Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Durano Plus (I have 23mm on a 1970s Harry Quinn fixie) are very stiff and certainly not very fast tyres, but tolerable for short commutes given their toughness.

Marathon+, which I used in 26 x 1.35 on my old On-One Inbred - also a fixie - rolled really well, although the weight was very noticeable when starting off. Through a kind of inverse snobbery, I did the 2012 Dunwich Dynamo on that bike without even cleaning off the previous winter's mud - I did oil the chain - and it was quite a fast run.

Alex321

Veteran
I'm not sure I have ever felt so cold on the bike as this morning.
When I left the house it was about 7C and just starting to spit with rain.
10 minutes later it was tipping down, and 3C, dropping to 2 for the last half of the ride. I've ridden in those temperatures reasonably often, but not when soaked to the skin, and with gloves that I normally wear in the 7-12C range.

I've never been so glad to get into a hot shower.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
We had the rain yesterday evening, quite heavy at times. Only saving grace was that it wasn't windy.
Rainy commute # 14
Same period last year 15 rainy commutes

A stark change this morning. Bright blue, sunshiny day with a nice tailwind pushing me to work.
But is going to make it hard work for the ride home later today.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Got to the halfway point this morning and it started to hail!

Felt like my face was being pebbledashed, but the only option was to carry on.

Thank goodness for radiators and a warm shower at work.

Alex321

Veteran
absolutely hammering it down, roads flooded , cold ...............

good job a work mate offered me a lift home !! :smile:

I'm not sure I have ever felt so cold on the bike as this morning.
When I left the house it was about 7C and just starting to spit with rain.
10 minutes later it was tipping down, and 3C, dropping to 2 for the last half of the ride. I've ridden in those temperatures reasonably often, but not when soaked to the skin, and with gloves that I normally wear in the 7-12C range.

I've never been so glad to get into a hot shower.

Got to the halfway point this morning and it started to hail!

Felt like my face was being pebbledashed, but the only option was to carry on.

Thank goodness for radiators and a warm shower at work.

There seems to be a bit of a theme here for this morning :sad:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Back on it after a few days off. Change of clothes - lightweight LS with the option of shorts - went with my lightweight MTB trousers as the roads were wet.

Nearly got eaten by a GSD - guy walking two, pulled them to one side, but could tell one of them fancied a nibble. Said thanks to the owner for keeping them to one side, he said 'cheers mate', then it went for me. Owner shouted at the dog. Might be same dog that's had a bite of me previously, and also neighbour attacked whilst running locally, but each time it's been a female walking the dog. May be a different dog, but I've only ever seen a GSD walked by this fella or another woman.

Alex321

Veteran
A lot more pleasant going home this afternoon, Sunny and 7-10C for the first part of the ride. Clouded over about half way through, but no actual rain or significant temperature drop until about 10 minutes from home, and even then nowhere near as heavy as this morning and only down to 4C.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
According to the local weather forecast, it was always going to be an interesting commute today. This morning I left in drizzle that turned to rain that turned to blue skies that turned to rain that turned to blue skies and just before I got to work, a huge downpour.
For this evenings commute 50mph winds and storms are forecast. Oh yes, it will be interesting indeed.

Rainy commute #15 for the year
Same period last year 15 rainy commutes
Level pegging.

biking_fox

Guru
Proper spring weather - heavy showers and bright sun. The sun really feels warm. The wind has a bitter edge. If you can dodge the showers it's great. I waited out last night's 5pm one, and by 5:05 it was dry again.

Easter job - thoroughly clean the bike. Again.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Proper spring weather - heavy showers and bright sun. The sun really feels warm. The wind has a bitter edge. If you can dodge the showers it's great. I waited out last night's 5pm one, and by 5:05 it was dry again.

Easter job - thoroughly clean the bike. Again.

I got caught last night - first 3 miles were a deluge and windy. Blooming cold this morning though - didn't get sun at a slightly earlier commute in Manchesterland - popped the winter softshell back on, with water 'resistant' MTB pants.

united4ever

Über Member
I did my last-ever bike commute today. Retiring at the end of next week and need to clear out my locker tomorrow. I survived 18 years with two crashes (one in freezing rain, the other when a dozy cyclist rode straight into me) and one on-road puncture. Most of the commutes were on a fixie, because I really hate cleaning bikes in winter.

Congratulations. Out of interest how does cycling fit into your retirement plans? Must admit, though the idea of spending hours in the saddle in retirement sounds ok and hugely beneficial for body and mind, I do wonder if I would really make it out of the front door if I didn't have to. Especially November to March.

Top Bottom