Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

London Female

Über Member
On one of my commutes home this week I saw a cyclist in the distance coming towards me who appeared to have something bobbing up and down on his leg, it wasn't until he got closer I realised it was a small child he had balanced on his left knee.

Coming home tonight I was coming up behind someone going quite slow and weaving about a bit...as I could only see one of his arms I thought maybe he was on a mobile, turned out he was munching on a roll so instead of chastising him I just chuckled! :laugh:

got all kitted up for a nice morning commute ,and was just getting the bike out of the garage and lo and behold, rear tyre is totally flat.. well peeved.. was building up to commuting 5 days a week as well

Surely that is an excuse for a spare bike or at least a spare set of wheels ready for a quick change:tongue: .

haha yea, i am going to be getting a new bike on the cycle to work scheme in a couple of weeks, so will use current hybrid as a backup, with the new bike as my main one

MisterStan

Label Required
A good solo run in this morning, it was warm! A visit from the fairy a couple of miles from work was an unwelcome addition to my ride, but otherwise, no problems.

MisterStan

Label Required
I only have one bike atm, so don't have that option :sad:
Not yet! Have you picked a bike yet?

Not yet! Have you picked a bike yet?

I cant get the ball rolling on the c2w scheme until tuesday(5th of march), and then i aint sure how long it takes for things to get sorted, but I am hoping I ill have it by the end of march, then the hunt starts for a new bike(already had some recommendations from peps on here,thanks):smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Close one there skolly. Phew.

Feeling sluggish this morning as the miles have ramped up the last 3 days with site visits on top of the commute. Can't complain as I am riding in work time.

BSRU

A Human Being
I cant get the ball rolling on the c2w scheme until tuesday(5th of march), and then i aint sure how long it takes for things to get sorted, but I am hoping I ill have it by the end of march, then the hunt starts for a new bike(already had some recommendations from peps on here,thanks):smile:
If it is anything like my workplace it takes ages(it seems).
I apply for the voucher in March but it is not released until next financial year, April, but only after the first pay day in the new financial year which is the last day in April. Then the certificate is sent to HR which take ages to hand them out usually because they get them in the first week of May and because of the bank holiday they are all off that week.
It's always been worth the wait in the end:smile:

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Feel like a real, bona-fide commuter after tonights homeward commute. Ended up on the deck after being left hooked:eek:

No harm done and I feel a bit sheepish for getting caught out in such an obvious manner. I was filtering up the left of traffic as it queued and shuffled towards temporary traffic lights. I usually go on the right but tonight everyone seemed to be giving the marked cycle lane an extra wide berth so I went on the left. A motorist suddenly signaled and simultaneously turned left without thinking/checking (decided on a shortcut to avoid the roadworks maybe?) and despite my best efforts to stop I bounced noisily off the passenger door and mirror. All very amicable and we exchanged details 'just in case' but the thing that really got me was his parting comment "you should really wear a helmet to stop this sort of thing"?!?!?! WTF does that mean? If I wear a helmet will it stop me from being knocked off?

Rest of the journey was fine but I need a new plastic plug for one of my bar-ends :sad:
I am really cautious in unusual traffic backed up for the reason you mention sudden decions to either turn left or right they seem to assume as they are sitting there going nowhere everyone else is, also for the right turners there are lots of clear chances due to the temp lights making for breaks in flow of traffic.

Having said that I put my hands up on Tuesday to not thinking and nearly got wiped by a left turner.

Glad you and the bike are ok

If it is anything like my workplace it takes ages(it seems).
I apply for the voucher in March but it is not released until next financial year, April, but only after the first pay day in the new financial year which is the last day in April. Then the certificate is sent to HR which take ages to hand them out usually because they get them in the first week of May and because of the bank holiday they are all off that week.
It's always been worth the wait in the end:smile:

jeez, that sucks, i am hoping it is only going to be a few weeks, but i get the feeling (due to this all being automated from a web portal) that its going to take a lot longer.

Top Bottom