TDY - has Mark Cavendish had his day?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
I think he still has a few wins left in him.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Not forgetting the points jersey in all 3 GTs. Boy it seems like a long time since he won the jersey in the Vuelta. The reason for that is because it was a very long time ago. 2010!! I had to look it up. I doubt anyone currently active will pass his tdf stage win count. But I also doubt he has what it takes to get past Merckx.
It's also worth remembering that by some margin he has the most road stage wins in the Tour, a significant record in its own right.

I've no idea whether he'd see this as important, but two more stages in any of the grand tours would give him 50 across all three.

OP
OP
Doobiesis

Doobiesis

Über Member
My mistake, he is riding today.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It’s quite early season and he’s just getting going again after his illness. If he doesn’t do anything this season then maybe he has had his day, but don’t write him off just yet. I can’t see him dominating grand tour sprints again, but he has the nous to pop up and win a few more races I reckon.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
He's had a few big crashes too.
The fear factor must kick in at some point, once you realise you are no longer invincible, so he probably has a splint second of doubt and doesnt take the gaps like he once did.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
He's had a few big crashes too.
The fear factor must kick in at some point, once you realise you are no longer invincible, so he probably has a splint second of doubt and doesnt take the gaps like he once did.
I think you're right. Athletic sprinters seem to have the physiology to still be world class at Cavendish's age so cyclists should be able to too.
I've never been in a bunch sprint but I can imagine it is utterly terrifying and the slightest hesitation and you're toast. Maybe, as you say, older sprinters just lose the belief in their Exocet missile invincibility and with it their chances are gone

Top Bottom