Tea?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You took your own sarnies?
You missed a lot. The guess what this is, and what it was in a prior life. The new kids walking off with the knife and fork...

It was a funny place: we we were just south of Manchester and only a few kilometres from one of the largest and most deprived housing estates in Europe, but the town hosted some very large corporate headquarters, so even the kids at the comprehensive school tended to come from incredibly wealthy backgrounds. It means that for many, just having to carry your own meal was considered an example of extreme poverty.

I remember the dinner ladies made the class divide even more obvious by insisting that those who ate sandwiches and those who ate school meals had to sit separately.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
It was a funny place: we we were just south of Manchester and only a few kilometres from one of the largest and most deprived housing estates in Europe, but the town hosted some very large corporate headquarters, so even the kids at the comprehensive school tended to come from wealthy backgrounds. It means that for many, just having to carry your own meal was considered an example of extreme poverty.

I remember the dinner ladies made the class divide even more obvious by insisting that those who ate sandwiches and those who ate school meals had to sit separately.
You brought sarnies, you had to sit in teachers dining room. Not the main dining room. Fewer than 100 in a school of over 2,000 kids.
Always wondered what were going on in there*. Dimpled glass meant you couldn't see, with any real clarity, what was going on. Especially around exam time, answers being given to questions soon to be asked?

*Disappointed when I found out not a lot, and they were eating the same as us.

You brought sarnies, you had to sit in teachers dining room. Not the main dining room. Fewer than 100 in a school of over 2,000 kids.
Always wondered what were going on in there*. Dimpled glass meant you couldn't see, with any real clarity, what was going on. Especially around exam time, answers being given to questions soon to be asked?

*Disappointed when I found out not a lot, and they were eating the same as us.

Our numbers were a bit more even, so we just had a different row of tables. I always assumed it was so that we wouldn't ask what the h*ll the stuff was that came out of the kitchen.

Old habits die hard and I refused to eat the airline meals served in the canteen at my former (hooray) place of work...

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
You didn't enjoy school dinners then? :laugh: Well, maybe not garlic but we definitely got sago and semolina.........oh and for a real treat, pink custard! Fortunately, I enjoyed them even although we called the sago frog spawn!
I loved school dinners,
serious comfort food and the ladies at each school did amazing...
Fish Friday, haddock:wacko:
Beef Olives and on and on
any custard..
a big lump of duff dolloped with lashings of flavoured custard...
Jeez, I better stop:laugh:
none of that processed s*** they serve up nowadays.
I'll admit to saying I scoffed the lot (except puddings mentioned earlier) and it was a main meal to me...

classic33

Leg End Member
Our numbers were a bit more even, so we just had a different row of tables. I always assumed it was so that we wouldn't ask what the h*ll the stuff was that came out of the kitchen.

Old habits die hard and I refused to eat the airline leals served in the canteen at ny former (hooray) place of work...
The only real separation in the dining room/hall was boys and girls. A ten foot gap between the two areas. Seperate lines in as well.

And you brought your own in there as well, I dunno. But having put some of those airline "meals" together, I can understand your reluctance to try them.

classic33

Leg End Member
I loved school dinners,
any custard..
I'll admit to saying I scoffed the lot (except puddings mentioned earlier) and it was a main meal to me...
No sticky toffee pudding day?

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I loved school dinners,
any custard..
.....and you could even have seconds if there was any left. :laugh: Strangely, I don’t remember kids being overweight so we must have burned it off.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
.....and you could even have seconds if there was any left. :laugh: Strangely, I don’t remember kids being overweight so we must have burned it off.
Even me:laugh:
In my first primary, one kid got dropped off by car...
think my there and back journey was about 3 miles.
Hail, rain and snow.. sunshine happened twice a year, if we were lucky:laugh:
Do I have to give one IOTA?
Not a single one...^_^

classic33

Leg End Member
Even me:laugh:
In my first primary, one kid got dropped off by car...
think my there and back journey was about 3 miles.
Hail, rain and snow.. sunshine happened twice a year, if we were lucky:laugh:

Not a single one...^_^
Will you be going back to school!
You've moved up to cycling, so you'll get there quicker now.

Top Bottom