Tannus Tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I'd say there's zero danger of them slipping off. The beads you fit them with use the same part of your rim that the wire beading on inflatable tyres have. In fact I'm worried about what I'm going to do when my tannus outlive my rims!

This isn't some wild and unpredictable new product, they have sold by their millions in the Far East.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Are they removable?
Just wondering what you do if you need to replace a spoke?

Depends how you replace spokes. I do it by leaving the tyre on and sort of bending the new spoke into place. Haven't had to do it for years though, thank goodness!

potsy

Rambler
Depends how you replace spokes. I do it by leaving the tyre on and sort of bending the new spoke into place. Haven't had to do it for years though, thank goodness!
I've never replaced one myself but I know my lbs always likes you to remove the tyre before taking it in.

Just watched your video Andrew, what are your thoughts now you've had them a while?

Nocode

@Andrew_Culture Any issues with the tyre becoming slippery and less grippy over time? A colleague who has them has gone back to pneumatics after they lost considerable grip after a few thousand km. He had a couple of big slips and then finally an off at low speed in damp conditions.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
You have to ask yourself... is it really worth all that expense and hassle over normal tube and tyres?
How many punctures do most people get in a year?
Myself, 4 so far in near 11,000 miles of cycling.

Is changing a puncture now and again really too much of a hassle for people?

Soltydog

Legendary Member

if you work shifts & are coming home late evening/night pitch black on a rural road fixing a flat is a real PITA :okay: I'd only put them on my single speed, which will probably be my main commuting bike through winter

Nocode

You have to ask yourself... is it really worth all that expense and hassle over normal tube and tyres?

A fair point. Out of curiosity (and not wanting to derail the original thread too much) what tyres do you run?
I've had 6 this year with a lot less distance than you (only ~4k miles in 2015). However, if I up my distance to the last 11k miles I've only had around a further 3-4 punctures over that period - but still around 10 in 11k miles, so roughly 1 per 1000 miles. I'm pretty diligent with checking my tires post ride, but I'm convinced since putting on a bit of weight that my tires now cut-up more than before.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A fair point. Out of curiosity (and not wanting to derail the original thread too much) what tyres do you run?
I've had 6 this year with a lot less distance than you (only ~4k miles in 2015). However, if I up my distance to the last 11k miles I've only had around a further 3-4 punctures over that period - but still around 10 in 11k miles, so roughly 1 per 1000 miles. I'm pretty diligent with checking my tires post ride, but I'm convinced since putting on a bit of weight that my tires now cut-up more than before.

I run Spesh Armadillo's on my commute bike.
Vittoria Rubino's on my leisure bike.

Had a rear one fitted about three weeks ago, mainly because I have a Alfine 11 hub gear and it is a real pain if you get a puncture. Too early to make definite statement yet as I have also just fitted a ISM Adamo touring saddle but up until now the tyre seems ok, maybe a little harsh but O.K will report what happens after I have done 20+ ride.

DrLex

merely the moocher
Had a rear one fitted about three weeks ago, mainly because I have a Alfine 11 hub gear and it is a real pain if you get a puncture. Too early to make definite statement yet as I have also just fitted a ISM Adamo touring saddle but up until now the tyre seems ok, maybe a little harsh but O.K will report what happens after I have done 20+ ride.
Please do; as a fellow Alfine owner, I would like to read of your experience.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
@Andrew_Culture Any issues with the tyre becoming slippery and less grippy over time? A colleague who has them has gone back to pneumatics after they lost considerable grip after a few thousand km. He had a couple of big slips and then finally an off at low speed in damp conditions.

I've not done thousands of miles, but I've noticed no depreciation in grip. Mind you, I borked a rib on a damp canal path at low speed when I had tyres with decent tread!

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod

One of my clients is on a particularly crappy industrial estate and it got to the stage I was getting a puncture at least once a week. On the day I cycled to get the Tannus fitted in London I got three punctures in a row!

martint235

Dog on a bike

True but I'm now thinking of these for my SS bike (after seeing Jonny Jeez's thread about belt drive). It sounds like an idea to have a completely minimal maintenance bike in the shed that I can just grab and use (I know that the tyres are currently flat but not punctured on the SS at the moment for example)

...Not for bike-hobbyist commuters, but if you really don't want to muck around on the way to a business meeting, they seem great. If you ride a folder, with hub gears and belt drive, on rail/bus/bike combination journeys, if you wear a suit, if you ride your bike occasionally, if you are mechanically inept, if you are a little old lady who's hands lack the strength to remove or fit a tyre, these are good news.

Top Bottom