Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
Update:

I was not expecting this I got invited to my volunteer lunch/chat at animal park
And when I checked my phone in between got a no caller ID and a message telling me to get back within 3 days either by (number) or 101. I’m home now and well
I was not expecting it to be that quick response I only reported it yesterday.

just dropped my bike into Halfords there going to call me to see if anything else needs to be done including the buckled wheel, they said they’ll call tomorrow as I had to book it in and to let me know and I asked them to also check everything over.

It sounds awkard but I struggle talking on the phone as well, I know I should call the officer back .

It's ok they do understand about things like this. Contact them and explain your not great on the phone or confident about things. Tell them you'd feel better going over things face to face. You are allowed to have someone with you if it's going to help you. From what you've said since the incident. it's clear with your ongoing problems your clearly vulnerable and this incident should be treated as such if anything comes of it.
Remember all the officer is trying to work out is what happened, how you feel about, how it made you feel at the time and what damage and cost's you've been left with.

You mention a limp do you have anything else in the way of injuries from this? Again just let the officer know and if it's felt the need to then they may want the FNP ( Forensic Nurse Practitioner) to document them. Again don't worry they are a nice bunch they may work for the police but they are 1st and foremost a Nurse like like another.

Reactions: C R

Randombiker9

It's ok they do understand about things like this. Contact them and explain your not great on the phone or confident about things. Tell them you'd feel better going over things face to face. You are allowed to have someone with you if it's going to help you. From what you've said since the incident. it's clear with your ongoing problems your clearly vulnerable and this incident should be treated as such if anything comes of it.
Remember all the officer is trying to work out is what happened, how you feel about, how it made you feel at the time and what damage and cost's you've been left with.

You mention a limp do you have anything else in the way of injuries from this? Again just let the officer know and if it's felt the need to then they may want the FNP ( Forensic Nurse Practitioner) to document them. Again don't worry they are a nice bunch they may work for the police but they are 1st and foremost a Nurse like like another.
Talking about calling
Halfords just called me saying they found more damage that needs repairing since more issues. They said to go in and fill in some paperwork and so I know how much it’ll cost im going back in a few mins

vickster

Legendary Member
@vickster Boy it’s going to cost £180 the damage
Because
Buckles wheel, gears are stuck, cassette and chain needs replacing hub makes a popping noise
Cable damaged bent cranks etc...
:cursing:
Perhaps get another quote. Can you do any of it yourself? Is there a local bike coop / workshop where you can go along and do stuff yourself with supervision?
Here you go in Reading for example, session this Saturday :smile:
http://www.readingbicyclekitchen.org/

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Well yesterday and today’s commutes were basically awesome with perfect weather !
Certainly felt like spring had arrived and I even managed to ride home without having to put my lights on or wear gloves this evening.
21C17569-B9D3-471E-8AAE-4CE9FC9BAC00.jpeg

Attachments

• 74788A6B-9523-454F-B876-8A832A1891D7.jpeg
    74788A6B-9523-454F-B876-8A832A1891D7.jpeg
    63.3 KB · Views: 2

Randombiker9

Perhaps get another quote. Can you do any of it yourself? Is there a local bike coop / workshop where you can go along and do stuff yourself with supervision?
Here you go in Reading for example, session this Saturday :smile:
http://www.readingbicyclekitchen.org/
Not really, due to my low muscle tone. I struggle using tools and fiddly stuff and that’s why I always wear gloves with cycling even in the summer because low muscle tone makes my wrists and ankles ache etc... To put this In perspective even at my animal park I find it hard to just do up the padlocks or use a rake and can’t climb over a fence one handed when feeding unless it’s a low fence etc etc... but I can deal with that

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm loving these winter day commutes. Some of the years best cycling imo. Nice and chilly, no wind, lovely sunshine, dry roads. Honestly, if you are one of those peeps that put your 'nice' bike away for the winter then you really are missing out.

