Talking to Other Cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
Very rarely get to see other cyclists, let alone meet and talk with them.
On my commute, 2 bikes within half a mile of each other is called a Critical Mass.

jely

i normally only ride on the weekends so don't have much interaction with anyone... but these last couple of days I have ridden into work and this morning a nice looking guy smiled at me, so perhaps i should start riding to work more often... hahahaha. ;)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Usually say hello to a few I pass - one or two are regulars - usually commenting on the fact it's been dry for once, the state of the traffic (it's been pretty bad recently). Got chatting to an older chap on his road bike after I caught him up a hill - he was on his once a week long commute. I explained that I did save the road bikes for the weekend....

biking_fox

Guru
I don't find talking while riding very practical unless we're dawdling and the road is wide enough to be alongside, ie not often.

However I'll frequently say hello, or comment on the weather or something, if I've stopped at lights near someone.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
When I started cycling I used to smile and say "hello" or "morning" / ''afternoon" to people on the route, but they used to look at me as though I was something they'd just trod on and had to scrape off their shoe.

So eventually I just stopped trying to make the effort. :rolleyes:

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
I pass a lovely middle-aged gent (big hiviz building yard jacket, trouser clips and clarks shoes) every morning. I say a cheery 'morning' and he nods and smiles. I get the feeling he's too out of breath to speak sometimes as it's always uphill I pass him, bless.

I don't really see anyone else along the way to have a natter. I do cross paths with the same people, some nod, some wave and some have a right miserable gob on them.

A couple of times (if the timing is right) a week, I have a bit of fun with a chap on a road bike. We have a bit of a race for around a mile. I think we're equal in the winning stakes at the moment. Funny though, we have never spoken. :rolleyes:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
HLaB said:
I don't know what it is but commuting hardly anybody says hello back but when its leisure cycling they do. Beyond that I've only had a few conversations with other cyclists usually at lights, usually about the weather.

I got more conversation and cheeriness out of the same dogwalkers I used to pass on the path every morning in all seasons. Now that I've changed my route and use the roads for 98% of my journey, I don't see my 'pals' any more and I do miss the cheery smiles and hellos.

Monkey Boy

If they are coming from the other direction then I'll nod, wave, or say 'Morning' or somefink. If we are in the same direction then I'll definatley say hello, nice wheels (if they are nice), etc but more often than not it will not lead to a conversation.

If someone is broken down at the side of the road ten I will stop to see if I can help. Did this a couple of weeks back to some guy who was stranded with a nasty p***ture....so offered up a spare tube I had in my pouch. We were only 10 miles from home and rode back together....and had a great chat. He tried to offer up cash for the tube.....but I refused with a "call it karma....the only payment I will accept is that next time you see someone stranded at the side of the road, ya help them out'. Said he definatley would.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Flying_Monkey said:
Ha ha- yeah, it was like that in Tokyo too. Except for the weekends when you got the most gorgeous svelte young ladies out training on the most beautifully kept Italian bikes on the riverside bike paths...

I think you need to provide us with some photographic evidence...:rolleyes:

ChrisKH

Guru
Oddly enough, people only talk to me if they're on a folder. Certainly no one in my hometown (no one cycles) and everyone averts their gaze on the station platform as I'm the only one in cycling gear. I must look like a right prat. Anyway, once in town there is a clearly defined hierarchy of road users:-

1. Chav heel pedallers. They might try and sell you some gear but ain't gonna talk to you.
2. Mid-range straight bar cyclists. Usually jump lights, so don't have time. I speak to them though (as in 'it's red for you as well you know.......')
3. Nutty enthusiasts on folders (we'll talk to anyone)
4. Roadies (ATGNI).

Got quite a few of number 4 who park in the basement garage downstairs who invariably ignore me; in fact they push ahead to get their bike in front when I'm waiting for the electric garage door to open. Why?

There's one guy on a Spesh Roubaix parked downstairs who goes out of his way to blank me. I had to smile the last time I took my Spesh road bike in and I was in roadie gear. He did a double take.

GrahamG

Guru
I get people talking to me every now and again simply because I'm a fixed wheel fashion victim.... in hilly Bristol - it's either "superb, I'm just getting a single speed built up at the minute", or "you riding fixed?! Brave man!".

Tetedelacourse

Like GBB said, the circumstances are against you. I'm either in a hurry to get to work or in a hurry to get home. If I do happen to fall in behind someone who is moving at my speed or close to it, then I'll strike up a conversation. Admittedly it is usually about the weather or the deficiencies of the council, so that probably cheers folk up.

I did bump into Chewa (was on C+ and I think on here initially) once, which was nice. But other than that it's just me and my snottery shoulders for company.

Top Bottom