Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well @Tom... now I find this
https://top-10-list.org/2009/11/30/ten-violent-dangerous-sports/

Lawn bowls is the most dangerous sport for fatalities followed by base jumping .
I think its more to do with the age group rather than actual danger LOL.

On the way home the tubeless puncture woes continued with the hole in the middle of the tread opening a couple of times. I tried a tubless dart plug which was effective for a little while, finished the ride with the back of the bike sprayed with latex. Going to take the tyre off and patch it from the inside.
On the way home going up Kings Head hill ( 132 ft of climb over 0.58 miles) with a 10Kg pack on my bag a lady on a electric cargo bike sailed by. She smiled and told me to keep going. Now this slightly pissed me off but as she smiled and I think she meant to be encouraging not piss taking I smiled back and wished her a good afternoon. Once over the hill I of course had to chase her down and pass her with a merry good afternoon again.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Argh, my Tortec rack has snapped just above the lug that bolts to the dropout. It's been hammered though. Will limp it home and get another on order - done, but beefed up with a Tortec expedition

20220714_075600.jpg

Last edited:

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Not today's commute but tomorrows.

What's everyone's plan with riding in tomorrow? Obviously normal go too of heading in early will work for the inward journey but the 35+ degree heat is due to stay into the late evening so I am planning a very slow ride home.

I'll take the Brompton and if I don't feel up to it an airconned train or tram could be a bailout option.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Yep, just take the commute it a little easier then usual. Making sure water bottle is filled up before each journey.

I love cycling in hot weather and will thoroughly enjoy it whilst it lasts.

I went out for an easy 20km mixed surface ride about 0730 this morning and it was quite nice, was starting to get a bit warm by the end though.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I'm off tomorrow, but back in on Tuesday morning. I may leave for work half an hour earlier in the hope that it will be a bit cooler and stop off at the local supermarket and buy a couple of dozen icre creams/lollies for the office.
Leaving work at 3pm at the height of the heat will be 'interesting' - let's hope that the predicted sea breeze will take a bit of the edge off the heat.

Last edited:
The other half has banned me from riding tomorrow, she may have a point, on my way home it might just be a little fool hardy with the heat at my age with high blood pressure and the hills around Buckhurst Hill.

I'll be riding between job locations this afternoon at about 14:00 local time, when it'll be approx 32°c. There will be a slight breeze though.

Rather more pertinent is the discovery that the cable to the rear mech on the commuter is damaged, so it's a choice of nursing the commuter to one shop and back, or taking the rather heavier Xtracycle. Either way I'll stop off at my apartment on the way back so I can swap to the commuter and take it to the bike workshop for a cable change.

Top Bottom