Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
An almost perfect commute today, particularly at night when I looped into some Hertfordshire villages after following an off road path (my cycling colleague gave me a good tip off to a good surface after a short gravel car park that would put most folk off). Lol I managed to add 6 tiles to my veloviewer explorer score 😂

This morning after circa 6 months of commuting but only one day a week I finally had someone desperately dive through the gap to beat me to the central island as I climbed out of Stevenage. Ive been expecting it for ages but the drivers are really polite there waiting patiently as I pass two central islands climbing up a steep hill and wait till I get to the compulsory cycle lane well beyond them. I think most people can guess what type of car the impatient person had 😂

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Back on the commute last two days following dodgy knee. Despite knee still being painful, managed some PR's on the way home (no idea). This morning went from a steady pace to wacky races down the canal from Ashton to Manchester (overtook two riders, one then latched onto my wheel the whole way in), and I knocked 3 minutes of a fast time - felt a bit knackered. My banana did not survive - had completely turned to mush in my panniers - took ages to clean them up, and my waterproofs.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Had a few beers in the office last night for a colleagues 40th birthday so got a lift home and decided to cycle in. The direct route involves narrow ish 60mph minor A road (if that isnt an oxymoron) so i thought I'd take a part gravel part paved route through a private estate (Gorhambury) that is some sort of permissive byway. My end has a pedestrian cycle gate with a manual fastener (alongside the electronic vehicle gates) , the other end, which i hadn't been through before, has bloomin electronic pedestrian /cycle gate that firmly refuses to open pre 8am! oops:laugh:. Luckily a delivery van arrived and opened the vehicle gate!

Had a few beers in the office last night for a colleagues 40th birthday so got a lift home and decided to cycle in. The direct route involves narrow ish 60mph minor A road (if that isnt an oxymoron) so i thought I'd take a part gravel part paved route through a private estate (Gorhambury) that is some sort of permissive byway. My end has a pedestrian cycle gate with a manual fastener (alongside the electronic vehicle gates) , the other end, which i hadn't been through before, has bloomin electronic pedestrian /cycle gate that firmly refuses to open pre 8am! oops:laugh:. Luckily a delivery van arrived and opened the vehicle gate!

So, anyone cycling through early in the morning is suspect, but drivers are okay?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
So, anyone cycling through early in the morning is suspect, but drivers are okay?

No there are several houses in the estate grounds and a key code / "blipper" electric security gate, so anyone needing legit access can get though, but general public cannot drive through at anytime. The gate at the busy end has a manned security lodge during the day. I guess they restrict cyclists and pedestrians to 8am -6pm for resident privacy / peace and quiet reasons.

There is one other entry exit point I haven't fully checked out, the path I cycled down ended at a house with similar gates and no right of way (I was investigating whether it went thru to the pub next to the house) but consulting OS maps, a foot / bridal path peels off just before that thru to a road. It looked a bit rough but could be rideable / push-able as it was only about 200m to the road.

that would also open up the opportunity for an illicit evening pub ride, although may attract attention cycling back past residents well after the 6pm curfew:laugh:

Last edited:
No there are several houses in the estate grounds and a key code / "blipper" electric security gate, so anyone needing legit access can get though. I guess they restrict cyclists and pedestrians to 8am -6pm for resident privacy / peace and quiet reasons.

there is one other entry exit point I haven't fully checked out, the path I cycled down ended at a house with similar gates and no right of way (I was investigating whether it went thru to the pub next to the house) but consulting OS maps, a foot / bridal path peels off just before that thru to a road. It looked a bit rough but could be rideable / push-able as it was only about 200m to the road.

Very nice if you can do it. Could we have the same on Autobahns in cities, do you think?

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Cycle in this morning was rough, tired legs and brain meant a steady and slightly painful ride (calves burning).
Ride home was beaut, felt good, slight tailwind with 28° weather and was waved at by some workmates in a pub on the way so obviously had to stop for 1 or 2 (:whistle:) maybe 3.....

2022_06_20_Commute_01.jpg

On the way back from work, stopped because I got a phone call...

This morning I saw an announcement by the roadside that there's a triathlon locally so roads will be closed on that day. I'd been passing stacked barriers at road junctions, so now I knew what they were for

Fretted about it being on a work day, then got to work and realised it was last week...

Top Bottom