Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
How was your commute this morning @I like Skol? :whistle:

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
A fairly uneventful commute...

One incident on the way into work, idiot driver decided to do a three point turn on a main road right in front of me (while I was doing ~20mph), I pulled the brakes hard (discs thankfully), but of course the roads were soaked, the disc and pads were wet, so it was a bit bottom clenching, oh, and then of course the back of the bike had to come out... I was so very, very close to going into the side of his car... I was very surprised I stopped, didn't hit him and stayed on the bike... The idiot has no idea just how close he came to delaying himself for a lot, lot longer than if he had just let me pass without doing something that stupid... f*in three point turn on a main road like that, and in the wet, grrrrr...

Other than that, a lovely drizzly morning, made all that much more fun by the lovely wind blowing along the A13/CS3 :rolleyes:

:banghead:
A muppet thing to do but out of interest, if you had run into his car, doesn't it count as your fault?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Quite a troublesome commute for me on the way home this morning. Just about halfway I heard a loud whoosh and felt a sudden soggy rumble from the back end. I pulled over out of the traffic to find this....
001800x600_zps50904f8f.jpg

It must have been flicked up by the front tyre and sliced into the rear as I rode on. Just to make sure the tyre was absolutely wrecked, it continued its path of destruction and poked out through the sidewall....
002800x600_zps311f7837.jpg

Luckily I always carry a couple of spare tubes but there was no way I was going to contain a new tube in this tyre with enough pressure to work as a back tyre with rider and loaded panniers. I swapped the tyres back to front and to make sure the tube had a chance of staying put I wrapped a bit of the old tube around it where the cut was. As chance would have it, I just happened to have a bit of Stanley knife blade to hand to hack up the ruptured inner tube into a piece big enough to wrap twice around under the gash. That was lucky eh?

Anyway, the bodge worked and I completed the remaining 5 miles of my commute without further incident and still got home in time to take the kids to school :thumbsup:

Time to head off to Google to see if I can still get a matching replacement tyre.

Frood42

I know where my towel is
A muppet thing to do but out of interest, if you had run into his car, doesn't it count as your fault?

In this case, I heavily doubt it, he had pulled sideways across the main road to execute a three point turn, so he has pulled across a lane and stopped forcing me to brake heavily... and I nearly went into the side of him, not into the back of him...

It's not as if I could anticipate the car doing this manouver (no indicators) or I had seen him doing it from distance... it was all rather sudden...
I know this road well and I was in a strong position, so I have no idea why he would not have seen me coming...

He cleary did not check properly that the road was free of traffic...
He also clearly knew he was in the wrong as he was very hesitant to pass me when he did finally make his turn and catch me up...

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Time to head off to Google to see if I can still get a matching replacement tyre.
Yay! Tyres still available.

BSRU

A Human Being
This time of year shows how little are roads are policed, so many vehicles with a light not working or worse headlights misaligned to blind oncoming traffic.

Well this is definately my last week on the road bike, the wet and grit and sheer crap on the road bike from the Guided Busway is going to wear out the components, so this weekend, its going to get stripped down and cleaned up, and the Mountain Torture Bike (MTB ) is coming out for the winter.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
19 miles this morning. 14.5 into the City, long way round, 4.5 back out to my office. Either 6 or 11 tonight depending upon the weather. Back on the fixed at last. Got site visits 4 days out of five, so this will be a baptism of fire first week back to full commuting. It will either be :biggrin: or :cry:. Either way I predict lots of :sweat:.

Top Bottom