Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Grim in manchester this morning. Slightly warmer, brought out heavy cloud/mist/drizzle which was surprisingly unplesant to ride through. Hopefully it will lift by later on.

It's gone.

gzoom

Über Member
Hope you guys with falls are OK. First commute on the bike for nearly 10 days for me because of all the ice. Still pretty slippery out there but no falls for me however really glad I was on my hybrid with 35mm tires and 'bomb proof' wheels.

Those you guys commuting in when it was -5.......:wacko:

fossyant

Hope you guys with falls are OK. First commute on the bike for nearly 10 days for me because of all the ice. Still pretty slippery out there but no falls for me however really glad I was on my hybrid with 35mm tires and 'bomb proof' wheels.

Those you guys commuting in when it was -5.......:wacko:

Ice tyres here, and they are slow, and I am manually powered by my old legs (I'm 53 and have a serious amount of my spine missing around L1). The tyres will stay till March. Then goes on the really less slightly slow Land Cruisers. Road bikes and my FS MTB are for the fun.

Only peeps that are passing me at the moment are road bikes and fast hybrids - no elecric bikes at all. We had a bad fall on my route last week - busted hip at a chicane - even my ice tyres slipped, poor other rider, hospital.

Ice tyres for commuting in winter, or don't complain/go home. Belt and braces

No electric bikes here for a 20 mile return commute with hills. It's hard, but it allows long days on road bikes or big hill days on the MTB.

2023_01_31_Commute_01.jpg

Daylight on the morning commute again.

Also, the river was cleaned out by all the storms; I've never seen a river that could be described as "clear like glass" before; I can see the colour variation on each rock.

fossyant

Woke at 5, considered the car given my bike has a headset that's coming loose and it was piddling down, then thought of the traffic, and I'll likely have to drive the next few days as daughter can't get into Uni (needs the train), so got up at 6:40, quick coffee and on my way. Took a headset spanner with me. Bike was fine, traffic was horrendous as I sailed past ! First 5 miles were rather wet, but the waterproof top and winter boots did the job.

I did wonder at one point how some bloke on a hybrid had caught me then whizzed past. Later on, he'd broken down - electric bike !

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Managed a cheeky extra hill or two in the way home tonight.

Then got a call from a friend, we share almost the entire route, who got knocked off later. Seems OK, cycled home afterwards, but went over a bonnet, so rather shaken.

farking motorists.

Friend safely cycled into work this morning. Kudos!

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Woke at 5, considered the car given my bike has a headset that's coming loose and it was piddling down, then thought of the traffic, and I'll likely have to drive the next few days as daughter can't get into Uni (needs the train), so got up at 6:40, quick coffee and on my way. Took a headset spanner with me. Bike was fine, traffic was horrendous as I sailed past ! First 5 miles were rather wet, but the waterproof top and winter boots did the job.

I did wonder at one point how some bloke on a hybrid had caught me then whizzed past. Later on, he'd broken down - electric bike !

Was proper grim for the first half of my ride this morning, wind and rain straight in the face.

Cleared up and nearly made it home in the light.

Quite a nice commute today except for the bits in town. I have had no incidents I can recall for ages, today two of them came along at once, fortunately not a 3rd one (Unless you count the Doh moment).

On the dual carriageway I had a motorbike squeeze through the gap at speed brushing my jacket slightly (fortunately not enough to unbalance me). Only for him to get about 30m up the road before finding his massive panniers to big for subsequent gaps. I was tempted to go and have a word but that would have meant going by the crossing I wanted to use to avoid a stupid roundabout.

At night as I was going downhill towards a mini roundabout which is used to turn off/on a rat run. I finally had what I have been waiting for for over a year, some eejit to pull out in front of me.

My 3rd moment (the doh one). As it had been twilight I'd been pressing on at a good rate to get out of the country lanes before it became pitch black. When I got to the main road there's a constant stream of traffic coming fast down a hill and I turn right in front of it. There's a big barriered ghost island and it's often best to split the turn in half and seek refuge in it. The car next to me did the same. When were in the ghost island the 3rd or 4th car coming down the hill actually stopped and flashed us out, much to the annoyance of the other muppets who almost crashed into them. So me and the car next to me waiting to turn moved fast. I then heard a noise which I thought was my pass falling out of my jacket. I tapped my chest in a few places I couldn't feel it. So I stopped and searched for it but eventually gave up and continued to the station. Lol, when I was getting the phone out (e ticket) un gloves I felt the pass 😂

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Seems like the puncture repair I did back in January has failed as I could feel the rear tyre on the ebike slowly softening on the way in to work - slow enough for about 5 miles to pass from my first suspicions until I had to stop and add some air to get me to work. The track pump I keep in my locker gave more than enough air for the 4 mile (almost) direct route home and I'll swap the tube out over the weekend. I'm surprised the patch lasted this long given the size of the original cut and that it was almost on the seam of the tube.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
No commute to work today bit needed to hand deliver some letters, was on my Mailstar appropriately.

When turning right at a mini roundabout, which is part of a pair, as I was making my way around it I could see a car approaching at speed and I could see they where not looking for someone coming from my direction. Fortunately there was noone else behind me so I stopped and they flew by a meter or so in front of me. I am 100% sure they have no clue at all I was there.

IMG_20230201_213511.jpg

Top Bottom