Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
It appears that motorists don't appreciate my Road Tax jersey or at least I had far more close passes today then any other day for a few months.

I saw my first 'bent out in the wild. Obviously I've seen them before but this was the first time it belonged to someone I didn't know. Strange design too, very long wheelbase with what looked like a normal headtube over the front wheel, steered from underseat but the front wheel was a long way from the rider.

More and more helmet wearers that don't know how to wear a helmet were out today. I blame the good weather. When people buy a helmet there should be some kind of guide that says "This helmet is to cover your head, not to stop you getting a sunburnt neck"

Had another wheelsucker today too. I made a bit of a schoolboy error filtering through traffic and cut from the centre of the road to the left and ended up blocked by a van. Wheelsucker followed me d'oh! :banghead:

BSRU

A Human Being
I tried a new route this morning, one I had found whilst perusing Strava segments.
Unfortunately, after about 2km I was confronted by a large sign stating "Private Road No Public Right of Way", so turned around in a huff and carried on the usual route.
Can only assume the Strava riders just ignored the the very large sign, naughty, naughty.

akb

Veteran
My ride this morning:
Left at 0800hrs, got about half a mile down the road and had a visit by that cow the P******* fairy. Walked home, chucked bike in the garage in a humph and drove to work. And then it started to rain. Am gutted; love cycling in the rain. There is always tomorrow....

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Sort of. It was more jealousy as as a youth/child/brat, wheelie'ing was the one thing I could not do. I spent more time cracking my head open than have the front wheel off the road. See, even as a child, my thighs were just toooo darn powerful, I would flip right over!

I was going to say it was because you cant wheelie ...lol

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Saw a cyclist blast through the pedestrian crossing a victoria station when the lights where red.
I caught up with him at Grosvenor place and asked him if he would like to go through this set of red lights as well into crossing traffic which is travelling at 30mph. He declined.

400bhp

Guru
I shouted at a cyclist who sailed through on red through a very dangerous junction. Firstly said, "they are on red" followed by "idiot". Think he said eff off. Utter d1ck.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My ride this morning:
Left at 0800hrs, got about half a mile down the road and had a visit by that cow the P******* fairy. Walked home, chucked bike in the garage in a humph and drove to work. And then it started to rain. Am gutted; love cycling in the rain. There is always tomorrow....

Hang on. You stop and fix it, then carry on. :rolleyes:

Pauluk

What a great commute today. 3 miles in and a rear wheel puncture. OK repaired using new tube in about 10 minutes. It was a slowish loud hiss so was able to find the glass in the tyre straight away. New Bontrager pump was brill.

Coming home was hit by the mother off all storms. Thunder, lightening, hail and rain. Roads were absolutely chaotic with 50 per cent of them flooded. At one stage I was overtaking cars as they very cautiously maneuvered the rivers that had developed in the roads.

I've never pedaled under water before ( and I mean under water, the water level was well over my bottom bracket). It was really fun. At one point I did ride on a flooded pavement as the road was completely under a foot of very fast flowing water and was choc a-block with stationary cars.

When I stripped off in the kitchen after arriving home the floor looked like the changing rooms at my local swimming pool, everything completely soaked; wallet, money, tool kit, inner tube boxes, spare clothes.

Don't need to dread summer rain ever again :smile:

Top Bottom