Tannus wheels?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
How puncture-proof are tannus wheels? What are they like compared to bontrager wheels except for not being easily punctured? Are they any slower? What are the downsides to them except for the cost? Any other information that I should consider if Im thinking of buying them?

Mo1959

Legendary Member
There's been other discussions on here about them if you try the search thingy.......but the basics are that they are solid tyres so can't actually puncture but I think are quite difficult to put on the wheels. Personally I would have thought the ride would feel a bit dead, but others have said they are fine. Hopefully someone that uses them will be along soon to give you more info.

vickster

Legendary Member
Tannus tyres, not wheels.
if you enjoy riding your lively roadbike, don’t consider. They’re expensive too

OP
OP
O

oreo_muncher

I fitted some for a friend who is really worried about puncture. Once you get the hang of fitting them they are easy enough to get on. They just seem so lifeless.

uncomfortable?
Would you get them for yourself? Do you think they affect performance in any way?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A mate of mine had Tannus tyres on his Brompton.

He does lots of miles, thanks partly due to a 30 mile round trip commute several times a week.

He's never been into the equipment side of cycling, so looked rather baffled when I asked what he thought of the Tannus tyres.

"A bit iffy on white lines," was one comment.

The other was they wore out quicker than he liked for the money, so he's gone back to pneumatics.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
M+ have a tolerable but unexciting ride quality, even in the narrowest 25mm version that I've had a go on. I've never tried Tannus, so I can't compare the two, but M+ will do the job and based on a colleague's experience, the chances of getting a puncture are remote in the extreme. He hasn't had one single flat riding on crappy London roads, since he fitted the M+. before that he was getting a couple of flats a week on average. One day he got one in the morning, fixed it but was late for work and got moaned at for being late, Then got yet another one going home the same evening, when it also happened to be raining. Pushed the bike the rest of the way home and arrived dripping wet and in a bad mood. That was the final straw that made him change to the Schwalbes.

M+ has such a tough, inflexible sidewall that the wider versions are almost certainly more efficient in rolling resistance. The narrower ones are more aerodynamic and lighter weight. For typical M+ user who is cruising around town the wider the better.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
There seem to be a few good reviews on YouTube. I did think of fitting them on my bike but they don't do the width I needed and I wasn't sure about the ride.

In the end I opted for Schwalbe marathon originals.

Top Bottom