Talking to Other Cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
How many of us here regularly of occasionally talk to other cyclists on our commutes?

I just ask because I got talking to a rather nice woman who I caught up with this evening. Late 30s / early 40s, very fit and showing some very good form (and I mean a smooth style) and it was that that got me talking to her. It was actually quite a pleasant change to my usual solitary routine...

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
See a few. Theres one I talk to regularly on the way in. Surprised the other afternoon when he pulled up beside me at the traffic lights, first time our paths have crossed on the return journey.

Seeing him in the distance is a good spur as I know he's got a generally faster pace.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I usually say hello to any cyclist I pass/passes me. Some say hi back, some want to chat (at lights) some don't, some just ignore. Takes all sorts I suppose

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Yep. I love to be riding along and talking to someone you have only just met, with the main thing in common is riding a bike. Best one was with an American guy that had just moved over, also called Joe. He was on a fixed and was pretty fast. I tried to beet him and was doing about 23-24mph and he caught up and still managed to sprint ahead when a car wanted to pass. He wanted to know about what racing was about. We rode along talking for about a mile before he had to turn around, which he did by a skid using his legs to stop the back wheel then slid around and powerd off.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
One in particular I will have a good chat to once I have caught him / he has caught me and this can last for several miles.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Sadly apart for the occasional hello, no, but then I don't always travel at regular times...

gbb

Legendary Member
I have occasionally rode and chatted with others, but my rides are off the beaten tracks so i dont often see others.
I regretted not chatting to a lady once..she was struggling against the wind, with a low cadence in the middle of nowhere.
I really wanted to suggest she shifted up a couple of gears, but didnt want to appear OTT or to spook her...so i breezed past and said nowt :sad:

The truth is, the circumstances are against you...are you on the same route, same'ish speed, does he/she want to chat, does the traffic allow you to ride side by side....

It's nice when it happens tho...

Plax

Guru
I have never had occassion to speak to other cyclists. I never really see any. Having said that I have seen one guy twice (and passed him twice). The first time I passed him I said hello, and he kind of look startled (like "OMG, a girl on a bike is overtaking me!" kind of startled) and didn't say anything. The last time, I overtook him whilst we were both battling a rather horrid head wind. I said something along the lines of "bit windy" and he did a kind of nervous smile.

Once another work colleague cycled part of the way to work with me and we had a chat. I found that hard going as he was going at a fair pace on the straight so trying to keep up with him and talk at the same time was quite hard going (he's an experienced cyclist who does time trials and stuff - he was on a mountain bike with big nobblies at the time and is about 20 yrs older than me so well put me to shame). When we got to the driveway up to work I had to fall back as I just couldn't maintain the same speed up the hill! I've ridden to work with one of the girls in the office numerous times but that is fine as we have a nice easy going pace so you don't get tired out talking.

col

Legendary Member
Same here HJ,the times i go are not the normal office hour times,so dont normally see anyone else .

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Since most cyclists in Singapore are going slower than ham sandwiches at a synagogue, it's a bit difficult to have a chat......

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
zimzum42 said:
Since most cyclists in Singapore are going slower than ham sandwiches at a synagogue, it's a bit difficult to have a chat......

Ha ha- yeah, it was like that in Tokyo too. Except for the weekends when you got the most gorgeous svelte young ladies out training on the most beautifully kept Italian bikes on the riverside bike paths...

zimzum42

Legendary Member
There are some proper cyclists out here, but we seem to stick to the main routes and hammer along just to not piss the traffic off.

We do seem to be a bit of a novelty though

now, time to go looking for these svelte young laydeez

Top Bottom