Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
I didn't even know it was cycle to work day - just 3 other bikes in the bike compound, two of which I know haven't moved for a year ! No publicity at work, although they tend to do something around May/June.

I didn't see anything either untill I saw it on twitter the day before. I think it's a marketing gimmick from one of the cycle to work schemes as much as anything else

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Second day of commuting for the Super Galaxy and it handled the rain fantastically this morning. Combo of my hotpocket jacket and the mudguards I stayed as dry as I think would have been possible.

Lovely weather this evening so did a slightly longer route home.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Not quite today's commute but it was supposedly 'Cycle to Work Day' yesterday and it attracted a few people in the office. I normally work from home and am there maybe once a month but also decided to cycle. York-Hull along the TPT.

IMG_20220804_165113_0.jpg

Parts were a bit $h!tty ;)

IMG_20220804_191756_9.jpg

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
I bumped into a fellow Fridays member on one of his ‘bents this morning and had a chat as we cycled through the bottom end of Streatham. I left him and rode ahead only to come within millimetres of being taken out by an inattentive Lambeth parking enforcement moped rider turning right across me. I’m still replaying it in my mind wondering how we managed to avoid a collision. I really don’t need that sort of excitement on my commute, or another bike damaged.

The road was not much busier than you see here.
https://goo.gl/maps/fjoveRQcTBVfu4u28

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I'm having a day off tomorrow. Today saw my first 100+ mile week this year, and my knees felt it on the way home, so tomorrow will be old Volvo commute. Plan to be back on the bike for my night shifts, traffic tends to be much worse trying to get to the airport in the evening.

biking_fox

Guru
Must have done something right* as today I had green lights all the way in, every single one (it's about a dozen) bar the very last one...

*Friday's ride home had been a bit more dramatic than usual - was involved with holding/helping a young girl on the outside of bridge that overlooks the cyclepath. It's only a 3-4m high but could have been nasty. Coppers called and sorted it safely within about half an hour, but I properly had the shakes when I got home. Adrenaline is a stupid design.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Broke a spoke on the way home yesterday, rear wheel- made a racket clattering around the frame tubes. Stopped and wrapped it around a neighbouring spoke, opened up the rear brake and wobbled home. Had a nice spare wheel already so swapped over the cassette to that (10 speed to a 9 speed freehub- there was even a 1mm spacer behind the cassette, although I'd already bought one on eBay before I found this out). Was a basic Shimano wheel and I intended to retire it once I'd got some use out of it. Turned out some use was 9 years (but not big mileage, maybe 12,000 miles)

My commutes of late have been fine affairs, sunshine no numpties etc. This morning all was fine until approaching Broxbourne on the canal path, sudden stabbing pain just below the collar bone, I had been stung by a wasp and the bugger was stuck in my jersey. Queue a emergency stop, threw the bike and my pack and took my jersey off in a flash. I quite often have a bad reaction to wasp stings, the last one on my head closed both my eyes with swelling etc. So far I am ok so might not have to call a taxi to get home this evening.
Whilst I was stood by the canal being peed off, a cyclist went past, coming towards him were 2 joggers, one with a puppy french pug tied on a lead from her waist . Jogger went right, pug went left, cyclist straight down the middle. He hit the lead on his tyre, pug did a enforced back somersault and was scrabbling on his back. The lady went mad screaming, cyclist slowed for a nano second then forged on. So guess who got the tirade on all cyclists being not nice people.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Too many inconsiderate dog owners about.

Too many don't give a hoot in shared spaces, and have zero control over themselves (I won't blame the dog). I'd rather not hit an animal, but if you've got a 'gang' of them, please control them, even at crawling pace I'll have to stop. Or you get the owner who jumps the wrong way, whilst the dog stays where it is. Roll on some bad weather. I'm off out on a 'fake' commute today on the road bike (WFH).

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Aside from it being a tad warm, the notable thing for last nights commute into work was the trusty 2014 Boardman CX Team reaching just over 20,000 miles. I started cycle commuting in 2015 and so far just over 13,000 miles of the total are commutes. All I have done aside from basic maintenance (chains/cassettes etc) is a dynamo hub and changed the rear wheel. I hope the new one coming later this year does me just as well.

scragend

I had an interesting experience on the way to work yesterday morning.

I was riding along (urban roads), minding my own business when I started to hear a squealing sound behind me. A car came past, with its left front wheel splayed out and pointing very much in the wrong direction! Not long after the car passed me, it veered to the left, hit the kerb, bounced off it and then carried on down the road. If that had happened a few seconds sooner it would have cleaned me out.

I was hoping to be able to catch up with it at the traffic lights a bit further up and have a little chat with the driver. Unfortunately they changed to green before I reached them so I didn't get the chance. The driver turned right at the lights but, with his left front wheel pointing to the left, struggled to make the turn, hit the kerb again on the outside of the corner and then just carried on.

I was so speechless and baffled at what I'd just witnessed that I didn't have the presence of mind to get the registration number. Still can't quite believe it!

Top Bottom