Tales from today's utility ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Good to revive an old thread! Didn't see this the first time round...

Been collecting stuff from Screwfix 7 miles away and Homebase [before it shut] throughout the lockdowns [to finish all the little jobs that I'd always meant to get round to!] and still nip down there on my old Dawes as it's the only bike I have with a rack [Mrs A_T's permanently 'borrowed' my Giant hybrid]. Tins of emulsion were the trickiest to keep stable!
Did you fill your rucksack?

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Did you fill your rucksack?
My only backpack is a tiddly thing that we use for walking and for my essentials when I'm on my bike... be lucky to get two tins of beans and a litre bottle of milk in it!

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Headed to the local carboot early this morning with my brother in law, loaded the Union with the Super C Panniers in anticipation of bargains, however poor weather and the fact there was not that much good stuff meant I only bought some Crown Green Bowls. I could have done with just the saddle bag.

The weather got pretty horrible but we managed to get a coffee too and then head back home. 13 miles as we took a big detour home but even in the rain I can't gen enough of riding this bike.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Utility ride with sprog today to local shops and a little picnic to make it a day out. She's loving the little potter about rides at the moment as am I.
Thinking about a rigid fork, semi slicks and panniers for the 29er to make it a decent bike for this purpose.
Was tempted to fit her bike with some panniers too to save on her having to use a rucksack but apparently these are hard to come by despite kids bikes being fitted with racks.

Since I got my bike last summer, the great majority of my shopping trips have been on it. The savings I've made by not needing to use a taxi one way - too far for me to walk from the bus while carrying shopping - have already paid for a big chunk of the cost of the bike. I'm currently awaiting the arrival of a rear basket so I can carry even more. I already have a front 'Kanga rack' on a frame-mounted luggage truss, which doesn't impede the folding ability, a pair of panniers and a front handlebar basket for anything lightweight that doesn't warrant the Kanga rack.

Since I got my bike last summer, the great majority of my shopping trips have been on it. The savings I've made by not needing to use a taxi one way - too far for me to walk from the bus while carrying shopping - have already paid for a big chunk of the cost of the bike. I'm currently awaiting the arrival of a rear basket so I can carry even more. I already have a front 'Kanga rack' on a frame-mounted luggage truss, which doesn't impede the folding ability, a pair of panniers and a front handlebar basket for anything lightweight that doesn't warrant the Kanga rack.
That sounds like a great setup, sadly I weigh nearly 100kg, and that's about the limit a Brompton is designed to carry safely, but I would be looking into that kanga rack otherwise!

Top Bottom