Now.. last nights commute. I had an apple thrown at me from a white van man. In a very dangerous place too as I was tacking downhill on the A21 at about 27-28mph. Heard a van rev up and overtake followed by an apple or something similar whizzing past my face. It just slightly scraped my chin. So was lucky as it could have been a lot worse. I tried to catch up with the van to see the company name but it waas too dark and he got away at the next RAB. Fekking cockwomble.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I'm loving these winter day commutes. Some of the years best cycling imo. Nice and chilly, no wind, lovely sunshine, dry roads. Honestly, if you are one of those peeps that put your 'nice' bike away for the winter then you really are missing out.

Now.. last nights commute. I had an apple thrown at me from a white van man. In a very dangerous place too as I was tacking downhill on the A21 at about 27-28mph. Heard a van rev up and overtake followed by an apple or something similar whizzing past my face. It just slightly scraped my chin. So was lucky as it could have been a lot worse. I tried to catch up with the van to see the company name but it waas too dark and he got away at the next RAB. Fekking cockwomble.
Not like the Cockwomble but agree the recent weather has made commuting enjoyable

Last Friday I met a similarly chunky middle aged guy as to myself on the way home and we battered each other for 9 miles in a friendly combatant way. We chatted at the lights between trying to exhaust the other. I ran in to him last night and when it was my turn to pull on the front I heard a very large bang from behind. I thought he had a catastrophic gear failure. As it was, a object unknown had flicked up, jammed itself between tyre,top of the fork and mudguard and snapped his mudguard in half. He stopped to take the rest of it off and told me to leave him to it. I was then caught by @Heigue'r and we sped along together till we parted ways.
This morning the bad frost on cycleways had people tip toeing gingerly on their skinny tyres, my tyres however were allowing me to ride with confidence.

Heigue'r

Veteran
Last Friday I met a similarly chunky middle aged guy as to myself on the way home and we battered each other for 9 miles in a friendly combatant way. We chatted at the lights between trying to exhaust the other. I ran in to him last night and when it was my turn to pull on the front I heard a very large bang from behind. I thought he had a catastrophic gear failure. As it was, a object unknown had flicked up, jammed itself between tyre,top of the fork and mudguard and snapped his mudguard in half. He stopped to take the rest of it off and told me to leave him to it. I was then caught by @Heigue'r and we sped along together till we parted ways.
This morning the bad frost on cycleways had people tip toeing gingerly on their skinny tyres, my tyres however were allowing me to ride with confidence.
Did not fancy it this morning,roadway was icy,sliding around putting the bins out so decided to take the train today...how was it?

C R

Guru
update:
I got stressed out to much especially due Tuesday. The only days I seem to be happy is during my animal park volunteering and work sometimes. However I woke up with a hypo (due to low blood sugar I I sorted it and that’s back to normal and now ive got a headache and feel slightly going to throw up. I haven’t yet but last time I had a similar thing happen and I did in the afternoon. Thing is I still want to go to my volunteering but don’t want to end up throwing up especially because there’s animals around etc.. I don’t know why I feel this way.
Are you often hypo? I feel somewhat paranoid when I am hypo, but the feeling goes once my levels are back to normal, getting your levels under control might help with how you feel.

@Heigue'r Fine on the roads , on the cycleways a bit frosty in parts,and quite a few people taking it very easy. Suprisingly the "rat run" around the A406 roundabout was dry and frost free.
The slippiest bit was the Canning town flyover cycleway, saw a MTB'r go for a bit of a sprint up it and they ended up sideways, but saved it. Another one panicked going down the other side skidded and decided to join me on the road.
Overall nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be when I got up and scrapped the ice of the car in Basildon.

Mike_P

Guru
Managed to find the one road that was icy this morning by suddenly discovering I was lying on my side on the ground still sort of sat on the bike. Slippy wheeling the bike up the road until it seemed safe to remount, and apart from a bent brake gear lever hood which hopefully just needs realigning it seemed okay. Kept on asking pedestrians on the cycle paths if it was slippy and they all looked a bit baffled when I explained what had happened. Then changed gear and thought the chain had come off the chain wheel but it turned out the rear derailleur hanger had snapped:sad: Walkies the rest of way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom