Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Been a little while since I had a wet commute. Had a 10 minute heavy downpour this morning. No need for wet weather gear as it wasn't cold and was near enough dry by the time I got to work.

So that's the 15th rainy commute for 2022
Same period last year. 14 rainy commutes

Last edited:
We were lucky just up the road in Hertfordshire. It was a little damp in the morning (mainly from the road surface) and in the evening everything was bone dry :smile:

The first 5k of the commute on Mondays is flat and on a paved "Feldweg" closed to traffic but paved. It also runs alongside the main road which my colleague drives along, so of course I try to be as far along as possible before she overtakes me in her car.

Today the tailwind was so strong I was in the big ring the whole way, but I didn't see her car so I assumed I'd missed it or she'd passed me as I went behind a building.

Then she passed the end of a street in the next town as I was approaching the junction. The way through this town for cars is a bit longer than for bikes so I pushed it a bit and caught up with her in the main road.

I bet she didn't notice.

The second half of the ride turns towards the south so the tailwind becane a vicious cross wind that dropped twigs in me and tried to blow the bike sideways, which isn't fun when riding along a 5m high embankment; I was glad to get back out of the wind...

She didn't notice...

Reactions: C R
17° so stopped to take jacket off and snapped a quick pic. GF text to say she was leaving work late so 4 miles became 10. Bike is in urgent need of service, lots of squeaks, creaks amd crunches. Tomorrow will be its last commute for a while while it gets stripped down for the new groupset, headset and full service.

View attachment 646012

A new groupset would be nice. I've been trying for 2 years to get a mechanical groupset to update my Trek Emonda, no luck at all unless I put on mixed lower quality bits, nothing even close to 105's. Local bike store still thinks we have a year until things go back to normal.

Reactions: C R

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
@hennbell I've managed to get a full SRAM NX 1 x 12 grouspet from wiggle. Its probably not as sought after as others to be fair and the 3 x 9 Alivio/Altus on mine now is knackered so anything is an upgrade and more than acceptable on a commuter/utility bike.
My mates been upgrading some bikes with SRAMS etap groupsets and has had to buy parts from all over so understand the annoyance.
I know Merlin have some Ultegra disc grouspets in stock as I'm debating upgrading my Cube from 105, think they have some 105 sets in too.

Last edited:
@hennbell I've managed to get a full SRAM NX 1 x 12 grouspet from wiggle. Its probably not as sought after as others to be fair and the 3 x 9 Alivio/Altus on mine now is knackered so anything is an upgrade and more than acceptable on a commuter/utility bike.
My mates been upgrading some bikes with SRAMS etap groupsets and has had to buy parts from all over so understand the annoyance.
I know Merlin have some Ultegra disc grouspets in stock as I'm debating upgrading my Cube from 105, think they have some 105 sets in too.

My frame is rim brake only, this is also part of the problem. Its my nice bike so I want a mostly matching groupset.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
@hennbell Apologies, I assumed disc my bad for being such a convert and assuming this is what everyone needs :blush:.
Bad times for bike parts isn't it, hopefully there'll be some stock soon, even ebay is short on stuff at the moment

Merlin have the R7000 rim brake groupset in stock now, discounted.
Shipping to Canada won't be cheap...

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
3 commutes to the city centre this week, mostly uneventful however I have been getting quite a few close passes, so yesterday got my camera back in action. Behaviour was much better today, maybe coincidence.

Yesterday had a very pleasant short commute from Waterbeach to Cambridge; mostly off road and cycle paths so only had to deal with cows, swans,runners and rowing coaches^_^

IMG_2691.jpeg

IMG_2692.jpeg

IMG_2693.jpeg

IMG_2694.jpeg

And three more from previous commutes;

IMG_2575.jpeg

IMG_2586.jpeg

36A5A29E-9809-429C-9137-A2C746574C46.jpg

Last edited:
Cycle commute in and out was fine, it rained on the way to the railway station but it kept the dog walkers at home so made my journey quicker.
The real pain came on the train. A young man got on the train playing music on a bluetooth speaker.
It was absaloute filth, with swearing and lots of references to sex and ladies parts.
I thought this guy is deliberately trying to provoke someone and it was having the desired effect on me.
Then his mum rang and I realised he had the body of a 20yr old but the mind of a child.
Luckily he got off at the first stop without someone giving him a slap.

Top Bottom