Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randombiker9

Bloody hell. that's pretty bad. Makes me think how having a camera is a real deterrent too...looks like they would have had your bike if you hadn't mentioned they were on camera. Hope the footage leads to a prosecution. lowlife scumbags!. Hope you get over the shock soon.
lol I did yesterday afternoon as I volunteer with animals
i know, Depends if they can get to tracked. But I did get there number plate of the car they went off so it shouldn’t be too hard to track them.
I did report it, at first they said they’ll get back in 24 hours and then they said an officer will get back when he’s next on duty.

Thanks I only work on Tuesdays for now and hopefully they don’t come into my work or volunteering which doesn’t open till Monday anyway but still if they do I should probably warn the manger because if they end up doing things there it could harm the kids and animals.
Although I’m sure I’ve seen them in my work before (as far as I know I don’t think my workplace has had any problems with them.
j hoping they don’t come into my workplaces and start.
anyway im not doing much today just got invited to a volunteer lunch at the animal park I volunteer at and then I’m going to get my bike checked by Halfords in afternoon.

I’m still annoyed with Tuesday but hopefully it will get dealt with it.

With that incident I actually struggle on what to do afterwards. It took me a while even to talk about it when a person walking past asked if I was ok: by that time had been 30 mins or 1 hour I don’t even know the exact time. It was probably 8 something or 8.30 (As I didn’t finish work till 7) because by the time the police got called after the PCSO’s arrived it was 9.40pm

ps j don’t know why my camera keeps changing its date and time just wondering because like i change it one day and it’s fine that day and then the next day it changes again

vickster

Legendary Member
Hope they find the idiots. Keep the receipt for the repairs to the bike as you may be able to claim back if they are prosecuted and convicted.

Reactions: C R
@Randombiker9 Sorry to hear about that nasty encounter. It's important to talk about this stuff, so don't pretend everything is ok when it isn't. Let people know how you feel. If it's any consolation, idiots like this will get what's coming to them eventually. You reacted in the right way. People who don't care about others, don't care about themselves and will do stupid things, which could leave you seriously injured or worse, and themselves banged up in prison which sadly not much of a deterrent to some. Always better to de-escalate any conflict unless you really know that you could overpower them yourself. Certainly not worth getting stabbed over a bike, but I hope that the damage isn't too significant.

Would rather be up here than down there! You can taste the fumes as you pass over. Thankfully, there's a good 8 miles of quiet road and NCN path to enjoy on my commute, so a mere blip on the radar for my commute.

ESLsyoG.jpg

Randombiker9

@Randombiker9 Sorry to hear about that nasty encounter. It's important to talk about this stuff, so don't pretend everything is ok when it isn't. Let people know how you feel. If it's any consolation, idiots like this will get what's coming to them eventually. You reacted in the right way. People who don't care about others, don't care about themselves and will do stupid things, which could leave you seriously injured or worse, and themselves banged up in prison which sadly not much of a deterrent to some. Always better to de-escalate any conflict unless you really know that you could overpower them yourself. Certainly not worth getting stabbed over a bike, but I hope that the damage isn't too significant.
Yeah exactly and thanks, I just mean at the time of incidents I just eventually struggle and freeze to the point I can hardly speak it takes me a while to get back into my ussual self which is ussually when they’ve gone etc... Which is about a similar
Time to when someone asks if I’m ok, I just nod to say no as I can still barely talk by that time and the police get called. If it happens I should try to stop before I end up ^ and call them as soon as it happens.

if there’s a lot of damage luckily I also have MTB I can use. Which is like a spare bike I keep.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I have come to the conclusion that all Smart car drivers are complete and utter bellends. I see a white hairdrier car every now and then that likes to intimidate cyclists. This morning it was a black hairdrier that decided to pass me far too close. I caught up with him at the lights. I asked him to roll down his window. Luckily he had a little girl in the passenger seat so I reigned in any naughty words that would have came from my lips. I asked him why the close pass. He said he gave me plenty of room. I said, You have a little child, and so do I and we all want to get to work safely, so give cyclists more room. He just looked at me blankly and said he didn't pass me too close. As I said, a bellend.

Apart from that, a lovely chilly, blue sky, sunny commute this morning. perfect cycling conditions in fact.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Yesterday, On way back from work I stopped briefly as I had been stressed out recently from home and work etc.. anyway didn’t help that some young me decided to damage my bike and threatend to steal it. They didn’t steal it but now there’s damage to the seat, gears and wheels are slightly buckled. Front more than rear and possibly breaks (as the breaks are making a weird notice) They drove off as soon as I said you know your on camera (my audio doesn’t work) later on a bystanderasked if I was ok ended up calling the police and two PCSO’s came I explained and they said there colleagues were going to have a look on the shops CCTV. I do have it on camera but my battery went low so couldn’t show at time. (And the time and date but I know the date and time on my camera always is wrong for some reason.
Anyway how do you send helmet camera footage to the police because obviously I should send it. Is it possible through online

Where I live the Avon & Somerset upload thing is for incidents on the road. If you report a crime in the usual way the officer in the case can give you a separate link to upload evidence footage. I hope you have been able to report this thug and that he gets caught & dealt with. Glad you were uninjured although it must have been very distressing.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Lovely cycle this morning in a frosty dawn but with generally ice free roads.

