Talk Talk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
I'm an ex customer who wants to know why they haven't kept their data securely!:cursing: I'm assuming I'm still in their database.:sad:

Because they didn't want to spend money doing it.

It's that simple.

The legal framework is now in place to drop a horrendous fine on them, we'll see if they get hit hard or not. I won't hold my breath...

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I think that BT bought up PlusNet quite recently. You should compare PN's current and past customer satisfaction ratings in the Which? surveys. It's dropped like a stone. I signed up with PN on August 10th and was promised broadband for 24th August. I eventually got it on 22nd September after three weeks entirely without broadband and email. I suspect that all ISPs are utter sh1te.....

....and breathe....

classic33

Leg End Member
TalkTalk cyber-attack: Boss 'receives ransom email'
The head of TalkTalk says she has had an email demanding a ransom from a group purporting to be behind the cyber-attack suffered by the company.

Chief executive Dido Harding said she did not know whether the ransom email was genuine.

The phone and broadband provider said personal and banking details of up to four million customers may have been accessed in the "significant" attack.

The Met Police said the email was "forming part of its investigations".

"It is hard for me to give you very much detail, but yes, we have been contacted by, I don't know whether it is an individual or a group, purporting to be the hacker," Ms Harding told the BBC's business editor Kamal Ahmed.

"All I can say is that I had personally received a contact from someone purporting - as I say I don't know whether they are or are not - to be the hacker looking for money."

The BBC's security correspondent Gordon Corera said government sources had told him they currently viewed the Talk Talk incident as cybercrime, rather than anything relating to national security.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34615226

Tim Hall

I think that BT bought up PlusNet quite recently. You should compare PN's current and past customer satisfaction ratings in the Which? surveys. It's dropped like a stone. I signed up with PN on August 10th and was promised broadband for 24th August. I eventually got it on 22nd September after three weeks entirely without broadband and email. I suspect that all ISPs are utter sh1te.....

....and breathe....
Taken over by BT in 2007, according to Wikipedia, which isn't really recent.

Tin Pot

Guru
I suppose it could be any of the many disgruntled TalkTalk customers waging jihad against their ex-ISP.

Pretty unlikely. More likely a hacker group looking for money and notoriety, possibly organised crime. The publicity has blown their chance of a pay out.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Pretty unlikely. More likely a hacker group looking for money and notoriety, possibly organised crime. The publicity has blown their chance of a pay out.
I wasn't being entirely serious. I'm sure the villains will be able to sell-on whatever dope they have gleaned to other interested parties. It's a bit unlikely that they would hand over a memory stick in a deserted moonlit lay-by somewhere near the Hog's Back in exchange for a bundle of used twenties.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I'm a Talk Talk customer. :sad:

Please don't click on this Post.

Seriously tho' I'm just waiting to see what happens and taking my usual care. All I've had from Talk Talk is a letter of a general sort basically saying take care.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Had another email from Talk Talk saying Credit Card details were encrypted and passwords are safe. Basically I think I'm in the clear
Ah I hate to be the bearer of bad news. It's true that the chances of direct financial fraud (eg using your credit card number or authorising a direct debit) are much reduced by what Talk Talk found to be encrypted, however the hackers will have enough information to set up a new credit card etc in your name. I'd stay on your guard for quite a while yet.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Ah I hate to be the bearer of bad news. It's true that the chances of direct financial fraud (eg using your credit card number or authorising a direct debit) are much reduced by what Talk Talk found to be encrypted, however the hackers will have enough information to set up a new credit card etc in your name. I'd stay on your guard for quite a while yet.
And the wording:

On its own, none of the data that may have been accessed could be used to leave you financially worse off.
...only means ''on its own'' and not in conjunction with anything else. It might simply mean TT have let 3 of 4 essential details out, but those 3 details were given in trust. It's just damage limitation for the 3 details and lawyerese to cover them for the 'at your own risk'' 4th, IMO.

Top Bottom