Talk Talk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
I use EE. So far no issues and I get 10Gb of free data per month on my mobile. I've not had to call their desk yet.

I left Sky because when I called their desk they said the issue was in my house. I gave them technical proof that it wasn't but they wouldn't listen. So bye bye Sky. EE just happened to call me when I'd decided to leave Sky

I'm frequently the duty manager for some fairly important stuff so I need reliable broadband. So far EE haven't caused me issues
Wait until you do. You'll regret even calling. Doubt the data is free though.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
You get a cheap broadband service.

I'm not sure about their technical staff being dishonest as I've never dealt with them. Unless it's specific such as lying about emails sent etc, I'd be more likely to call them ignorant rather than dishonest. Having worked in IT for nearly all my working life, the skills required for a good broadband technical desk do not come cheap. TT probably had no desire to pay those levels and so got techies from the low experience pool

They may spout a script that comes down from "on high" from a totally cynical corporate structure, but they are the one's doing it. "Just following orders" doesn't cut the mustard. Sorry.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Wait until you do. You'll regret even calling. Doubt the data is free though.
Well the broadband cost is what I signed up to and the my mobile bill didn't change so I count that as a free addition. All I want from a Service Desk usually is that they quickly accept that I know enough to be past the script stage and that they should get 2nd line, preferably 3rd line to call me.

martint235

Dog on a bike
They may spout a script that comes down from "on high" from a totally cynical corporate structure, but they are the one's doing it. "Just following orders" doesn't cut the mustard. Sorry.
They follow a script written for them by 3rd line support usually. They are either paid more for not bothering 2nd/3rd line support or more likely penalised for the number of escalations they make per month so they will do anything to fob you off with what it says on the script. I still don't think it's the Service Desk agent's fault though.

The only broadband service desk I found to be really good was that at Be. True, it was Eastern European but they knew their stuff. Then Sky bought them out and ruined it by bringing it into the UK where they couldn't afford decent staff.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
The CEO says
"[Our data] wasn't encrypted, nor are you legally required to encrypt it. We have complied with all of our legal obligations in terms of storing of financial information."
Article HERE

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
You get a cheap broadband service.

I'm not sure about their technical staff being dishonest as I've never dealt with them. Unless it's specific such as lying about emails sent etc, I'd be more likely to call them ignorant rather than dishonest. Having worked in IT for nearly all my working life, the skills required for a good broadband technical desk do not come cheap. TT probably had no desire to pay those levels and so got techies from the low experience pool

Few even have decent knowledgeable staff on the telephone faults. Long gone are the days when the person you spoke to was an engineer with intimate knowledge of the service. Indeed, you can throw most of them if you demonstrate an understanding of what they're providing.

Tim Hall

Few even have decent knowledgeable staff on the telephone faults. Long gone are the days when the person you spoke to was an engineer with intimate knowledge of the service. Indeed, you can throw most of them if you demonstrate an understanding of what they're providing.
What you need is an xkcd compliant ISP.
tech_support.png

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
They follow a script written for them by 3rd line support usually. They are either paid more for not bothering 2nd/3rd line support or more likely penalised for the number of escalations they make per month so they will do anything to fob you off with what it says on the script. I still don't think it's the Service Desk agent's fault though.

The only broadband service desk I found to be really good was that at Be. True, it was Eastern European but they knew their stuff. Then Sky bought them out and ruined it by bringing it into the UK where they couldn't afford decent staff.
I just wanted a scrap of honesty from them. I would have been pleased if they held their hands up and admitted that they couldn't solve the problem (OK ,without the lie that somebody would phone me back on my mobile, the number of which I had never given them, BTW), but they just went on saying it was my problem, not theirs.
. I guess it was really, but no more.

Tin Pot

Guru
I would love to know where TV News get their "security experts" from.

I've never heard nor seen any of them before. I bet it's one of the reporters mates who "knows about that stuff".

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I just wanted a scrap of honesty from them. I would have been pleased if they held their hands up and admitted that they couldn't solve the problem (OK ,without the lie that somebody would phone me back on my mobile, the number of which I had never given them, BTW), but they just went on saying it was my problem, not theirs.
. I guess it was really, but no more.

I remember a certain US phone company our systems connected to who would swear blind that the problem was our end. So we'd spend time testing our end before getting back to them with an all clear this end report. Then miraculously it would come OK and they would be equally adamant that they'd done nothing.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I would love to know where TV News get their "security experts" from.

I've never heard nor seen any of them before. I bet it's one of the reporters mates who "knows about that stuff".

The BBC did at least roll out Graham Cluley, who has a pretty impressive track record in IT security going back 20+ years and tends to know what he's talking about.

martint235

Dog on a bike
The BBC did at least roll out Graham Cluley, who has a pretty impressive track record in IT security going back 20+ years and tends to know what he's talking about.
Wasn't it the BBC who once pulled a guy on as a "Security Expert" but he was in fact in the studio for a completely different story?

martint235

Dog on a bike
Apparently TT have said they will only waive the exit fees for people who have money stolen from them. I'm still expecting the regulator to have something to say about this.

Top Bottom