But what peanuts motorists can be! Close to the start of my journey is a traffic light controlled crossroads where I go straight on. Lights go green, half a dozen motorists simply turn right across my path, I have to stop in the middle of the junction waving my arms and cursing loudly; they keep on coming, all of them. self-gratification artists.

Happily the rest of the journey was so fabulous I forgot all about it.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I have come to the conclusion that all Smart car drivers are complete and utter bellends. I see a white hairdrier car every now and then that likes to intimidate cyclists. This morning it was a black hairdrier that decided to pass me far too close. I caught up with him at the lights. I asked him to roll down his window. Luckily he had a little girl in the passenger seat so I reigned in any naughty words that would have came from my lips. I asked him why the close pass. He said he gave me plenty of room. I said, You have a little child, and so do I and we all want to get to work safely, so give cyclists more room. He just looked at me blankly and said he didn't pass me too close. As I said, a bellend.

Apart from that, a lovely chilly, blue sky, sunny commute this morning. perfect cycling conditions in fact.

I think you may have a point. I had two close passes from a Smart Car driver.

When I caught up with him & said he'd passed me too close twice, and could he please leave more room in future, he raised an eyebrow & replied "Have you not considered that it may have been YOU who was too close to ME?" ...

"seeking to prosecute" was what the Police told me when they got the footage.

On the other hand the Thornbury cobbler passes me most days in his Smart Car, I get a wave from him, he's always considerate and has stopped in the past to check I'm alright when I had a minor mechanical issue at the roadside. If they were all like him the world would be wonderful !

Randombiker9

Where I live the Avon & Somerset upload thing is for incidents on the road. If you report a crime in the usual way the officer in the case can give you a separate link to upload evidence footage. I hope you have been able to report this thug and that he gets caught & dealt with. Glad you were uninjured although it must have been very distressing.
It’s TVP where I live
Thanks and I’ve already reported it.

to be honest when I’m at volunteering the animals make me calm down but sometimes it still gets to me in the afternoon

but for now I’m not near that area till Tuesday hopefully and I’m going to cycle a different route as I don’t want to cycle past that area.

vickster

Legendary Member
It’s TVP where I live
Thanks and I’ve already reported it.

to be honest when I’m at volunteering the animals make me calm down but sometimes it still gets to me in the afternoon

but for now I’m not near that area till Tuesday hopefully and I’m going to cycle a different route as I don’t want to cycle past that area.
Have you managed to discuss your anxiety with the GP yet?

Randombiker9

Just wanted to update previously
Apparently I keep limping and I can defiently tell now. . but it’s not thw one that ussuall get pain in but the other one. Weird things is nothing physical happend that day. So unless when they tried kicking my bike it landed of my foot but I didn’t feel it due to my muscles tensing up etc. (i was using my bike as a block in case they were going to aim at me.

Have you managed to discuss your anxiety with the GP yet?
I forgot to mention I already talking to a phycologist very 2 or 3 weeks my next appointment isnt till next Monday.

Ask for a referral to CBT if you find yourself getting overly anxious.
^

Randombiker9

Hope they find the idiots. Keep the receipt for the repairs to the bike as you may be able to claim back if they are prosecuted and convicted.
Update:

I was not expecting this I got invited to my volunteer lunch/chat at animal park
And when I checked my phone in between got a no caller ID and a message telling me to get back within 3 days either by (number) or 101. I’m home now and well
I was not expecting it to be that quick response I only reported it yesterday.

just dropped my bike into Halfords there going to call me to see if anything else needs to be done including the buckled wheel, they said they’ll call tomorrow as I had to book it in and to let me know and I asked them to also check everything over.

It sounds awkard but I struggle talking on the phone as well, I know I should call the officer back .

C R

Guru
Update:

I was not expecting this I got invited to my volunteer lunch/chat at animal park
And when I checked my phone in between got a no caller ID and a message telling me to get back within 3 days either by (number) or 101. I’m home now and well
I was not expecting it to be that quick response I only reported it yesterday.

just dropped my bike into Halfords there going to call me to see if anything else needs to be done including the buckled wheel, they said they’ll call tomorrow as I had to book it in and to let me know and I asked them to also check everything over.

It sounds awkard but I struggle talking on the phone as well, I know I should call the officer back .
If you struggle talking on the phone, then it is probably a good idea if you try to arrange for a meeting in person at the police station.

Top Bottom