Tamiya RC models

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I used to enjoy RC models as a kid. What is the youngest age before kids can assemble them by themselves these days? Could a 9 year old do it?

I think a competent 9yr old would be able to build one quite successfully but theres really only one way to find out :okay::laugh:

I've been doing some research for my clodbuster build. I'm going to try and build in an arduino to control the show. Figure if I put the receiver inputs in to the arduino I can do clever stuff with the rear steering etc. Worth a play anyway! I had a Honda Prelude with electronic 4 wheel steering and am keen to try and reproduce it on a smaller scale :laugh:

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
Did a similar project myself on a Monster Beetle circa 1986. The restoration was more fun than the driving. Cost me a darn site more than just buying a fully restored one to begin with. In a break with tradition I went for a blackout paint job rather than the conventional red. Photos not of the finished job but the only ones I have on my computer right now.

654.JPG
yrty.JPG

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Used to race 1/10 electric RC classes, expensive game these days

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Mine are all boxed up and in the loft. Twin Dagger and another truck thing for the kids, Vauxhall BTCC and a buggy for fun. I used to run the 1/8 scale ic buggies (Kyosho Inferno etc etc), not sure if they still race them at Upton Court Park in Slough. Only trouble with the bigger buggies was space, they are noisy and stupidly fast, the local park is not the place for them.

Broadside

Guru
I think 9 is too young. There is invariably several steps in any build where the manual neglets to mention you need three hands and fingers like pipe cleaners.

I think you’re probably right, interpreting the instructions might be a struggle. I would plan to do the build with him but want him to get the satisfaction of the build and understanding the inner workings rather than me taking over!

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Some smart looking models in this thread already :becool:

I've been tinkering with my Clodbuster 😄 It's now got a nice shiny new chassis and some new suspension components :becool: I've reinstated the rear wheel steering and am waiting on the servo's to arrive before I finish the chassis off and move on to the electronics :okay:

This is the chassis as I bought her...

This is the new chassis with the first few bits transferred over...

The previous owner had mounted the lower shocks to the swing arms with P-clips which I deemed a non-engineered solution :laugh: I found some aftermarket carbon plate suspension mounts on eBay and snapped them up, this is a much better solution :okay:

The cherry on the chassis cake arrived today in the form of replacement shocks, here it is with the new shocks on the front and old still on the rear...

And here she is as she looks now, new chassis and suspension all finished. Once Servo's and battery are here I can run her for the first time since I bought her 15 months ago :becool:

Next stage after that will be to try and program an arduino to control the rear wheel steering - I used to own a Honda Prelude with electronic 4WS and I want to replicate the way that system worked on the Clodbuster, just to see if I can :laugh:

Top Bottom