Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Arghh!!!! Another visit to the tarmac this morning. Quite a few scrapes and bruises this time :B). Just going around a roundabout at about 15-20mph, not a sharp turn, when my bike dissapeeared from under me. I picked it up and walked back to the scene of the crime and the road looked bone dry. I pulled off my gloves and it felt dry to the touch but as I turned to walk back to the pavement I nearly went A over T! The road was really slippy and I can only assume it's due to all the recent gritting?
I did a few 'test' skids during the rest of my journey and sure enough the road was unpredictably greasy in some areas. I've never known it look so dry yet be sooooo greasy.

Tore my shorts and bent my house keys (they were trapped between my thigh and the tarmac!) but the bike appears ok apart from some scuffs to the handlebar ends.

Take it easy out there folks :thumbsup:

:ohmy:

I've been on the floor this week - bone dry roundabout. Someone suggested it's just all the crap (rubber etc) that gets left on the road when it is dry and cold.

Take it easy fella.

400bhp

Guru

I don't think he needs a wheelchair-his bump wasn't that bad. :whistle:

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I joined very very slow (less than walking pace) moving traffic from a bit of dropped kerb, the traffic behind had left a HUGE gap for me to get in, once I was in primary the traffic sped up and someone raced passed up fast behind me then cut in nearly smooshing me against some temporary traffic lights. It's the first time ever on a bike that my stomach really lurched.

The fast car came up behind and missing my handlebars by centremetres before nearly forcing me off the road. I really don't see how I could have done anything differently, I was matching traffic speed :sad:

Twilkes

Guru
I have the joys of driving home to the Glasgow flat this evening, and rather than taking the motorway I'm going to follow my cycle route as much as I can. I can ride it in just under an hour, reckon the car would add 10 minutes onto that, with all the traffic and not being able to cut across Glasgow Green. May be pleasantly surprised though.

Hoping to pass some bikes on the way home, so I can mow the f3ckers down get an idea of how people overtake me when I'm riding.

Ended up on the deck after being left hooked:eek:
:eek: Sounds like a close one.
"you should really wear a helmet to stop this sort of thing"?!?!?! WTF does that mean?
Simples, if you'd been wearing a helmet you could have took it off and smacked his mirror with it when you were passing to make the dovy daffodil use it :thumbsup:

Maz

Guru
On the way back home I was riding hands-free. Then an oncoming car beeped at me.

Don't know if he beeped because:
a) what I was doing was dangerous
b) he was jealous of my skill
c) he wanted to scare me to make me fall off.

Maz

Guru
I joined very very slow (less than walking pace) moving traffic from a bit of dropped kerb, the traffic behind had left a HUGE gap for me to get in, once I was in primary the traffic sped up and someone raced passed up fast behind me then cut in nearly smooshing me against some temporary traffic lights. It's the first time ever on a bike that my stomach really lurched.

The fast car came up behind and missing my handlebars by centremetres before nearly forcing me off the road. I really don't see how I could have done anything differently, I was matching traffic speed :sad:
Sorry to hear that. Why did the driver cut in? Wasn't the road clear in front of him?

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Not a lot compared to a lot of you, but have done 220 miles commuting this week, average 44 miles a day, pretty pleased with myself.

I now know how to tell if you are riding into a head wind, it is when on your evening commute, you use a lower gear to go down the hill, than the one you used to go up it in the morning.

Top Bottom