Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Another beautiful day, so I made the effort and diverted into the Peak.

Magnificently rewarded with the sun breaking and dawn across to Kinder Scout.

But I'm conflicted - which is best, wide angle or the normal lens. What say the cyclechat massif?

kinder2.jpg

Kinder1.jpg

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Both great.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
bbbbrrrrrrrr.................another cold one this morning.
Lovely bright sunny morning, until I got close to London then was enveloped in a blanket of thick fog.
Looking the same for the next couple of days.

Alex321

Veteran
Another beautiful day, so I made the effort and diverted into the Peak.

Magnificently rewarded with the sun breaking and dawn across to Kinder Scout.

But I'm conflicted - which is best, wide angle or the normal lens. What say the cyclechat massif?

View attachment 677273

View attachment 677274

Both good, but prefer the wide angle personally.

Didn't dare commute on the bike today, with temp of -2C, damp roads and fog

I took advantage of the forecast and used it as an excuse to take the gravel bike out and detour by the secondary A road to grab a tile and avoid a twisty descent through the woods on the country lane. I started of in beautiful sunshine and it was warming up nicely. Climbed the big hill on its single carriageway (with passing places) road that used as a rat run. The rats were very patient though and it was getting sunnier still. The forecast was wrong I thought.

Then I turned to the village by the 'A' road, freezing fog. The forecast was right. The garmin probably recorded those temperatures round there.
Temp.png

The A road was a lot better than I expected, a lot less busy than I thought it would be and the majority of drivers very patient. There was a couple of moments when I thought, they were going fast! Sure enough the Varia recorded two at 70mph.

Garmin.png

(btw the cars in the first 12mins, circa 40cars never actually passed me, that was when I was cycling on the cycleways next to the dual carriageways out of town).

When I got to town I bypassed the usual log jam by using a bridleway.

I wish I had took a selfie when I got to the office, the beard was solid ice :laugh: Strangely I wasn't cold the new mtb shoes had done their job :okay:

Having took the gravel bike in on the way home I took the bridleway through the woods and nicely got through that just as light was fading (I had a head torch but never needed it :smile:

I was tempted by another bridleway through a field which would have skipped the twisty descent on the single carriage road but light was fading and I decided getting on a crowded commuter train with any more muck probably wasn't advisable :laugh:

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Train w@nkering today and hate it. Might as well call it the Covid Express. What is it with train commuters and not opening windows for fresh air. Yes, I know it's cold but rather that then hot, stuffy, rank metal tube air.

Back on the bike tomorrow thank feck.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Train w@nkering today and hate it

Commiserations. Are you rewarding yourself with a few Ales ? That's the only reason I catch the train.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Having enjoyed my riding in sunshine and crisp frosty conditions I just wasn't feeling it today. Grey skies and despite riding my TCR in, I was still extremely slow - 14mph av speed whereas in the summer it was nearer 17 mph on this bike. Nice to be off the winter spike tyres but I was only 1-2mph faster today than on the other heavier bike.

I feel like I have lost fitness, despite daily commuting 10 miles in & 6 miles home.

I'll give the bike a good going over later, check tyre pressures, clean it up etc. Maybe the time has come for me to make an effort to lose weight. I haven't stepped on the scales for a bit.

Alex321

Veteran
Having enjoyed my riding in sunshine and crisp frosty conditions I just wasn't feeling it today. Grey skies and despite riding my TCR in, I was still extremely slow - 14mph av speed whereas in the summer it was nearer 17 mph on this bike. Nice to be off the winter spike tyres but I was only 1-2mph faster today than on the other heavier bike.

I feel like I have lost fitness, despite daily commuting 10 miles in & 6 miles home.

I'll give the bike a good going over later, check tyre pressures, clean it up etc. Maybe the time has come for me to make an effort to lose weight. I haven't stepped on the scales for a bit.

I'm always at least 1-2mph slower in winter, sometimes more.

I think it is caused by a combination of factors - more clothes to start, being colder tends to inhibit the effort you can put in, the roads are usually damp enough to increase rolling resistance, it is dark for at least part of the ride, probably some other factors as well.

Having put weight on over Christmas that I haven't fully lost yet can't help either.

Tom B

Guru
According to Strava I've passed this way over 3000 times, but today I managed to cut across and drop off a kerb across a 90° corner enough to put a snakebite in the tube...

Oh hum.

Last week turned up at work to find the FM guys had decided to fill the bike store / rack area with an old fridge some knackered chairs, and a legless desk. Parked the bike ontop of them for a few days. Then a few of us parked our bikes in a precious car parking space which prompted a round robin email.

So on monday we put the junk in a parking space and the bikes in the racks. Wednesday the crap was moved and today a skip appeared.

The other, better more covered and illuminated half of the bike racks has now become a defacto smoking / vaping shelter which is a bit crap because in decent weather we'd taken to hanging clothing up to air, not smoke. I'm tempted to hang a few kippers up.

Last edited:
Train w@nkering today and hate it. Might as well call it the Covid Express. What is it with train commuters and not opening windows for fresh air. Yes, I know it's cold but rather that then hot, stuffy, rank metal tube air.

Back on the bike tomorrow thank feck.

What I find annoying is the folk who squeeze down a busy aisle to get to the door that's closer to the station building/ steps. Minimising the need to walk down a platform in the fresh air 😐

Top Bottom