Tannus Tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Not easy at all. I removed my Tannus tyres this weekend (for good) and it was very hard to do so - as I wasn't keeping my tyres I pretty much cut them off.

Money well spent :whistle:

starhawk

When I first saw Tannus I thought they where a copy of Greentyre, but then I discovered that they are of a completely different material. I have used Greentyre on my old Mountainbike so I have experience with that tyre and would like something a little less stiff. The pins are a great idea, I once had my Greentyre fronttyre starting to worm of the rim in a thight corner. I currently ride on Marathon + but are contemplating a change to Tannus when they are worn out. I like not needing to have a repairkit with patches that dries up, pump and tools to take the tyre off and on and it's also nice not needing to check up the pressure on the tyres when you take the trike out for a ride.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
When I first saw Tannus I thought they where a copy of Greentyre, but then I discovered that they are of a completely different material. I have used Greentyre on my old Mountainbike so I have experience with that tyre and would like something a little less stiff. The pins are a great idea, I once had my Greentyre fronttyre starting to worm of the rim in a thight corner. I currently ride on Marathon + but are contemplating a change to Tannus when they are worn out. I like not needing to have a repairkit with patches that dries up, pump and tools to take the tyre off and on and it's also nice not needing to check up the pressure on the tyres when you take the trike out for a ride.

You've summed up most of the reasons I still love my Tannus. You can just get on your bike and go. I know some folk love the ritual of checking tyre pressures, but for my singlespeed I love not having to. I cycle around central London quite frequently and it's a lot more enjoyable not having to worry about cycling through smashed glass etc. I just have to make sure I make the mental adjustment before getting on my geared bike with the nice expensive tyres :smile:

starhawk

Are they removable?
Just wondering what you do if you need to replace a spoke?
How do you replace a spoke? you unscrew it with the little nipple-thing on the rim, remove it, put the new one in and screw it tight with the nipplething. Why do you want to remove the tire?

Same question goes to Drago

Last edited:

thefatcyclist

What was it about them that made you want to get rid?
I had them fitted on my mtb commuter and whilst they felt a little harsh they were stable enough although I didn't like them. My commute times took about an extra 10-15 minutes over a 12-13 mile commute through London and left me feeling completely knackered after a couple of days. I ended up going back t back to marathon plus.

starhawk

I had them fitted on my mtb commuter and whilst they felt a little harsh they were stable enough although I didn't like them. My commute times took about an extra 10-15 minutes over a 12-13 mile commute through London and left me feeling completely knackered after a couple of days. I ended up going back t back to marathon plus.

You have already explained why: "Went from 55-57 minutes to 65-70 last December. In fairness I was dieting and started lifting weights at that time as well so that may have had a bearing on my times dropping off due in part to energy levels. I switched back to the marathon plus April this year after winter layoff the only thing that changed other than the tyres was that I was no longer dieting and my times went back to what they were after 2-3 weeks."

Anyone can note that the diet and the bad time come at the same time, and when you stopped dieting the times went back to what they were. Don't think the tires had anything to do with that time, but imagination is a powerful force!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Pneumatic tyres give you a hint when they're wearing out by puncturing more and more as they wear thinner (in my experience). How do Tannus wear out? Do you get any warning before holes start appearing? Does that compromise the tyre like holes compromise shoe soles?

Top Bottom