Tamiya RC models

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Didn't the Clodbuster have dual shocks either side?

Certainly did. The new chassis has got space for a second but it's very common for modded Clods to go to a single shock. Aftermarket oil damped shocks tend to be stiffer than the originals and it would be over-sprung and over damped with 2 at each corner.

classic33

Leg End Member
Certainly did. The new chassis has got space for a second but it's very common for modded Clods to go to a single shock. Aftermarket oil damped shocks tend to be stiffer than the originals and it would be over-sprung and over damped with 2 at each corner.
The "after" pictures had me thinking of their TXT.

classic33

Leg End Member
Two of mine
CAM01452_1.jpg

CAM01450.jpg

CAM01454.jpg

CAM01455.jpg

I've the Mini, painted with Sid and The Gaffer on it. Painted with the Michelin man in mind. Tetley supplied the colour mixing proportions for this.

Started with the Boomerang, bought a Celica(unwanted present). Went back to the Off-Road theme with the Bearhawk & Blackfoot. I've the TA-01 and TA-02 chassis's, with a couple of different bodyshells on them. The belt drive TA-03 with a Mercedes AMG bodyshell.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
This project has stalled rather :whistle: The only real progress since the last photos were taken was attaching the servo's, and whilst the radio gear did arrive I never wired it up and ran it :shy:

Since the evenings are drawing in, and I've got a brief respite from my extension building, I figured I'd get this project going again 😊 With that in mind I'm currently looking in to brushless motors and speed controllers to give the old girl a bit more oomph :okay: Whatever I go with I'll need two of them as theres a motor per axle, and with brushless you need a controller per motor. Seems like it should keep me entertained for a few evenings anyway :laugh:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I found and ordered some suitable motors and controllers, one of which has arrived :okay: I paid for two but a mix up by the seller means the second has only just been posted from China so will be another wait until that arrives :sad:

Anyway, one shiny new brushless sensorless motor fitted along with one sensorless 60A electronic speed controller. Two of those should give it more than enough oomph :laugh:

I managed to find a red motor to match the springs and steering servos :okay: Its not just my bicycles that have to be colour coordinated :laugh:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I paid £52 inc. delivery for 2 motors and 2 controllers in the AliExpress black friday sale. They're branded "Surpass Hobby" who are apparently one of the more reputable chinese manufacturers but at that price I figured it was worth a go regardless :laugh:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
This time of year always reminds me of when I was running the Hobbystores shop. We always made a huge Tamiya order in time for Christmas and the new year. Wonder if people still buy them as presents?

Always thought this was a Tamiya but now not so sure. Anyone recognise it?

icowden

Veteran
OK hive mind...

I have just got a nice new much longer lasting battery pack for the car. But...
For some reason it won't *quite* go through the chassis slot (it goes 3/4 of the way through the first part of the slot, then the "foot plate" on the battery catches on something and it won't go any further

My options are:-
  1. Use the dremmel with a sanding attachment to try and sand down any ridges in the slot.
  2. Break the plastic wrap on the battery and try to sand down the plastic foot plate
Can't think of any other options. I am veering towards (1) as I'm worried about breaking the battery.
Anyone got any other ideas?

classic33

Leg End Member
OK hive mind...

I have just got a nice new much longer lasting battery pack for the car. But...
For some reason it won't *quite* go through the chassis slot (it goes 3/4 of the way through the first part of the slot, then the "foot plate" on the battery catches on something and it won't go any further

My options are:-
  1. Use the dremmel with a sanding attachment to try and sand down any ridges in the slot.
  2. Break the plastic wrap on the battery and try to sand down the plastic foot plate
Can't think of any other options. I am veering towards (1) as I'm worried about breaking the battery.
Anyone got any other ideas?
Don't break the heatshrink on the new battery.

Have you tried feeding the battery in from the other side?

Receiver shelf* caused some problems on the TL-01/TB-01.

*Right-hand side, behind the battery.

classic33

Leg End Member
This time of year always reminds me of when I was running the Hobbystores shop. We always made a huge Tamiya order in time for Christmas and the new year. Wonder if people still buy them as presents?

View attachment 563727

Always thought this was a Tamiya but now not so sure. Anyone recognise it?
Older Kyosho kit*?
Based on front suspension arms.

*Yamaha Jordan 192!!

icowden

Veteran
Have you tried feeding the battery in from the other side?

Receiver shelf* caused some problems on the TL-01/TB-01.

*Right-hand side, behind the battery.

Yep, tried both sides :-( What's odd is that on visual inspection there isn't any obvious impedence to the batteries progress.

classic33

Leg End Member
Yep, tried both sides :-( What's odd is that on visual inspection there isn't any obvious impedence to the batteries progress.
From memory, the two halves of the box chassis has overlapping, interlocking tabs along the bottom of the chassis. Are all these in the correct place, not creating a bump on the inside?

Should be visible from the outside, and inside with the three speed control gone.

icowden

Veteran
There are no bumps, and the factory supplied battery slides in without problem. The slightly larger foot on the new battery just seems to catch on something.
I'll post some photos tomorrow!

Top Bottom