Team BKool CycleChat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

Yes that’s fine bud. I’m always up for a good debate though! :smile: And I get why it would be close to home with you with your asthma.

For what’s it’s worth I’m still a Bradly Wiggins fan. What he did for British cycling is incredible. Plus he’s got great taste in music! And even more controversial probably... I also still have a big soft spot for Armstrong. But... I don’t think Wiggins gets a free pass here.

<Tommy>

But the whole point is (and research backs it up) that these drugs like salbutamol do not give an advantage. So taking many of these asthma drugs is no different in it's performance enhancing effects as contact lenses. So yes, really. The injected drugs are different of course.

Yes sulbutinmol is a different subject. I agree. But I’m talking about Wiggins, who took cortisone.

Anyways... movie time! :smile:

Daddy Pig

Veteran
For what it’s worth Wiggins claims he took the cortisone for hay fever not his asthma.

I have also had an injection of steroids for hay fever. No noticeable improvement other than being able to see during a summer of high pollen count. Was that an unfair advantage as I could then see the cricket ball properly?

Should I have played in a seperate league for those suffering from rhinitis?

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
I have also had an injection of steroids for hay fever. No noticeable improvement other than being able to see during a summer of high pollen count. Was that an unfair advantage as I could then see the cricket ball properly?

I always felt being able to see the cricket ball was more a necessity than an advantage ... especially when coming at me at 80+ mph :eek: Those balls can sting when they hit your balls xx(

<Tommy>

There’s two different things here. The first being how we feel personally about TUE’s. If we assume he needed it for a genuine reason then it comes down to a question of whether you think this type of tue is acceptable. The second thing is whether or not we believe he took it for a genuine reason.

My personal opinion on the first point is that drugs of this strength shouldn’t be available to athletes who intend to compete under their influence. Is that harsh? Yes. But when we think about the allergy sufferer we might also think about everyone else competing, and whether they deserve to be at a disadvantage so as to try and make something totally inclusive. Where do we draw the line? At what point do we accept we are not all born equal?
My opinion on the second question is I believe Wiggins has questions to answer.

In your case DP. I’m assuming you weren’t competing at an elite professional level with strict drugs and ethical codes attached to the governing body of your chosen sport. With millions of pounds in prize money and sponsorship attached. And it also seems you took the steroid for genuine reasons. So I think you’ll be ok. Although I might note that even though you suggest no noticeable improvement other then better vision that may not be technically true.

LBHIFI

Veteran
Had a great IRL ride today. After dodging horse manure up a local hill, this was what awaited me at the top

upload_2018-7-21_22-48-44.png

Here in Dk we make everyone aware that it's our birthday by placing flags in the vicinity of our home,.

Daddy Pig

Veteran
My personal opinion on the first point is that drugs of this strength shouldn’t be available to athletes who intend to compete under their influence. Is that harsh? Yes. But when we think about the allergy sufferer we might also think about everyone else competing, and whether they deserve to be at a disadvantage so as to try and make something totally inclusive. Where do we draw the line? At what point do we accept we are not all born equal?
I think we will have to agree to disagree on this point.
You say that it should be tough titties on the athlete as this is due to their genetic disposition, however you have not considered the external factors that why so many more people suffer from hay fever and allergy related symptoms in the modern day and age... An example being the use of such as the use pesticides being a well known issue.
Is this the individuals fault?

<Tommy>

I think we will have to agree to disagree on this point.
You say that it should be tough titties on the athlete as this is due to their genetic disposition, however you have not considered the external factors that why so many more people suffer from hay fever and allergy related symptoms in the modern day and age... An example being the use of such as the use pesticides being a well known issue.
Is this the individuals fault?

It is very tough. Genetic or environmental. Is it there fault? No. But it isn’t the fault of the people they’re competing against either. Some of the fault lays with people willing to cheat by taking drugs of various types but that’s a different subject. For the record I don’t have an issue with drugs on principle. For example I have no idea why a drug like sabutonal should raise a flag. But I don’t think drugs that give a performance advantage should be allowed in pro sport. The Wiggins case for me is a prime example of why. Because whether you believe he took the cortisone for performance gains or not. The fact he took it has again raised the issue of ethics in sport.

So yeah basically. If you need to take a steroid to get you to the start line you shouldn’t be doing pro sport as a career in my opinion. Tough sh!t basically I think. There’s much worse faits in life.

Last edited:
Had a great IRL ride today. After dodging horse manure up a local hill, this was what awaited me at the top

View attachment 420462

Here in Dk we make everyone aware that it's our birthday by placing flags in the vicinity of our home,.
I remember reading about an advertisement for straw hats somewhere that said At prices this low you can run them through your horse and put them on your Roses.

Last edited:
Top Bottom