Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
Cycling into the city to do a few things; passed a lad; late teens, 'walking' a dog in the middle of the road although it's a quiet enough road anyway.
I stated 'walking', as the lad was on roller skates. Thought if the dog suddenly pulls in the wrong direction and it was pulling the lad along at the time, the lad's in trouble - ! :wacko:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Very dense fog this morning so i avoided the country lanes as i could barely see where i was going on the roads with street lights , i didn't feel safe riding in it as i was worried i would not be seen even though i had a bucket load of lights , reflective`s and hi viz.
I was having to wipe the lenses of the glasses every few mins so i had some vision but road in primary most of the way as i could see maybe 20 feet at most .
Coming home i was overtaken on a narrow path exiting work by an ebike, he wasnt pedalling so i can only assume its one of those naughty versions, i shouted appropriate expletives but the chap had earbuds in so probably didnt hear me , work really dont give a monkeys as i see a couple of modded bikes and an e scooter in the cycle bays

Last edited:
Frankenbike dragged out the back of the garage for this mornings commute due to the chainstay breaking on my usual bike.

Only needed air in tyres & was good to go :smile:

20240322_084934.jpg

Last edited:

simongt

Guru
Cycling over to my sister's today, needed to turn right at a crossroads. Saw a car in my mirror at least fifty metres behind me, so I indicated right with my right arm held at right angles to me as is my custom. Said arm was clad in a hi viz fleece with reflective stripes. I moved out into the centre of the road in good time for the turn and the twat in said car behind me decided to zoom past on t'other side of the road. :dry:
Just as well I wasn't planning in turning into one of the several driveways before the crossroads. :whistle:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I did my last-ever bike commute today. Retiring at the end of next week and need to clear out my locker tomorrow. I survived 18 years with two crashes (one in freezing rain, the other when a dozy cyclist rode straight into me) and one on-road puncture. Most of the commutes were on a fixie, because I really hate cleaning bikes in winter.

cyberknight

One puncture in18 years ? I need your sort of roads !
I get about 7-8 a year

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I did my last-ever bike commute today. Retiring at the end of next week and need to clear out my locker tomorrow. I survived 18 years with two crashes (one in freezing rain, the other when a dozy cyclist rode straight into me) and one on-road puncture. Most of the commutes were on a fixie, because I really hate cleaning bikes in winter.

Congratulations - that must feel a bit weird. Excellent work on the commute; the mind boggles at the money you've probably saved, not to mention the health benefits :smile:

Today's commute was largely very pleasant. Left the house in good time in my lovely, newish DHB merino base layer and for the first time bargain-basement Fohn fleece.. both courtesy of CRC's death throes.

The drive was nice, not a lot of traffic and followed for much of the way by a kindred spirit in a van; hanging well back and apparently also happy to roll along at 50-55. Noticed the temp lights were gone from Campsfield road on the way home yesterday, so took this route rather than the recent diversion through the industrial park. A few slow drivers around but they left the dual carriageway's outside lane alone so the car got a bit of an Italian tuneup with some smooth flowing heel-and-toe action at the roundabouts; feeling crisp after stuffing some air in the tyres at the weekend with the track pump.

Out on the bike; the thin cloud diffusing the sunlight but still allowing a reasonably bright sky, with a noticeable absence of wind. Moseyed along the tow path which was pretty sparsely attended. Not that I'm trying but I'm usually amongst the faster traffic; however for the second time I got left for dead by a chap who evidently works at one of the local bike shops (as implied by his T-shirt).

I saw a few other folks on Bromptons; with an honourable mention going to the bloke in town sporting a classic brown houndstooth deerstalker :becool:

Sausages scored it was on to the next bit of tow path; passing some aggy geese. The ride's only blight was the tosser pulling out of one of the hotels in Iffley in some grotty Jeep monstrousity; first I wasn't sure that he'd seen me, then it was clear he had but he continued to slowly drift out until he was over half way across the road when I went past him. I ensured for the rest of the time he was behind me he stayed there, although sadly this wasn't for too long.

Thankfully the tyres held again and my new fleece performed well; the full-length zip combined with sleeve-rolling offering some pretty decent temperature regulation once I'd warmed up.

Feeling pretty good now if a bit tired; looks like the sun is coming out :smile:

cyberknight

I did run durano plus for a while , not as good as marathons but found them not better than my stock tyres for resistance and when i did get get a flat it could take 10 mins just to get the bead off the rim and bent decent tyre levers ,Not the sort of thing you want want mid winter when its cold, pissing it down at 1 am under a street light if your lucky .I ended up running zaffiro pros which offer me a bit of protection but are easy to fix.Doesnt help that where i get 90% of flats is literally covered in glass, gravel , bits that have fell off lorries etc and the council never does anything about it no matter how many times you fill in the appropriate forms .
Couple of weeks ago there was a smash that left massive foil covered insualtion blocks on the cyclepath and guess who had to move them out of the way ? still on the verge where i left them.

Top Bottom