Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonker

Guru
Not my happiest commute today. It started well, sunny with a tail wind, but followed by a four mile walk home carrying the bike.

A driver pulled out on me without looking properly. He was very quick to offer to pay for the damage so I’m off to the bike shop today for a quote. The wheel is obvious but I fear for the forks. My favourite bike too. Somehow I managed to remain upright so at least I’m not injured.

View attachment 650778

View attachment 650779

I hope the frame is OK. To damage that would be a sin.
My steel Pearson died when I hit a man hole cover and the rear mech managed to wrench a bit of the frame off. That was 10 years ago and I'm still in mourning.

Gwylan

Veteran
Tuesday routine - leisurely down to the station. Avoiding the school mum rush hysteria. They do not take prisoners - or keep a look out for old man on bike!
Stand in queue for ticket machine whilst another old codger who has no grasp of what is supposed to happen grows the queue.

Eventually get my ticket. The train which has been 5 mins late every Tuesday for the last month is on time. Doh!

Overweight old codger with heavy bike has to push said bicycle up the stairs. Collapses, breathless on the train for the 9 minute journey.
Now knows his recovery time is about eight minutes.

Arrive, some twerp woman insists on helping me get off the train. I was doing fine until she heaved the bike away from me. At that point she discovers how heavy the bike is and drops the bloody thing on me. Yes, I am old and not as quick or strong as I was. But I didn't get this far in life without knowing how to manoeuvre my bike off the train.

Maybe calling her a total muckwit wasn't too nice. But she deserved it. Anyway that's what I hope she heard. Not what I said.

Cycle to the exercise class in the sunshine on the outer boundaries of a cricket pitch. Puts me in an excellent mood.

Decide to cycle home in the sunshine, after the lesson. Google maps does a reasonable job of finding me a route. Better than last week's little brush with a dead end on the sea wall.

Along the estuary and into territory that I know. Branch off onto a track that flows through orchards and meadows. Idyllic

Anyway, all thoroughly excellent. Except that I now know to the Km what my battery bike will do. Got to the end of the road, the steep part, and found out how heavy the bike really is when you lose the support of the battery.

A morning well spent for and old codger.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
I hope the frame is OK. To damage that would be a sin.
My steel Pearson died when I hit a man hole cover and the rear mech managed to wrench a bit of the frame off. That was 10 years ago and I'm still in mourning.

The bad news is that the fork is twisted.
20220628_180405.jpg

The good news is that the driver has already paid me what the bike cost me when I bought it second hand, so I can now take time to consider my options. Expect a separate thread as I make up my mind.

I'm still grieving though - I love this bike.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Being steel, can that be straightened?

Probably but it’s beyond my LBS. I may sell it on to someone that fancies having a go. Anyway, no more thread drift, I will start a new one when I’m ready to consider options.

Reactions: C R
In the morning it seemed like there was almost no traffic and being as it was a lovely evening I decided to extend my commute by some twisty, 2-3m wide lanes and catch a less busy later train. I quickly found out where all the traffic was it was on these lanes and I had to dodge a fair few Chelsea Tractors cutting bends. On the narrowest of hedgelined roads and up a steep hill with nowhere to pull in I got one on my tail. Just as I got to the top and started on a steep twisty one I spotted a electric one flying round the bend at the bottom which was too close and pulled the brakes. I must've hit gravel or something as I wasn't able to stop and found my self heading towards their bumper. Fortunately it was a steep enough hill that they scrubbed enough speed and somehow although there was hard contact my wheel seemed to take it without buckling and I bounced off the side of the car and managed only to bang a bit of my knee that doesn't seem vital and the scrapes aren't deep. It must've sounded very loud in the car though as the driver to give her her due was very concerned about me. Other than mild wobbly legs though (mild shock) I think I escaped pretty lightly. I spent a little while checking everything apart from the mudguard designed to break away everything seemed good. I also took time to let the wobbly legs pass before heading the 10miles to Stevenage. Because I was a little later though Knebworth complete standstill so I decided to go round the streets at the back. Amazingly they were almost completely free of traffic. Got to the train and typically the train I thought would be quieter was busy due to others being cancelled, including the one with nice bike storage areas (usually folk are sitting in but there's more space and eventually they get off). Amazingly I managed to be near the disabled area of this train which is also slightly larger and within a few minutes a Brompton rider noticed that I had been in an off and insisted I take his seat. Over the next 50mins my knee did seize up a bit and was tender pushing off at the other end but it seemed to free up quickly. Touchwood it continues to be like that. Whatever stung me on the back of my calf and forearm is slightly more stingy annoying.

tinywheels

Über Member
I despair.
So it's OK for an uninsured clown to drive round with no repercussions, as long as they pay your damages.
Perhaps you should consider the matter in a different way.
let's say you came off badly your now in intensive care .
Unable to work for the foreseeable future, if you live that is.
Would said clown be paying your bills etc supporting your dependents?
His next victim will not thank you for turning a blind eye.
if driving without insurance its probably certain they have an illegal car,plus no licence. I say do your duty and stop making excuses.
:wacko:

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
I despair.
So it's OK for an uninsured clown to drive round with no repercussions, as long as they pay your damages.
I posted about sequencing events such that I recovered my losses. Read into that what you will.

Alex321

Veteran
Back on topic - first commute for 3 weeks, due to catching COVID and taking 13 days before getting a negative test.

Nice regular ride today, no real incidents, little wind, some light rain going through Cardiff, though it stopped in a few minutes, well before I reached the office.

Gwylan

Veteran
Was in a country lane popular with Chelsea tractors where a lot of drivers have no idea how wide their vehicle is. And certainly do not move to their left.

Anyway a SloaneRover was some distance behind me. I intended turning right into a farm drive. Stuck my arm out to indicate my intention to move across the road to turn right.
Scream of brakes and a flood of invective.
I opted for the hedge. Then, recovered, stood behind my bike in front of the personalised number plate and engaged the driver

Me : "and your problem is?"
Him: " you F* pulled across the F* road in front of me. You were in the F* middle of the F* road. I could run you over!"
Me: "well, the arm waving meant something? Did you think I was drying my nail varnish?"
Him: Take your F* bike and clear off. I' ll F* have you if I see you again"
Cannot really argue with that type of intellectual approach

Always good to see that well conducted rational debate can still be experienced.
Just not with some drivers

But there are knob cyclists about too!

Gwylan

Veteran
Well, today, right here right now. Was wending my way along a line of parked cars.
There's a transit van, sort of has to be, parked facing oncoming traffic.
Suddenly pulls out and continues on the wrong side of the road towards me.

Gives me a lot of verbal for being in his way. Usual informed and thought through reasoning with creative use of his repertoire of profanities.
Led me to wonder why we don't teach profanity as a subject, in school. That way at least these exchanges might embrace some variety and allow a creative outlet.

We could start the F*Oscars with different classes, styles and genres. There would have to the F*d'Or for the best spontaneous and unrehearsed outburst.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I've avoided the A38 southbound for the past couple of days, picking up some country lanes culminating in a steep climb out of Almondsbury village before rejoining the main road.

It's been great to make a change to the normal route whilst only adding 1.5 miles to it. I was getting bored of the same old same old.

I have options to extend it further by going further north before heading back down south again too, which I sometimes use in the school summer holidays when others in the household aren't getting up for work.

strava4094493478492564613.jpg

Top Bottom