Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
My commute home is both long and hilly, and the hills get longer and steeper the closer I get to home. Today, it was very hard work, because it was 42 degrees when I left work, and still 38 when I got home. Now, at almost 9pm, it's still 32.
:heat:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Couldn't actually make out much of it, but the gist seemed to be that I just shouldn't be on "their" road on a bike. Took great delight giving it the slow headshake as I passed them seconds later as they were queued in traffic.

Should have given them a little wave too.. that would have probably given them an apoplectic rage heart attack

Lots of fallen twigs and branches on paths today, still safer to navigate in the dark than sharing space with crazed motorists. I've managed to reduce the road mileage of my 10 mile commute by taking a slightly longer 13 mile trip, which means I'm changing from 8 to about 4 miles on the roads, and 2 of those are very quiet at the time I'm riding it. Loving commuting by bike again. We really need to get a move on changing our infrastructure.

Yesterday on the way home I passed a peloton of 3 and a peleton of 5 labourer types on MTB’s through Barking which I thought really unusual, a couple of them in the group of 5 were on E bikes. Both sets were fairly young going at a good rate for guys in work boots and donkey jackets. I ran into the group of 3 again through Dagenham this morning. Again going at a fair rate but boy were they hugging the gutter, they were using the black between the double yellow lines.

Very strange, quite often see little 3 man peletons on road bikes out that way but not MTB’s in work gear.

Again felt quite balmy and sweated in just 2 layers

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
So what is the maximum temperature range covered by CC commuters?

We have @Shut Up Legs offering a highest of 43, any "improvement" on that?

@hennbell, I guess we turn to you for the lowest.
:laugh: Hey, I know there's nothing particularly nice about things like black ice, but I could really use a big bucket of snow to stick my head in. I'm at home, in a house where the airconditioning and insulation are both inadequate, and it's still in the mid 30s inside, and it's almost 8:30pm.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
This driver apologised for the close pass when I caught up at the lights & politely asked for more room in future.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
What a morning🙄
Basically, my first incident of any kind cycling in Denmark for 15 years. This is the report I have sent to the police and also to the local papers, in case it is one of their employees. I am not expecting any action but wanted it recording because I am sure to run into this guy again.

My police report:

I wish to report the following incident which occurred at 6am on Monday 3rd February 2020 on Genner Bygade, Genner.

At the above time and date I was cycling from the direction of Sønderballevej into Genner. As I approached the junction of the 170, Hoptrup to Aabenraa road, I could see headlights of a car parked on my side of the road just past Kirkevænget. The car then reversed into a driveway but the lights were still on. I positioned my bicycle to the centre of the road in case the car came out of the driveway. A couple of metres before I got to the driveway the car came out at speed, intending to turn right in the direction I was travelling. The car crossed completely over to the opposite side of the road. This caused me to swerve almost onto the opposite grass verge to get round the car. I literally had millimetres to spare. Had I not taken my original position, the car would have collided with me.

As I swerved passed the car I could see the interior light was on and the car was being driven by a middle eastern man with a beard and dark beanie hat. I was now in front of the car and I waved to let him know I was there and he had just missed me. This was not a giving him the finger gesture as I had full riding mitts on and so he could not see my hands. What happened next was terrifying. The man had wound down his window and was screaming at the top of his voice, he appeared to be very angry. I have a rear view mirror on my bike and could see that he was right on my back tyre, he was flashing the lights, sounding the horn and screaming at me. The road surface was wet and had I slipped or slowed down, I am sure this man would have run his car right over me.

He followed me like this past the school until we reached Nørreskovvej where he turned off. I am quite sure that he was delivering newspapers. I am a very experienced ultra distance rider and have ridden all over the world. But in 50 years of riding I have never had an incident as terrifying as this. This man is a danger to anyone on the road. It was only my experience of cycling that stopped him driving into me as he came out of the drive way.

