taxi drivers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
the egregious Johnson has rolled over. He told us that the Olympic Road Network wasn't going to happen. Well, according to TfL it is going to happen, although they're blaming the ODA.

http://www.thisislon...und-200-fine.do
http://www.thisislon...-olympic-ban.do

Which means that lanes on some of London's busiest roads will be reserved for Olympic bigwigs. Marylebone Road for example. Sweet. As in hugely inconvenient and outright demeaning. And, possibly expensive. Cyclists caught on the ORN will draw a £200 fine.

Step forward those champions of freedom of justice, those upholders of the common good, those paragons of civic virtue and dignity.....London's black cab drivers. They used to see the Olympics as a bonanza. They now see it as a curse. They'll be thrown in to the pleb traffic lanes. Meters will spin faster than wheels, but you can't make a living standing still. They're planning a blockade. If they pull it off, we should join them.

Oh - wasn't this supposed to be the sustainable Olympics? As in cycling and walking to the Park. Not as in limos bearing bigwigs who owe their livelihoods to their proximity to corrupt governments.

trsleigh

Which means that lanes on some of London's busiest roads will be reserved for Olympic bigwigs. Marylebone Road for example. Sweet. As in hugely inconvenient and outright demeaning. And, possibly expensive. Cyclists caught on the ORN will draw a £200 fine.

Step forward those champions of freedom of justice, those upholders of the common good, those paragons of civic virtue and dignity.....London's black cab drivers. They used to see the Olympics as a bonanza. They now see it as a curse. They'll be thrown in to the pleb traffic lanes. Meters will spin faster than wheels, but you can't make a living standing still. They're planning a blockade. If they pull it off, we should join them.

Oh - wasn't this supposed to be the sustainable Olympics? As in cycling and walking to the Park. Not as in limos bearing bigwigs who owe their livelihoods to their proximity to corrupt governments.

I've never gone on a critical mass ride, but these specially cleared roads sound absolutely splendid. So good in fact perhaps there should be a critical mass along them every day. This would have the benefit of showing the Olympic bigwigs how dedicated London cyclists are to the idea of sustainability. A win/win situation all round.
dirol.gif

Richard Mann

Nah. Because they make street life accessible to the well-off. In a smaller city, the well-off would drive (or in Oxford, cycle); in London they use taxis and trains. Just be grateful taxis aren't allowed on the road with so much as a scratch: they are very unlikely to crash into you.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
having read the latest issue of Taxi (no. 245) in which suggests that Camden Council are creating traffic jams in the hope of pushing the emissions over the EU target so that the GLA will have to pay a £300 million fine, and that cyclists will get their bikes crushed by taxis in order to ruin the taxi drivers, I'm not entirely sure it wouldn't be better just to steer clear of these maniacs!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I'm not entirely sure it wouldn't be better just to steer clear of these maniacs!

I've ridden in London twice - on the second journey, taxis nearly flattened me several times - the worst being the one who saw me indicate to move left, and then hastened to fill the gap I was about to occupy (completely pointless, there was traffic ahead and behind). "That's why they call it a lifesaver" I mused at the time.

Mad at urage

They are not public transport.
They are transport available to any member of the public, which provides a door-to-door service at a price which reflects that fact.

Since some people will want (and some will need) a door to door transport service, they are a necessary part of the overall transport network if we are to reduce private car ownership.

Bicycles are not public transport either, so what are they doing in the bus lanes (if that's what you meant)?

martint235

Dog on a bike
having read the latest issue of Taxi (no. 245) in which suggests that Camden Council are creating traffic jams in the hope of pushing the emissions over the EU target so that the GLA will have to pay a £300 million fine, and that cyclists will get their bikes crushed by taxis in order to ruin the taxi drivers, I'm not entirely sure it wouldn't be better just to steer clear of these maniacs!

I have a "friend" who is currently a member of the London Taxi Drivers Forum. It is quite a scary place to visit. My "friend" hasn't posted yet as there's a feeling that there will be only one post then a bar! However from reading the forum occasionally it does seem that us cyclists have lost our top spot as the most hated by taxi drivers. The list is:

1. Other taxi drivers that nick their fare by either overtaking and pushing in or by picking up "off rank"
2. Minicab drivers
3. Pedicabs
4. Us.

