the chain tool - when the guide pin promptly snapped.

After a little thought, I drove the pins partially out of a link from the links I had removed, and was able to use those to connect the chain. Plus my local bike mechanic fixed the front derailleur for me on Friday, which had gone out of adjustment.

All good on the way in aside from three close passes to report, one with a bike rack on the roof of the car.

Oh they aren't still doing guide pins. I was hoping the Shimano Ultegra chains were arriving with a quick link. Darn, will raid an existing one instead.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Awoke feeling fully detached for some reason. Into the shower for the year's first necessary morning hair wash having pushed them back to the evenings before the winter to avoid freezing to death on the way in.

Left in good time, car journey unremarkable if rainy.. as if by magic that all cleared by the time I'd parked and I got away with just the base layer.
Began at a gentle waft into the grey and gently got faster, stopped at the butchers and arrived at work in good time. Despite carrying more mass than ideal I'm starting to feel more fit; with noticeable lumpyness to my hamstrings I don't recall from previous periods of intense riding - perhaps because of the B's more upright position.

Now alone in the office with some prescribed, manageble tasks; making the most of the residual detachment with some fuzzy, nostalgic electronica. Not as life-affirmingly wonderful as yesterday's ride, but a welcome, valued start to the day none the less :smile:

Last edited:

fossyant

Bit nippy this morning. Got showered on a couple of times, but just wasn't enough to bother stopping to pop on the waterproof. I seem to be timing it just right at the moment as I've had the door opened for me by a colleague and just cycled into the shelter without stopping - happened last week too.

biking_fox

Guru
Hmmm distinctly not shorts weather. short showers heavy at times.

Two interesting drivers this morning - one straight on past a no-entry sign, which is unusually blatant even for manchester, and the other was a driving instructor's lexus! They've gone up in the world since I took my test in a fiat.

A bit of a stiff headwind this morning but good weather and light so I was looking forward to this evening. I was going a good speed and after climbing the majority of the hills (386ft in 4.7miles) at over 16mph (just 156ft in 6miles to go) I was in for a PB. But something must have been up with the A1. The mile down the hill to Datchworth was queued solid. I was able to go down the outside of the queue but I had to do it cautiously. Traffic was moving again till Kebworth. There traffic was trying to bypass the queue by taking the back road I usually take. Eventually though they are forced back into the queue by a modal filter. After the modal filter I join the road again at the top of a big hill where I do near 30mph for the half mile to St'Evanage. Not tonight though it was queued up as far as I could see. Fortunately at St'Evanage the cycle route I take is completely segregated from the road. You do do have to watch out for glass though it can be littered with it at times. So whilst it was my fastest commute of the year it wasn't close to an overall pb, mind you thats better than anyone in a car they might have had a personal worst ;-)

fossyant

Bit of SCR last night (need to resurrect that thread). Got passed by an e-folder. I was doing 17 mph and he just cruised past. But then he stopped pedalling and still maintained speed, then pedalled again. Couldn't catch him on the drag along the A6 towards Stockport. Caught him at lights but he just cruised away whilst I was out the saddle to get back to speed. Unfortunately for him, we were approaching a slight downhill section. Fair to say, I left him for dead as his assist didn't go as high as 25 mph

Alex321

Veteran
Nice pleasant ride in this morning. Roads still wet from overnight rain, with some quite large puddles, but not much traffic so was able toi swing wide around those.
Virtually no wind, and warm enough to do without legwarmers for the first time on a commute to work this year.

Top Bottom