Talking to Other Cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Maz said:
Very rarely get to see other cyclists, let alone meet and talk with them.
On my commute, 2 bikes within half a mile of each other is called a Critical Mass.

I have no idea how many cyclists I meet each day but its more than 2 in just the school playground - I think there are about 15 or more cycling parents, though not every day.

This morning someone said hellow to me as if they new me .. and I said nothing back as I was desparately trying to think if I knew them ... then I felt embarassed and waited at the next junction but they must have turned off ... if you read this SORRY:blush:.

I usually just smile.

U

User482

I see quite a few cyclists on my commute. I usually nod by way of greeting, but usually I'm ignored.

Funnily enough, I share a commute (the last two thirds of the journey) through a forest at 06.10 with a Norwegian fella who works near me; we have met three times (on three consecutive days) over a five-week period.
The first day I just burned passed him on an ascent and left him 'standing'; next day we exchanged pleasantries and cycled together, I thought he was French and he thought I was Norwegian, so we had a bit of a surreal conversation in French, English and Norwegian. :ohmy:
I though he was an old bloke, but he's five years younger than me! :biggrin:
The third and last day, I offered to give him all my old cycling mags (bought in February when I was back in England and the LA 7 TdeF DVDs.
Haven't seen him since! He must have been embarrassed that an old git like me pissed passed him on the first day! :ohmy:

gavintc

Guru
I rarely come across cyclists on my commute. I did a couple of weeks ago and we shared the work, chatting occasionally. Nice guy, he was training for an end to end. I quite like occasional meetings with other commuters, a snatched few words, shared experiences. Quite different from the stony silence on the commuter train, with noses buried in the Metro reading the latest non news of the celeb who got drunk last night

medals

I see a girl(probably mid 20's) going in the opposite direction to me most mornings. She usually seems pre-occupied with her journey, she rides a hybred with paniers, so she's working quite hard.
Now even with a helmet on she still looks really nice but she's never really acknowledged my 'good morning nod', until last week when I got a fantastic smile off her. Made my day. :rolleyes:
If you're out there, the girl who's riding along Kenilwoth Road in Cov at about 07.35. Thank you!

dodgy

Most cyclists wave or say hello up here, there's quite a hardcore of riders in Wirral, but hardly any of them are commuters. I always nod, say 'aright' or just lift my hand from the bars briefly if I'm going for it. When the courtesy isn't responded to, I mark their cards :becool:

Dave.

I always say hello if I pass. But there is a lot of miserable buggers out there.

Caught a chap yesterday, passed him (I was going at my own pace) said 'Alright?' as I went past. Nothing. We carry on for another 1/2 mile and then he cogs it up an incline without a word to me.

As he went by I went 'Whooooooooooo' in a shrill, camp voice. I was buggered if I was going to indulge in his little games.

Why do people do this? C'mon, I know you are out there. Do you live such a small lives?

PrettyboyTim

I don't often talk to other cyclists on my commute; there's just so many of them, especially at the moment with the lovely weather 'n all.

Today I was in a group of around 20 cyclists at one point...

Not too many cyclists here, and often we are heading in different directions so no chance for conversations. However, when I do stop at lights with another cyclist I often have a chat. I wonder if folk avoid chatting to me in case they end up on youtube....:becool:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
dodgy said:
Most cyclists wave or say hello up here, there's quite a hardcore of riders in Wirral, but hardly any of them are commuters. I always nod, say 'aright' or just lift my hand from the bars briefly if I'm going for it. When the courtesy isn't responded to, I mark their cards :becool:

I find the same over here, both in Manchester and Crewe - people who don't let on being very much in the minority.

Welcome from the DVDF, by the way, assuming that you're dodgy from that parish... (I post now and then as John C there).

PrettyboyTim

Disgruntled Goat said:
Caught a chap yesterday, passed him (I was going at my own pace) said 'Alright?' as I went past. Nothing. We carry on for another 1/2 mile and then he cogs it up an incline without a word to me.

As he went by I went 'Whooooooooooo' in a shrill, camp voice. I was buggered if I was going to indulge in his little games.

You're accusing him of playing games? :biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The regulars on my commute I let on to - changed the route today and passed about 4 of them at two sets of lights - didn't say hello as I was shifting..

I usually get a nod or wave from another 'roadie' on a MTB when we pass. Most will just say hello.

Saturday's ride had me pass two sperate blokes twice - let on to both, and they let on back - I did a longer route and caught each one up again - Deja Vue !!!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Whether commuting or out for a ride, I always acknowledge other cyclists with a wave or a cheery "hello". If they ignore me, I say "Well f**k you then" to myself, and I cycle on, safe in the knowledge that I am freewheeling down the other side of Moral Highground Hill. :biggrin:

Top Bottom