TalkTalk broadband wireless?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is anyone with TT for wireless BB, and what modem router do you use? I'm looking to change from our wired Huawei modem.

We've been on Talk2 since Nov last year - so far so good. I would like to go wireless, but a little wary about do this.

Andy

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Yeah - I'm having a look at going wireless. Seems encryption is the advice. Use WPA-PSK and TKIP if possible. Keeps the hackers at bay apparently.

Trillian

i'm on talk talk and was using a netgear wireless router which has gone back in its box due to weak signal caused by my flat being built out of solid concrete!

it was working really really well when the computer was in the same room or there was a direct line between computer and router, the signal just wasn't bouncing well round the flat so i've got a really long wire, which is fine as i only have one computer.

OP
OP
andyoxon

andyoxon

Guru
Trillian said:
i'm on talk talk and was using a netgear wireless router which has gone back in its box due to weak signal caused by my flat being built out of solid concrete!

it was working really really well when the computer was in the same room or there was a direct line between computer and router, the signal just wasn't bouncing well round the flat so i've got a really long wire, which is fine as i only have one computer.

That's interesting. We have very solid walls - in fact very difficult even to put nails into. I wonder how the wireless would work...

Was thinking about the netgear: Netgear DG834G ( v.3 ) 54Mbps, or the Huawei HG520, then at least I should be able to follow the install CD. Having to play around manually does not appeal.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy) is sometimes used, but is easily hacked by those in the know i.e. it is unsafe.

You probably don't really want to know what TKIP is, but if you do - read this!

WPA (Wifi Protected Access) is a more secure method of using a wireless connection but this too can be hacked unless you use a long 'key'.

PSK = Pre-Shared Key. You program that into the router and all the computers that are going to share the connection

I've just read about WPA. Apparently the key should be at least 20 characters long and preferably 33 or more. It is best not to use common words in the phrase because hackers look for those first. Ideally, you'd use a long key made up of semi-random alphanumeric characters. I'd better change mine then!

I set up a wireless router for my ex on TalkTalk and that brings me to another point... The router kept forgetting its settings every time it was powered down. That led to almost daily support phonecalls - "The internet has died again!" - aargh! There is a setup page to go to to save all settings before switching the router off. I thought the apply button would do that. Nope! It applied the settings, but only for that session. The save function puts the settings into non-volatile memory and you need to remember to do that. Unless you like speaking to your ex of course...:sad:

Trillian

i've got the netgear DG834G which got used for a couple of months until i'd set my office up and found the computer was out of range

when I say solid walls, i mean concrete block construction 1930's style my block may be post war re-build, you never know living in coventry!

not tried the set up wizzard as that is PC only and i use a mac

could do to get rid of it as i'm happy connected by wire as it suits my purpouse better and I need to make ends meet as student loan runs out :sad:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
ColinJ said:
WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy) is sometimes used, but is easily hacked by those in the know i.e. it is unsafe.

You probably don't really want to know what TKIP is, but if you do - read this!

WPA (Wifi Protected Access) is a more secure method of using a wireless connection but this too can be hacked unless you use a long 'key'.

PSK = Pre-Shared Key. You program that into the router and all the computers that are going to share the connection

I've just read about WPA. Apparently the key should be at least 20 characters long and preferably 33 or more. It is best not to use common words in the phrase because hackers look for those first. Ideally, you'd use a long key made up of semi-random alphanumeric characters. I'd better change mine then!

I set up a wireless router for my ex on TalkTalk and that brings me to another point... The router kept forgetting its settings every time it was powered down. That led to almost daily support phonecalls - "The internet has died again!" - aargh! There is a setup page to go to to save all settings before switching the router off. I thought the apply button would do that. Nope! It applied the settings, but only for that session. The save function puts the settings into non-volatile memory and you need to remember to do that. Unless you like speaking to your ex of course...:sad:

Beat me to it ColinJ. There is this website for generating hacker proof passwords:-

www.grc.com/passwords.htm

I haven't tried it but it's recommended by a mag (PCAnswers) someone lent me.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Tisacli apparently "support" the Speedtouch 585.

Any use anyone?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
twentysix by twentyfive said:
Beat me to it ColinJ. There is this website for generating hacker proof passwords:-

www.grc.com/passwords.htm

I haven't tried it but it's recommended by a mag (PCAnswers) someone lent me.
The only trouble with those keys/passwords is having to type them in!

Hey, I've just had a great idea - why not copy the password into a text file stored on a USB flash drive? As long as you treated that as you would a conventional key for a lock (i.e. don't leave it lying around for other people to find), you could safely use it to transfer the password to each machine on your network.

That looks like an interesting website. I've bookmarked it.

Oh BTW - the router I used was a SafeCom SWART2-54125. It works reliably with an old Dell laptop using an Asus wireless network card. The router is wired to a desktop computer in a bedroom via a USB port (it's an old machine without an ethernet port). The laptop is used in the room below the bedroom and picks up a strong signal but it is only about 20 feet away through a ceiling and some floorboards.

OP
OP
andyoxon

andyoxon

Guru
Thanks for the info all. I think actually - thinking about floorboards etc the wireless should be OK.

We've been with TT since Dec 2007, and have had no probs really. We're on Talk2 Free evening and weekend call (but not 0845....), including line rental, and (8Mb) 4-5MB broadband for £16.50mth. On occasions the speed dips a bit because of peak use I guess. With our wired modem sites like BBC iplayer stream very well. When I have phoned TT I've never had to wait that long to get through.

U

User482

I have the misfortune to be with TT. They are cheap, but that's because the connection speed slows to a crawl in the evenings, and drops out altogether as and when they feel like it.

Maz

Guru
Has anyone ever suffered from headaches and stuff since they went wireless? Do the waves mess with your head?

Top Bottom