They do frequently post up pictures/videos of cyclists doing the most amazing things but rarely of taxi drivers behaving like complete twonks. If anyone want to sign up its at www.londontaxiforum.co.uk. You do need to be a member to view the posts but it's well worth it.

Mad at urage

They are available at a price, which is why they are a Tory element of public transport.

It isn't necessary, we could just ban cars from our cities, with maybe some exceptions for those who really can't manage any other way.

Bicycles do not congest bus lanes and are therefore not a problem. Taxis on the other hand do. Catch a bus from London Bridge Station, you will sit in a queue of taxis which will delay the bus getting out onto the road by at least one phase.
So they are public transport after all, I am relieved at that!

But buses are "available at a price" - does that mean they too "are a Tory element of public transport"?

Is there anything wrong with being "are a Tory element of public transport"? Does being "a Tory element of public transport" mean they shouldn't be in the bus lanes? Why?

I'll agree that causing congestion in bus lanes is a problem (although cyclists do so on occasion, such as when there are more cyclists than car drivers :thumbsup: ), but congestion happens because too many people want to pass through a place at the same time (along with whatever they want/need to carry with them). That doesn't negate the fact that shared small vehicles are a necessary part of an integrated transport system in our individualistic society, where the needs of the state are felt to be subordinate to the freedom of the individual. Of course if you want to make everyone use the same mass transport system to go to the same destinations, that's a different thing: Hardly an increase in individual freedom though.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
they're public transport when they perform as public transport - when they fill a gap in the service and move people efficiently. One passenger in the back of a cab in rush hour is not public transport. Four passengers in the back of a cab when the bus service has wound down for the night is public transport.

I've been reading more of the taxi drivers' mag. It's steaming, reaming, nut-job stuff!

Mad at urage

Taxis and limo hire are transport options available to the traveling public, so they are public transport options. They are not (usually, some exceptions of course) normally paid for by the 'public purse', so they are private enterprise* public transport.

Back when I was able to avoid owning a car, we lived at times in areas which were not well served by buses or trains (for the purposes of the trips I had to make at least). When I was for any reason unable to cycle (broken body parts; need for a particular 'look' at the other end (usually at the behest of my other half); need to carry luggage that wouldn't fit on the 'bike for a long journey etc etc), they were a valid and useful addition to my choices when considering 'How will I get there?'. As a proportion of my travel budget they (like self-drive hire cars) were insignificant, but as a matter of convenience and in allowing me greater freedom they were invaluable.

The firm I worked for kept a fleet of limos under contract. When I had to go abroad on their business, they used to send one to ferry me between home and airport: This was particularly to support my transport choice, because cycle parking at airports is (IME) less than perfect. At the time was usually alone in the car; even so it assisted a choice that was greener than car ownership.

I wonder how you feel about car share schemes, like Streetcar.

*Perhaps it is the private enterprise involvement that causes you to label them so?

Mad at urage

In terms of removing the clutter of parked cars on roads they have a fair bit to offer.
But they come "at a price". How (apart from requiring the user to get their own driving licence) do they differ from taxis? Still the potential for one-user (a.o.t. occupier) usage; still a cost. How are these not " a Tory element of public transport"?

Edit - sorry, got to go now... interesting discussion. Probably will have died by the time I can get back to it (after Father's day). Have a great weekend all.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I've never gone on a critical mass ride, but these specially cleared roads sound absolutely splendid. So good in fact perhaps there should be a critical mass along them every day. This would have the benefit of showing the Olympic bigwigs how dedicated London cyclists are to the idea of sustainability. A win/win situation all round.
dirol.gif

What a great idea!

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
But they come "at a price". How (apart from requiring the user to get their own driving licence) do they differ from taxis? Still the potential for one-user (a.o.t. occupier) usage; still a cost. How are these not " a Tory element of public transport"?

Edit - sorry, got to go now... interesting discussion. Probably will have died by the time I can get back to it (after Father's day). Have a great weekend all.
ffs! Clutter up some other thread with this ex-nihilo internet-only stuff!

Top Bottom