Talk Talk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Garz

Squat Member
Fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) top speed of 40Mbps isnt really that great for such a 'new' service installation. (BBC link)

Virgin apparently are capable of 200Mb speeds which seems to be a more boast-able speed.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Garz said:
Fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) top speed of 40Mbps isnt really that great for such a 'new' service installation. (BBC link)

Virgin apparently are capable of 200Mb speeds which seems to be a more boast-able speed.

That's all very nice... Worldwide, new service, no it isn't anything that impressive. For this country, yes it is. If I'm going to quote off BT information you'd have expected me to have read the story. The problem is more (a) it only being 40% of the country (:blush: a lot of the areas will overlap with virgin media (not entirely as virgin don't "do" whole areas). If (:smile: wasn't the case many people would have been extremely enthusiastic when it was announced some time ago. I know people in ultra urban areas that can only get 3-5Mbs because there is so much aluminium about. Funnily enough virgin's plans are not dissimilar in terms of speed...

I do actually have virgin media myself... 200Mbs will not be seen for quite a considerable time. Virgin are capable of many things, the problem is upgrading to be able to do it. This is what it always boils down to with virgin. Virgin are also quite good at telling porkies and their projects rarely run on time. I'm not holding out for Virgin's IPTV any time soon.

Garz

Squat Member
Yes, I was just highlighting MY that tech is actually old and we in britain tolerate alot from what I believe a field we should be global leaders in and not sub-par.

Expanding on your observation
I know people in ultra urban areas that can only get 3-5Mbs because there is so much aluminium about.
. My wifes family live in a very rural area, however now you can utilise data connections over mobile telephone networks I am watching how this pans out. On these you can get some o.k speeds so there is a solution just people dont make as much effort (people as in organisations/regulators/government bodies).

Top Bottom