Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
That was warm. Soaked my cap in the sink before I left work and it was bone dry 15 minutes in. The air was hot and thick and smelled like the dust in the bottom of the dry cat food bag.

The road surface was intact, I was half expecting it to go the way of one of my cycling dreams where I'm riding along but can hardly make progress and the road is becoming like molasses and sucking at the wheels and then I no longer have a bike and I'm trying to crawl along by grabbing handfuls of gloopy road.

But it wasn't like that, although it was harder than usual to make progress.

Ms P kept the windows and curtains shut all day so only 26C in the main room.

. Cycling Cap has been immersed in cold water.

I've been doing that too; there's a fountain just around the corner from work which regularly serves as my cap dunking facility.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
That was warm. Soaked my cap in the sink before I left work and it was bone dry 15 minutes in. The air was hot and thick and smelled like the dust in the bottom of the dry cat food bag.

The road surface was intact, I was half expecting it to go the way of one of my cycling dreams where I'm riding along but can hardly make progress and the road is becoming like molasses and sucking at the wheels and then I no longer have a bike and I'm trying to crawl along by grabbing handfuls of gloopy road.

But it wasn't like that, although it was harder than usual to make progress.

Ms P kept the windows and curtains shut all day so only 26C in the main room.

A bit like this 😱

View: https://youtu.be/_d9SfK6fyck

Not going to lie, that was a horrible ride. I stopped every 2km for a drink of water. Used as much shade as it could and walked up the steep hill ( In the shade ) and I still feel worse than I did after my first 100km just a week ago.

Working from home tomorrow hoping I can keep my office cool enough in the morning and then I can move into the house once my meeting are over.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Lovely on the way in this morning at 0700hrs, so much so that the usual 8 mile commute extended to 12. After a day in an air conditioned office it was like a wall of heat at 1630, and a headwind all the way home that felt like a hairdryer in my face:laugh: Note to self, fill bottle from chilled tap immediately before leaving tomorrow, warm water is not nice. Garmin said 36.9C.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Took it steady this morning, but still knocked up a quick time ?

Looks like public transport is playing up - only a few in the office - and this is in Manchester. I know some trains were cancelled and the Bury metrolink is brokened.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Not going to lie, that was a horrible ride. I stopped every 2km for a drink of water. Used as much shade as it could and walked up the steep hill ( In the shade ) and I still feel worse than I did after my first 100km just a week ago.

There's a threshold of temperature and humidity where things start to become difficult for me too, but I haven't quite crossed it over the last two days. A few years ago I was in Lyon in August during 'la canicule', supposed to stay a few days but I could barely function, we changed our tickets and left, went north to Lille where it was still hot but bearable.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Already in the mid-20's on the way in this morning at 0700hrs, the near I get to the airport the hotter it gets. Early away today but it felt hotter, Garmin on 38.6C on the way home.
I look forward to this breaking...

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Went out again in the afternoon using a bikeshare bike (Beryl)- had a dental appointment so had an extra dose of heat.

There was an electric bike available for the journey home- I was very pleased, unlocked it with my phone and started riding and the rear end was wobbling all over the place- felt like a broken frame or something, really bad (tyre was inflated and wheel was true enough- couldn't see any obvious issue). It was easy to get my pound refunded with the app. but I had to hire a regular bike so I was grumpy- there's this hill on the way home...

Sitting on the sofa now with my feet in a bowl of cold water- very, very nice.

Last edited:
Top Bottom