Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Hailstones really hurt ! Bit of a blockage on the Roe Green trail after the storm
A3D38485-F265-4A94-B280-3176B3E9AA0A.jpeg

Heigue'r

Veteran
22 miles of full on headwind,slowest commute ever including when I used to do it on the mountain bike...heres hoping it stays blowing the same way at the same strength,saw someone with panniers have to get off and walk up a short sharp incline..just pure wind power stopped them in their tracks..Im usually 20mins early for work,today I was 10 mins late.

Randombiker9

Update: my damage bike had finally be repaire even though Halfords Called me 2 days later. Even though that Tuesday incident had been reported to police last Thursday when received message . Tried calling that following Saturday no answer and haven’t heard since. I dunno why?. Perhaps I should wait till end off week? Would you guys just leave it or contact them through online?

(Truth is ever since that day I’m afraid to cycle past that side road anymore Incase I see the same guys)
I’ve not heard back since..

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
This morning's commute in a few short words....

Rain, sleet, sixteen miles of headwind.

Still better than driving.

That was the forecast here too, but I've had eight dry rides, two owls and a buzzard. Top week so far.

Forecast tomorrow reasonable as well so will probably get sucked up by a tornado and deposited in Kansas.

jamin100

Guru
After a long hiatus from commuting (but not cycling), i've returned to my 7 mile commute by bike.

Fed up of the faff either end of getting in and out of Lycra, i've decided to go all hipster (well as hipster as a 37 year old can be :laugh:) and get a single speed dolan with foot straps, wearing my jeans and tshirt and take it easy on the way in. 24 minutes to do 7 miles with roughly 400ft of climbing doesnt seem too bad.

The single speed got come getting used too, and to begin with any slight incline hurt, however its getting easier after each commute.

Usually leave the house at 6:20 so the roads into Birmingham are pretty quiet at that time of day

(Truth is ever since that day I’m afraid to cycle past that side road anymore Incase I see the same guys)
I’ve not heard back since..
It's a normal survival instinct, but remind yourself what chances that they are hanging out there all day every day? Pretty slim and they left you alone after you warned them of your camera, why would they try again if they fear being recorded? Don't let them win! Also, have a heavy D-lock at the ready to clobber them with if need be :ninja:

Maybe attend some self defence training if this is giving you anxiety, that will put you back in control.

Fed up of the faff either end of getting in and out of Lycra, i've decided to go all hipster (well as hipster as a 37 year old can be :laugh:) and get a single speed dolan with foot straps, wearing my jeans and tshirt and take it easy on the way in. 24 minutes to do 7 miles with roughly 400ft of climbing doesnt seem too bad.

I did the whole 'buy special gear for a 7 mile commute' thing when I first started cycling, the lycra came in handy when riding with the local club and joining friends leisure rides but for a relatively short commuter ride like, I see newbies getting drawn in by the fizzy lemon stuff and die a little inside every time I see someone in a flouro high viz helmet cover. Cycling for normal people in normal clothes is massively underrated.

%20High%20Visibility%20Waterproof%20Helmet%20Cover.jpg

:wacko:

Last edited:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Another wonderful commute this morning, a quite spectacular dawn with just the slightest smidgen of frost.

That's 9/9 dry commutes this week, against all expectations. Fingers crossed for the return tonight, then plan on building an ark for the forecast non-stop deluge over the entire weekend.

Top Bottom