Tannus Tyres....not bad at all!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bill

Hello, I took delivery of my Brompton 3 months ago and have adapted it to suit me. I had a red Tannus tyre fitted on the rear wheel and find no problem with it. I note people on here talk about tyre drag....whatever that is? Does this refer to the tyre being solid? On the front I have a Marathon Plus. This is pumped to around 80 pounds. At this pressure there is no difference of hardness or 'drag' as people put it, between the tyres! also I notice the Marathon Plus is a bit dicey on drain edges just like the Tannus, so that shoots that argument in the foot....Maybe people just do what people do when something different comes on the market. I am considering having a Tannus on the rear tyre of my Dahon Vitesse to boot!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I didn't like them much on my brother's road bike. They're OK until you really lean into a turn and then the cornering behaviour seems very different. This might be less noticeable on a Brompton unless it's ridden like it's raced.

As you note, they're as draggy as M+. I don't think I ride M+ any more and I won't be riding Tannus any time soon. I've regular Marathon on one wheel and softer tyres on the rest - mostly Delta Cruiser, some Kwest, possibly a Vredestein All Tour.

That said, Tannus tyres are about a thousand times better than whatever solid tyres are on ofo hire bikes.

simon.r

Person
Hello, I took delivery of my Brompton 3 months ago and have adapted it to suit me. I had a red Tannus tyre fitted on the rear wheel and find no problem with it. I note people on here talk about tyre drag....whatever that is? Does this refer to the tyre being solid? On the front I have a Marathon Plus. This is pumped to around 80 pounds. At this pressure there is no difference of hardness or 'drag' as people put it, between the tyres! also I notice the Marathon Plus is a bit dicey on drain edges just like the Tannus, so that shoots that argument in the foot....Maybe people just do what people do when something different comes on the market. I am considering having a Tannus on the rear tyre of my Dahon Vitesse to boot!

My experience was different.

‘Drag’ in this context refers to the fact that riding on Tannus tyres is like riding through sand on normal tyres - you need to put more effort in to get the same output.

Have you ridden the Brompton on standard tyres to compare?

OP
OP
Bill

Bill

Simon. F, Thanks for reply, well no, I picked up the bike and rode it. The tyres were on the bike and off I went. The bike ride feels just riding my Dahon which has Dutch Perfect tyres on. The ride feels normal as far as I know. How can they not?? I think there is a lot of nonsense about cycling. I just sit on my two bikes and ride...slowly along and not analyse every part of the ride.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Horrible things. Feel like you're riding on cabbages, and inspire zero confidence when cornering. Nothing like M+.

gaijintendo

Veteran
I draw all you oldies and womenfolk to item 6.

It may be relating to installing the tyres, but it may just be an aside...

Attachments

• IMG_20180112_205638-01.jpeg
    IMG_20180112_205638-01.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 223
OP
OP
Bill

Bill

Thanks Gaijintendo....(weird non-de-plume), for that, the jpeg you sent was written in odd English but it covers things from the makers view. When I ride I just enjoy it, I don't quibble about small unimportant things. Having no chance of the 'flat tyre feeling' on the back is great but if other people need to feel different, well...that's up to them....

gaijintendo

Veteran
Thanks Gaijintendo....(weird non-de-plume), for that, the jpeg you sent was written in odd English but it covers things from the makers view. When I ride I just enjoy it, I don't quibble about small unimportant things. Having no chance of the 'flat tyre feeling' on the back is great but if other people need to feel different, well...that's up to them....
Yeah, I'm quite interested. If any naysayers have a tyre lying around and want to pass it on, I'd be a happy recipient.

ryanme

Tannus tyres are generally found to be horrendous by anyone who has experience, "people on here talk about tyre drag....whatever that is? " without offence, sounds like maybe you do not have all that much experience?

Tannus tyres offer very little grip, they have a fair amount of drag - feels like riding through gravy, are an absolute pain for fitting / removal, do not offer any benefit over pneumatic tyre set up - tubeless sealant in the tubes and punctures are banished! Go round a corner fast, if you make it round id be surprised, the ride feel is terrible compared to a Kojak!

OP
OP
Bill

Bill

Hello D.T., EEErrrrreee, my tyre is bright RED, I wonder what that colour does to me? 'Ryanme'....Above (you work for St. John St cycles?) I am afraid I have been a life long cyclist and have no desire to go around a corner fast ..as I don't know what's there waiting for me.

ryanme

What is it about these things that makes people so agressive? "People either agree with me and hate them or they don't know what they're talking about" seems a common theme on these threads.

Perhaps it's the blue colour.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, after nearly 10 years in the industry I am just going by experience!

ryanme

Hello D.T., EEErrrrreee, my tyre is bright RED, I wonder what that colour does to me? 'Ryanme'....Above (you work for St. John St cycles?) I am afraid I have been a life long cyclist and have no desire to go around a corner fast ..as I don't know what's there waiting for me.

I do work at SJS yes, - I question that you are unsure what drag is in relation to tyres..

ryanme

I just find it interesting that these particular tyres raise such emotions. You don't really get this on other tyre discussions. OK some people think that M+ are too heavy and lumpy, while others consider them sturdy workhorses; some people think tubeless are a messy load of fuss while others think they are the future. But this is not generally expressed to the point of denigrating others who happen to hold different opinions.

I don't really care. I'm not planning on trying Tannus at all. It's just an observation.

I do agree, marathon+ are gods gift for many, but i find they offer poor ride feel, I experience no more punctures with Kojaks and they are an absolute b******* at times to fit!

gaijintendo

Veteran
This thread started about going from M+ to Tannus. If I did exactly that, I'd save about 1.1kg (no tubes, tyres, levers, repair kit, pump, rim tape).
Given the feel of an M+, I imagine that would give my bike a spirited feel, rather than a porridgy one. But until one of you Tannus haters gives me their discarded set, I'll have no opinion :laugh:

ryanme

This thread started about going from M+ to Tannus. If I did exactly that, I'd save about 1.1kg (no tubes, tyres, levers, repair kit, pump, rim tape).
Given the feel of an M+, I imagine that would give my bike a spirited feel, rather than a porridgy one. But until one of you Tannus haters gives me their discarded set, I'll have no opinion :laugh:

The weight saving is okay, but you will more than certainly make the bike feel more porridgy! - compare to a kojak to experience the difference in ride feel! plus a consideration weight saving!

Top Bottom