Talk Talk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I haven't had one for a couple of weeks, I kind of miss them. Next one I'm going to play along then gently introduce the idea that they should have Jesus in their heart, building until all I want to talk about is the love of Jesus. See how long they last.

I once had that, I repaired a pc and these 2 turned up to collect and proceeded to try to get me to turn to jesus :laugh:

Reactions: TVC

Lonestar

Veteran
Talktalk are just a shambles, I get called out to fix peoples internet problems all the time and they are the worst. Their attitude is that it is the customers equipment that is at fault unless you can prove otherwise, which I have great pleasure in doing on a regular basis.

Any you can't fix? I take it it's stupid stuff coupled with difficult stuff to fix.Thankfully I manage ok and can't remember the last time I had a problem I couldn't fix on that side.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
How are you supposed to change your password when the site's down?
tt.png

Tin Pot

Guru
To be fair there is no way to contact you which fraudsters don't use also. What they shouldn't do is include links to click on in their emails because normalising that is a real problem. They should direct you to their website and channel you from there to the correct area.

There is. Authentication can work both ways, but they won't consider it (having put it forward at retail banks and had it rejected I know the space).

Two way authentication is perfectly possible, it's marketing that won't have it. They want to sell, and securing comms with authentication undermines there ability to sell. The conversation ends there.

andyfraser

Über Member
How about a short summary of: emails should be signed like this:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcVECaJgN-A

And we should all be able to choose which public keys we trust, but at the moment, the most common system has a limited number of keycutters (Certificate Authorities), some of whom have been caught cutting keys for the bad people, whereas alternative systems (web of trust and so on) have been slow to catch on because the top keycutters probably wouldn't make as much money and few tech-savvy people are explaining how the system works at all (not only to pie eaters) or making it easier to use.

The oligarchies that affect security are some of the internet's most shameful things.

I put a lot of effort into promoting PGP about 10 years ago. I felt it was easier to get going with than having to buy certs from CAs. Companies can put their public keys on their website if they can be authenticated by TLS. I couldn't get anyone else interested except a few fellow techies. The ship has sailed now with so many people using services like Gmail where, to my knowledge, you can't use PGP unless you use a proper email client.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The ship has sailed now with so many people using services like Gmail where, to my knowledge, you can't use PGP unless you use a proper email client.
For sending, but it should be possible to authenticate emails (weakly) over webmail, which would make phishing harder.

But yes, I agree and BTDTGTTS. I know it's not caught on yet, but there's some disruption brewing, such as "Let's Encrypt", so who knows? I wouldn't bet any farms on when, though!

andyfraser

Über Member
For sending, but it should be possible to authenticate emails (weakly) over webmail, which would make phishing harder.

But yes, I agree and BTDTGTTS. I know it's not caught on yet, but there's some disruption brewing, such as "Let's Encrypt", so who knows? I wouldn't bet any farms on when, though!
Bolting encryption onto email may not be the best solution anyway. We need something else that does the same job, has security built in from the start and is distributed so Facebook, Google, Apple or anyone else can't own them.

Let's Encrypt looks really interesting though and should help with the adoption of TLS on websites.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
They are not wholly own by BT but yes they have a stake in them and the difference in service, performance & selling practices between them is like night and day.
I am with TalkTalk and haven't really had many problems, although on the odd occasion I have, trying to sort things out via telephone has been very frustrating. I intend leaving in April when my contract expires because BT seem to offer a better service, but reading your comments I wonder whether I might regret that. I have heard good reports about Plusnet and they now provide a TV service as well, so I might well try them instead.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I am with TalkTalk and haven't really had many problems, although on the odd occasion I have, trying to sort things out via telephone has been very frustrating. I intend leaving in April when my contract expires because BT seem to offer a better service, but reading your comments I wonder whether I might regret that. I have heard good reports about Plusnet and they now provide a TV service as well, so I might well try them instead.

Well BT & Talktalk where both at the bottom of customer satisfaction surveys for 2015 and surprisingly I believe that BT was actually lower than Talktalk this year, I hear they are now moving the call centers back to the UK as people just don't want to deal with the current call centers,

I think people forget when choosing companies to provide services that there are other factors than just price, I could get my BB cheaper than I do but I want to deal with a company that isn't going to aggressively market crap I don't want to me, treat me like crap when something goes wrong and I have seen both those things happen with many of the top BB providers and have had personal experience of some of it with both NTL (cable) and Sky and I wouldn't deal with either of those companies again in a million years.

Yes Plusnet do some premium channel packages for YouView, I don't subscribe to them because you have to use a YouView box from Plusnet and I have the top of the range Humax and there is no way I am going to the cheap slow boxes. Plus the fact that with Freeview Play coming out to rival YouView I want to see how that develops and I may change over if the hardware works better.

Top Bottom