Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaijintendo

Veteran
I wiped the sweat off my upper-beard and the velcro on the glove grazed my lip. Which is annoying because when I took a parking ticket on the weekend I put it in my mouth and it somehow welded and ripped the skin of that little middle lip bit.
Otherwise wonderful first ride on a bike I get cheap on gumtree and fixed up 👍👍

Sunday 31st

Ride home from work, about 14:30

The new ‘Aubisque’ (bought as frame/forks) on the railway embankment, alongside the River Calder

23C660F8-B1FF-42C2-AE06-B0ABA34AC1A9.jpeg

I'm approximately where the 'm' of Dismantled Railway' is on the OS map;
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2451643

Nice commute in and I have got the hang of my new commute route and its hills and this morning fairly flew in by my standards, quickest one so far by 1mph avg. It was helped in the last few miles by having a bit of a competitive angle with a young guy on a MTB on the canal path who was knocking out a good 17mph avg, I had to take my turn and cranked it up a notch. Then nearly got taken out by a muntjac deer.
deer.PNG

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
No real excitement over the past 2 nights of commuting, though I did enjoy the ride home at 0700hrs far more than the ride in at 1800hrs due to the heat and humidity. Last night made it just over 1000 miles for the year, terrible even by my standards but I haven't found much riding time this year, so most of that is commuting..

rivers

How far can I go?
I'm off over Dartmoor and Exmoor at the end of next week, and today was my final chance to test my set-up out before then. So I fully loaded my bike, and set off on a 24 mile mixed off/on road commute home that took me along the Conham River Path, off-piste at Ashton Court, through some singletrack and bridleways and then onto the bridleways of Tyntesfield before rejoining the main road home. It was absolutely lush and 95% off road or on quiet roads. The 5% on the main road was absolutely shite. Close passes, dangerous overtakes and general impatience just to get to the queuing traffic half a mile down the road. Definitely a route to do again.

Attachments

• 20220801_163400.jpg
    20220801_163400.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220801_163400.jpg
    20220801_163400.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 5

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I bailed - had a poor sleep, and didn't fancy the canal, cooking in my waterproofs. Took the dinky toy to work (Aygo). Well done Skud.

Must admit I boiled in my waterproof jacket, I might as well left it off !
Don’t blame you taking it easy, nothing worse than trying to ride when you are not 100%

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Oi norvern muppet chums.
What's this rain you talk of? We need some of that down here in the boiling SE.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oi norvern muppet chums.
What's this rain you talk of? We need some of that down here in the boiling SE.

Been whizzing it down since last night, just as I finished building a shed. Happy to report the shed is waterproof - phew - built from scratch, not a kit. Got the roof on and roofing felt before I made the doors, good job. Only a 2.2m x 1.2m storage shed, nothing exciting, although it will be used for son's car junk, and free up my bike garage ! 😊

Dried up a bit now.

biking_fox

Guru
Yeah another really soggy rider here this morning too - warm so can't complain but I'm not sure if I'd have been less wet without my reflect360 jacket. They're good and waterproof in winter, but quite warm. Hope it's all dried out for a less damp afternoon.

Top Bottom