There is no doubt he would have seen me if he had looked before leaving the driveway. I have a very bright Exposure main light and a helmet light. I wear a glow in the dark rain jacket and a viz vest with extra reflective material and reflective ankle cuffs. On the rear of the bike I have four red lights and more reflective material. I cannot make myself any more visible in the dark. This man just did not look and then took offense that he could have killed me.

I have ridden this road from Sønder Vilstrup to Aabenraa almost every day for the past 15 year, to and from work. It has been a joy to ride it. But this incident has really frightened me and I am not sure I will continue to commute by bicycle..

I am an ex police officer from England and am aware that without a car number, make or colour, I cannot expect much action to be taken on your part. But I wanted a note of it made some where in case other instances occur in Genner. I am quite certain that he will be delivering newspapers in Genner though.

I would be obliged if someone could reply to this e mail with an incident number to which I can refer if this incident goes further. If I end up laying in the road on Genner Bygade, it will give the police somewhere to start.

So what is the maximum temperature range covered by CC commuters?

We have @Shut Up Legs offering a highest of 43, any "improvement" on that?

@hennbell, I guess we turn to you for the lowest.

The cold end of the spectrum is dictated by the bicycle not really the cyclist.
The coldest have ridden is -30 C. If you take the grease out of the freehub and use a light oil you can go lower.
If you add wind chill I have gone colder, but wind chill is very hard to accurately account for.

C R

Guru
The cold end of the spectrum is dictated by the bicycle not really the cyclist.
The coldest have ridden is -30 C. If you take the grease out of the freehub and use a light oil you can go lower.
If you add wind chill I have gone colder, but wind chill is very hard to accurately account for.
So we have a range of 73 C, from @hennbell's -30 to @Shut Up Legs 43. I think my coldest commute ever was around -3C, and my warmest around 28C.

I was going to give the cycling at below 130BPm a go this morning to see if it made me less tired in the evening, but the horrendous headwind meant I had to put a effort in to keep moving. It was bloody slow though.

It was defo a e-bikers paradise as I was overtaken by 3 in the 1st mile.

Going down the infamous Gale street in Dagenham 2 guys I know have been pushed off their bikes there by people in cars and is parallel to the road where I was pushed off. I became aware of a motor scooter behind me in the cycle lane, who then moved up beside my and matched my speed. My danger sensors went off and I hit the brakes and came to nearly a stop , the motor scooter slowed, looked at me then sped off. I figure he was up to no good so probably saved myself a push into the kerb.

By Canning Town I was well peed off and looking for a respite, a nice wheel to follow. My prayers were answered by 2 guysgoing at a rate, both on skinny tyred road bikes , the obviously most powerful guy was in full Castelli gear, all black bike ( no stickers etc) and deep section wheels. The second guy was on a halfords Carrera but was quite canny and no way was he letting go of this guys wheel, but he wasn’t getting on the front, I sprinted onto their rear wheels and got myself a nice tow for the next 2 miles. Mr Castelli put in a stirling effort and got me into the top 11 ( out of 704) of the over 55’s down Cable street mile!, ( fairly empty of cyclists due to the wind) avg 19.5 mph into a howling headwind.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The lowest temp I can ever remember commuting in SE London was minus 8°.

Anyhoo.... A lovely sunshiney blue sky morning. Perfect for a cycle commute. Traffic was a mare though. Backed up all over the place. Sometimes I do feel for car drivers sometimes, only sometimes. Having to sit in traffic at a crawl day after day. That would do my nut in. 'Twas windy though, niggly headwind all the way in. Which was great, as means I have a lovely push for the climb home.

@HarryTheDog Good call on pulling the brakes. Pretty sure you would have either got a shove or lost your bike, or both. Who knows, but you did the right thing.
A good few years ago, a poor chap was severely injured suffering a broken back in Orpington after being pushed off his bike by a moton.

Last edited:
Top Bottom